What do I do with a 2.4 GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't think it's worth trying to raise for years. I knew a kid who applied to d school for 6-7 years straight and finally got in. Must have been awful knowing that tuition went up by like 150% in that time period.

Members don't see this ad.

Very unlikely that you will get in anywhere if you graduate with a 2.4. Even 2.7 will not improve your chances very much. Most dental schools will not see that you have what it takes to succeed in a much more difficult setting.

If you want it, then fight for it. Do a post-bacc, get straight As in upper level science courses, to get your GPA up to a 3.0 so you can apply for a graduate program then maintain above a 3.8+ GPA. You will need to have stellar DAT scores.

I've had several classmates drop from my program. It isn't easy. You need to prove your capacity as a doctoral student.

Thank you for sharing.

What do you attribute their dropping the doctoral program to? Was it study habits? Couldn't cut it at all in lab?

Do you have any advice for how to avoid developing that situation?

Hi!
I'm glad you have found inner peace and satisfaction in life. That is most important!

Now let me tell you a bit about my educational background. I'll be honest. I never studied. I mean I never ACTUALLY studied in elementary school, middle school, or high school. "Studying" for me would be glancing at my class notes the night before exams, or memorizing facts and mathematical steps that I KNEW would be on my tests beforehand. I never REALLY understood what I was learning or doing....but I was a diligent student. So what did I get from all that? Straight A's. Teachers loved me. Got me into a selective uni (29% acceptance rate in US).

And this is when I started to struggle. You can't pass college exams with that kind of study habit. But 12+ years of never really learning how to study? The adjustment is huge and it doesn't just take 2 years to simply fix it. That's a recipe for failure!! With the newly found culture shock, it caused me anxiety, low self confidence, depression, and isolation. Now I'm in my second semester of junior year, and I'm slowly raising my exam scores. Let me tell you...it's still not great...but I'm going from low 20-30s to 60-70's on my exams (science classes). And I'm only hoping to continue to increase them.

So what I'm trying to say is that mistakes made in undergrad (when you're 18-22 years old -so young!) really shouldn't determine your entire future. As a to-be 22 year old college graduate next year, I should be finding ways to improve my application and myself to reach my goals in life. Some people don't want to become a doctor or dentist badly enough so they drop out of pre-med/predental once they get a small taste of the stress and slight depression resulted from when they receive low marks from science classes. I have been feeling like I've been sucked into black hole for the past 3 years and I still haven't given up yet I still have not lost my hope or desire to become a dentist. I'm still holding on to that rope, as a young and ambitious 21 year old. Although I should probably work on my mental well being...lol. But I'm still sane, no worries.

I posted this question on SDN to find new insights on how to improve and increase my chances of getting into dental school in the future.
Do people on here think that I haven't heard enough of "Just give up. You have no chance. Why are you even trying? With those grades you're not getting in anywhere. Look for other career options."? ....like seriously. lol

People typically work until they're 65-67 years old. Is a few extra years after undergrad REALLY that much of a waste of time? I'm working towards a stable career that I like. Sure, I can just give up right now and work in an office as an assistant or something (I'm psych major anyways)! Still a decent career...but so UNFULFILLING for ME.

So until I can find where my full potential stops, the race keeps going. If after 4 years of blood, sweat, and tears still doesn't get me into dental school, then I will explore other career options -no problem! That is because I know I have had already given myself a second chance, and I know that I have tried my best.
Still...I'd only be 26! But oh my! I must be old and wrinkly by then. Tsk tsk, I should have used those 4 years to explore and travel the world with a subpar job instead. -->sarcasm detected. What I'm trying to say is that changing careers without even trying is just as dissatisfying and depressing for ME. The only difference is that I have hope when I'm working towards my goal!

"Life is long. Don't settle for less. Always want more in life. Do whatever that makes you happy." is my motto.
Giving up is not in my happy bucket list. And that's just me, personally.

Cheers.

What a fantastic post. You've got a very productive, balanced and forward-looking mindset. You'll do well :)

Looking forward to seeing more posts by you. You've earned yourself a follower :)

Edit- just realized you're OP. Listen, I think with that mindset you CAN succeed. And if you ever need anything, please reach out!

Careful, last time I suggested someone look into becoming a dental therapist instead a few people flipped out.

c0520b650328920bdae85bed03f7d186_-for-why-did-i-do-that-meme-what-did-i-do-meme_552-360.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Not a bad idea. I had a former student who creatively wanted to try this, but keep in mind, most universities have a semester/quarter enrollment limit or more quantitatively, a unit ceiling (even for double majors) before they will block your registration. Most students who double major declare so ahead of time with careful planning. Unfortunately students can't stay in college forever.

I did this to maintain UG status and qualify for lower tuition/scholarships. If the OP has any questions, he can ask me about it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Curious to see what unique experience sparked your interest in dentistry then
It was a good deal for me. I had worked for dentist, oral surgeon, for two years in high school. Got accepted into a combined BA/DDS program. Went to college and D school for free. Graduated at 24.

Look, I'll be honest here, I'd change careers. I've got a 3.4 and 20 DAT and didnt get an interview this year...

There are loads of careers in STEM that are engaging and interesting. Look into C.S. or Engineering.

Besides, you dont need fantastic grades if you have an engineering degree. Just the undergrad degree. Switch majors.

If it's what you are going to die doing and you KNOW it, you need to get strait A's, no exceptions, do a masters in something while studying for a YEAR for the DAT to get a 24+ and you can get in. It's just a lot of extra work for someone that hasnt proven that they can get strait A's in STEM classes. I'd rather be a realist with you and tell you what I really think.

Besides, you cant just "take your time", a lot of schools will look at your course-load also and be like... can this guy handle the equivalent of 26+ university stem course credits at once?
So because you have 3.4 GPA and 20 DAT and didn't get an interview this year OP should change careers????

Reactions: 5 users
Thank you for sharing.

What do you attribute their dropping the doctoral program to? Was it study habits? Couldn't cut it at all in lab?

Do you have any advice for how to avoid developing that situation?

They just didn't put the time in to study. You have to be determined and disciplined, and putting off studying will bite you hard.

So because you have 3.4 GPA and 20 DAT and didn't get an interview this year OP should change careers????
Cmon man, I said I'd change. If you read on, I gave a reasonable solution for how to continue like 2 lines later if he's destined to continue the career. Pardon me for trying to make the point that it's not easy to get into, and that even with OK stats that are certainly better than the 2.8 that OP is projected to have, that you aren't guaranteed to get in. I'm trying to be realistic with the OP and give good alternatives. It's certainly possible to get in with a sub 3.0 gpa, but it only happens for under 10% of the applicants with those scores. You can look that up in Dr Toothache's documents. It can be a long, hard road to getting in. I dont really want to be the guy that bags on someones dream but its not always rainbows and sunshine and easy for everyone to accomplish the same as everyone else.

I wouldnt say he should change careers be cause I have a 3.4 and 20 dat and didnt get interviews... Id say he should consider a change in careers because he is projected (with strait A's) to get a 2.8. There's nothing wrong with pursuing other careers and everyone should feel ok to do so.

Reactions: 1 user
Cmon man, I said I'd change. If you read on, I gave a reasonable solution for how to continue like 2 lines later if he's destined to continue the career. Pardon me for trying to make the point that it's not easy to get into, and that even with OK stats that are certainly better than the 2.8 that OP is projected to have, that you aren't guaranteed to get in. I'm trying to be realistic with the OP and give good alternatives. It's certainly possible to get in with a sub 3.0 gpa, but it only happens for under 10% of the applicants with those scores. You can look that up in Dr Toothache's documents. It can be a long, hard road to getting in. I dont really want to be the guy that bags on someones dream but its not always rainbows and sunshine and easy for everyone to accomplish the same as everyone else.

I wouldnt say he should change careers be cause I have a 3.4 and 20 dat and didnt get interviews... Id say he should consider a change in careers because he is projected (with strait A's) to get a 2.8. There's nothing wrong with pursuing other careers and everyone should feel ok to do so.

Maybe your PS wasn't that great? Maybe you didn't apply broadly enough. It could be more than just 3.4 GPA and 20 DAT. Or maybe you applied late. Just because something doesn't work out for you, why do you have to tell someone else to not pursue their dream? Maybe you're just trying to limit the application pool... (DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN)

Hi!
I'm glad you have found inner peace and satisfaction in life. That is most important!

Now let me tell you a bit about my educational background. I'll be honest. I never studied. I mean I never ACTUALLY studied in elementary school, middle school, or high school. "Studying" for me would be glancing at my class notes the night before exams, or memorizing facts and mathematical steps that I KNEW would be on my tests beforehand. I never REALLY understood what I was learning or doing....but I was a diligent student. So what did I get from all that? Straight A's. Teachers loved me. Got me into a selective uni (29% acceptance rate in US).

And this is when I started to struggle. You can't pass college exams with that kind of study habit. But 12+ years of never really learning how to study? The adjustment is huge and it doesn't just take 2 years to simply fix it. That's a recipe for failure!! With the newly found culture shock, it caused me anxiety, low self confidence, depression, and isolation. Now I'm in my second semester of junior year, and I'm slowly raising my exam scores. Let me tell you...it's still not great...but I'm going from low 20-30s to 60-70's on my exams (science classes). And I'm only hoping to continue to increase them.

So what I'm trying to say is that mistakes made in undergrad (when you're 18-22 years old -so young!) really shouldn't determine your entire future. As a to-be 22 year old college graduate next year, I should be finding ways to improve my application and myself to reach my goals in life. Some people don't want to become a doctor or dentist badly enough so they drop out of pre-med/predental once they get a small taste of the stress and slight depression resulted from when they receive low marks from science classes. I have been feeling like I've been sucked into black hole for the past 3 years and I still haven't given up yet I still have not lost my hope or desire to become a dentist. I'm still holding on to that rope, as a young and ambitious 21 year old. Although I should probably work on my mental well being...lol. But I'm still sane, no worries.

I posted this question on SDN to find new insights on how to improve and increase my chances of getting into dental school in the future.
Do people on here think that I haven't heard enough of "Just give up. You have no chance. Why are you even trying? With those grades you're not getting in anywhere. Look for other career options."? ....like seriously. lol

People typically work until they're 65-67 years old. Is a few extra years after undergrad REALLY that much of a waste of time? I'm working towards a stable career that I like. Sure, I can just give up right now and work in an office as an assistant or something (I'm psych major anyways)! Still a decent career...but so UNFULFILLING for ME.

So until I can find where my full potential stops, the race keeps going. If after 4 years of blood, sweat, and tears still doesn't get me into dental school, then I will explore other career options -no problem! That is because I know I have had already given myself a second chance, and I know that I have tried my best.
Still...I'd only be 26! But oh my! I must be old and wrinkly by then. Tsk tsk, I should have used those 4 years to explore and travel the world with a subpar job instead. -->sarcasm detected. What I'm trying to say is that changing careers without even trying is just as dissatisfying and depressing for ME. The only difference is that I have hope when I'm working towards my goal!

"Life is long. Don't settle for less. Always want more in life. Do whatever that makes you happy." is my motto.
Giving up is not in my happy bucket list. And that's just me, personally.

Cheers.
is this a new troll?

You are only 21. You have lots of time to pursue your dream of becoming a dentist. Just make sure to take it seriously. There is always the option of going to a school in eastern Europe. There are very good schools in Slovakia, Hungary and Poland that would probably accept you if you improved your grades or took their year long preparation program. Obviously when you come back home you would probably have to do 2 extra years or more.

I'm fairly new to SDN so please excuse me for being ignorant about certain things.
I'm currently a junior in undergrad and I will be graduating with a 2.4 GPA at most.
I do realize that I will not be applying any time soon and will have to enroll in a post-bacc.
However, even if I do raise my gpa (probably 2.7?) how likely is it that I will get in?
Will a high DAT and 200+ shadowing/experience hours suffice? (All of this may take me 2-3 years to accomplish). During the gap years I plan to study (DAT + post bacc) and work in a dental office as a dental assistant to gain experience.

What can I do to increase my chances of getting into dental school? Note that I am serious about this and I will do anything it takes to eventually get into dental school. I'd appreciate some advice and direction on what to do. The premed/predent advisors at my school pretty much shot me down and told me to change my career path when they saw my GPA. So...yea. :/

Much help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Go to chiro school

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you study for your courses ? Any tips that you can offer to help others along the way ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using SDN mobile
Corsera have a free online class about learning how to learn. Might be beneficial for you before taking anymore classes

Don't think it's worth trying to raise for years. I knew a kid who applied to d school for 6-7 years straight and finally got in. Must have been awful knowing that tuition went up by like 150% in that time period.

Wow, I can't imagine spending that much time just applying.. I got in after my second time, but I just turned 23. However, I did not have a super low GPA like a 2.4...

Wow, I can't imagine spending that much time just applying.. I got in after my second time, but I just turned 23. However, I did not have a super low GPA like a 2.4...
Seems like the longer you wait the worse off you are not only in debts but also saturation and competitiveness. Day and gpa averages for matriculants raise nearly every year

And thanks everyone for the feedback!

You need to be realistic. I know some will say "you can do it if you try hard enough" or "you won't with a 2.4".

You're a junior right now with a 2.4. That means next year will be your senior year and you will only have 1 year to raise your GPA. Even if you get straight As for the next year and take a 5th year, it's going to take A LOT of credits to bring that 2.4 to a 2.7-3.0. I personally had decent enough grades and DAT score to get in, but I had amazing LOR, personal statement, and extracurriculars.

You need to be honest if you think you can handle the coursework for dental school. You also need to be honest with yourself with WHY you want to be a dentist. I hear too many people wanting to go into the medical field because of money and it's one of my pet peeves.

You need to be realistic. I know some will say "you can do it if you try hard enough" or "you won't with a 2.4".

You're a junior right now with a 2.4. That means next year will be your senior year and you will only have 1 year to raise your GPA. Even if you get straight As for the next year and take a 5th year, it's going to take A LOT of credits to bring that 2.4 to a 2.7-3.0. I personally had decent enough grades and DAT score to get in, but I had amazing LOR, personal statement, and extracurriculars.

You need to be honest if you think you can handle the coursework for dental school. You also need to be honest with yourself with WHY you want to be a dentist. I hear too many people wanting to go into the medical field because of money and it's one of my pet peeves.

Not necessary. I assume OP hasn't finish this quarter/semester yet. So with a senior year and a fifth year he potentially has almost another half of his college years left. Assuming he fixes his study habits and takes more courses per semester/quarter than he did before he can raise that 2.4 to over 3.3. It's all about if he is willing to try. I personally am taking 29 units this quarter (almost twice the amount of full-time course units) just to fix my tragic 2nd year.

Not necessary. I assume OP hasn't finish this quarter/semester yet. So with a senior year and a fifth year he potentially has almost another half of his college years left. Assuming he fixes his study habits and takes more courses per semester/quarter than he did before he can raise that 2.4 to over 3.3. It's all about if he is willing to try. I personally am taking 29 units this quarter (almost twice the amount of full-time course units) just to fix my tragic 2nd year.

It's also a big IF. I know for most schools the lowest GPA is usually a 2.8. A 2.7 is a minimum at most schools. With those GPAs, you would need an outstanding DAT. That is also a BIG IF for OP. Personally, for me, the DAT required a ton of studying, self-discipline, sweat, tears, and motivation. If OP knows he has to change his study habits, can he get high DAT scores with a new study strategy? Maybe. But if OP does not improve his grades after this spring semester, I think he needs to really look in the mirror and ask "WHY dentistry?"

Obviously, it's not just grades. If they see that you're involved A TON and have a 3.0, it's understandable. But I haven't seen OP talk about other factors besides grades or even why he wants to be a dentist. Where you live also is a factor too (State vs private schools)

Look, I'll be honest here, I'd change careers. I've got a 3.4 and 20 DAT and didnt get an interview this year...

There are loads of careers in STEM that are engaging and interesting. Look into C.S. or Engineering.

Besides, you dont need fantastic grades if you have an engineering degree. Just the undergrad degree. You can just switch majors.

If it's what you are going to die doing and you KNOW it, you need to get strait A's, no exceptions, do a masters in something while studying for a YEAR for the DAT to get a 24+ and you can get in. It's just a lot of extra work for someone that hasnt proven that they can get strait A's in STEM classes. I'd rather be a realist with you and tell you what I really think.

Besides, you cant just "take your time", a lot of schools will look at your course-load also and be like... can this guy handle the equivalent of 26+ university stem course credits at once?
When did you send out your application this cycle?

I honestly find it so messed up that people here are telling you to actually change your career path. Like dam, y'all get into few dental schools and hold a license to tell another pre-dent to change their career path? Listen to this and listen hard. No matter how bad you screwed up, there is a way to be good again. My friend graduated college with a 2.8, got into masters, maintaining a 3.9 there. got 23 on his DAT and applying this upcoming cycle. my POINT IS YOU CAN COME BACK STRONGER. I would suggest you to change your major to the easiest major in your college and get your gpa to a 3.0, then make sure you got no less than C in any science classes you took. if you do, then retake that class. Then apply to a post bacc or masters. Doing a post bacc or masters isn't end of the world. You will do great in masters or post bacc if you put your 100% focus towards it. If you want this as bad as you breath, nothing and no one can stop you.

Reactions: 4 users
I honestly find it so messed up that people here are telling you to actually change your career path. Like dam, y'all get into few dental schools and hold a license to tell another pre-dent to change their career path? Listen to this and listen hard. No matter how bad you screwed up, there is a way to be good again. My friend graduated college with a 2.8, got into masters, maintaining a 3.9 there. got 23 on his DAT and applying this upcoming cycle. my POINT IS YOU CAN COME BACK STRONGER. I would suggest you to change your major to the easiest major in your college and get your gpa to a 3.0, then make sure you got no less than C in any science classes you took. if you do, then retake that class. Then apply to a post bacc or masters. Doing a post bacc or masters isn't end of the world. You will do great in masters or post bacc if you put your 100% focus towards it. If you want this as bad as you breath, nothing and no one can stop you.
A 2.4 and a 2.8 are way different tbh..just saying that if he passion is denistry there are other ways than going to dental school, and these ways are cheaper and probably are better suited for the op.

Did you not read this whole post? OP is already a junior with a 2.4. If he were a freshman or sophomore, it may be a different story. OP is already majoring in psych, which is already easy. Just because you want to go to dental school does NOT mean it is meant for you. OP demonstrated he will not be able to handle the coursework for dental school. He cannot even get into a master's program with that low of a GPA. OP has not expressed why he wants to go into dentistry. Definitely, has not demonstrated he can handle the coursework. I know people who screwed up their first 2 years and then the next two years, they improved their GPA and scored well on the DAT, but I also know people who have <3.0 gpas and below avg DAT scores and still set on dental school as a senior. At my college, you cannot even get into the easiest masters' program with <3.0.

Telling OP what to do is one thing, but him actually DOING it is another.

Did you not read this whole post? OP is already a junior with a 2.4. If he were a freshman or sophomore, it may be a different story. OP is already majoring in psych, which is already easy. Just because you want to go to dental school does NOT mean it is meant for you. OP demonstrated he will not be able to handle the coursework for dental school. He cannot even get into a master's program with that low of a GPA. OP has not expressed why he wants to go into dentistry. Definitely, has not demonstrated he can handle the coursework. I know people who screwed up their first 2 years and then the next two years, they improved their GPA and scored well on the DAT, but I also know people who have <3.0 gpas and below avg DAT scores and still set on dental school as a senior. At my college, you cannot even get into the easiest masters' program with <3.0.

lol thanks. But like...I think you're (and some other people) missing the whole point of this post. I'm asking for advice on how to improve my application henceforth. *keyword: IMPROVE*
I didn't ask whether or not dentistry should be for me or whether or not I should change my career.

"Why do I want to go into dentistry? Can I handle the coursework in dental school? Am I going for the money? Can I get a high DAT? blah blah"
lol dude, do you actually think I haven't ever thought about this? Why in the world would I be so serious about fixing all this mess if I haven't thought it through? The smooth road to dentistry or medical school doesn't happen to everyone. I congratulate you for being one of the successful ones. But please don't make assumptions and undermine others' goals and passions just because they didn't follow the same path as yours.

Again, I am asking for ways to fix and improve my chances of getting into dental school in the FUTURE.

To answer some of y'alls question: Can I successfully accomplish all this? Well, I'm going to try my very best. BUT I wasn't asking that in the first place.

OP, only A's here on out. To echo what others have said, take post-bacc classes to raise your gpa. Do your research and see what the lowest GPA requirements are for decent biomedical science masters and apply as soon as you meet this minimum. When you start the masters, absolutely crush it and make sure you do well on the DAT. It's going to be a longa** journey, but you can do it if you want it bad enough. GL!

Last edited:
A 2.4 and a 2.8 are way different tbh..just saying that if he passion is denistry there are other ways than going to dental school, and these ways are cheaper and probably are better suited for the op.
He didn't ask you guys what should be alternative. Tell him hat he asked you. Nothing less, nothing more.

You are a very rude person and I don't even think you are helpful to OP. OP wants to improve. He wants to bring his gpa up and take a safer route to his destination. Tell him "how" keyword "how" can he achieve that. Rather, all these other things you suggest. Tbh, Steve Jobs's idea of inventing a iPhone was turned down and Ensteine's theories were rejected and Newton dropped out of HS. Look where these people ended up. I hope OP uses your negativity as a fueling up motivation and becomes a better and more humble dentist than you. For future reference, your attitude is terrible so work on that so it doesn't affect your patient interaction skills.

I'm fairly new to SDN so please excuse me for being ignorant about certain things.
I'm currently a junior in undergrad and I will be graduating with a 2.4 GPA at most.
I do realize that I will not be applying any time soon and will have to enroll in a post-bacc.
However, even if I do raise my gpa (probably 2.7?) how likely is it that I will get in?
Will a high DAT and 200+ shadowing/experience hours suffice? (All of this may take me 2-3 years to accomplish). During the gap years I plan to study (DAT + post bacc) and work in a dental office as a dental assistant to gain experience.

What can I do to increase my chances of getting into dental school? Note that I am serious about this and I will do anything it takes to eventually get into dental school. I'd appreciate some advice and direction on what to do. The premed/predent advisors at my school pretty much shot me down and told me to change my career path when they saw my GPA. So...yea. :/

Hey, well that is a low and I can understand it's discouraging. I did a post-bacc over at SFSU (non traditional applicant) and had many classmates that had low GPA's. I'm not sure what your science GPA is however from my personal experience I successfully completed my formal post-bacc and did well on the DAT (took it this March and posted a thread on scores). I'd definitely recommend taking some sciences through berkely extension worst case scenario because you simply register for the courses you need if you're not able to get into a formal program. But as long as you show an upward trend over the course of 2 years you should be fine.

Tbh, Steve Jobs's idea of inventing a iPhone was turned down and Ensteine's theories were rejected and Newton dropped out of HS. Look where these people ended up.

Every example you gave is either made up or incredibly exaggerated.

I don't think people are trying to criticize the OP, they're just being realistic about his chances given his situation. I wouldn't encourage someone with a major physical handicap to pursue becoming a professional athlete just because it's their dream - it's a bad idea. Encouragement for its own sake absent context or even genuine opportunity is counterproductive.

Every example you gave is either made up or incredibly exaggerated.

I don't think people are trying to criticize the OP, they're just being realistic about his chances given his situation. I wouldn't encourage someone with a major physical handicap to pursue becoming a professional athlete just because it's their dream - it's a bad idea. Encouragement for its own sake absent context or even genuine opportunity is counterproductive.
okay, but my point is that the OP didn't ask you guys for career path ideas. You guys are missing the point here. tell him what he asked; HOW CAN HE IMPROVE IN ORDER TO GET TO HIS DESTINATION.

You are a very rude person and I don't even think you are helpful to OP. OP wants to improve. He wants to bring his gpa up and take a safer route to his destination. Tell him "how" keyword "how" can he achieve that. Rather, all these other things you suggest. Tbh, Steve Jobs's idea of inventing a iPhone was turned down and Ensteine's theories were rejected and Newton dropped out of HS. Look where these people ended up. I hope OP uses your negativity as a fueling up motivation and becomes a better and more humble dentist than you. For future reference, your attitude is terrible so work on that so it doesn't affect your patient interaction skills.

My personal interaction skills were fine enough to get me into DS thank you very much. You can think I'm an dingus all you want, but I am a realistic person. You really have to be HONEST with yourself sometimes. To me, being a junior in college in a really easy major, like OP, I'd think that he has already had enough time to mature and realize his mistakes. That being said, I know people who have gotten into DS with low grades for 2-4 semesters and have raised their GPA because they realized, "oh ****, I need to DO SOMETHING if I want to get into DS."

I have friends who gave up on their pre-med path because they realized it was UNREALISTIC with a super low GPA. There is a REASON why people get weeded out. Everyone is telling him to do the same thing - raise GPA, do well on the DAT, get all As. BUT, keep in mind mOlar1!, that is IF he can do ALL OF THAT. A GPA is not the only factor for someone to get into DS. Has he volunteered? Has he shadowed? He never mentioned any of that. If he hasn't, he will have to do that, along with raising his GPA. If I were in OP's situation, I don't know if I could afford, let alone do that much studying to make up for a 2.4. Yes, I know there are people on here who have applied after 4-7 cycles and they haven't given up! Good for them, but OP is ONE person. Are they WILLING to wait that long?

Dental school is not for everyone. I'm being realistic. Not rude.

You can do it. it may not be easy, but it is possible. Don't get discouraged by being an "older applicant". If anything you will be at an advantage over your peers for being non traditional

I know it's hard to hear it, but realistically, dental schools are getting extremely competitive and it will be extremely, extremely difficult to stand out. From an admissions standpoint, there's tons of people out there who want this just as badly as you and have higher scores as well. Your advisors were correct in advising you to change careers. Don't feel bummed out by it dude, dentistry is one of the hardest professions to break into. I recently got thrashed in the 2016 cycle too haha. Don't waste your life grasping at air; there's tons of things you can do in lieu of dentistry. God speed spiderman.

To be honest, it all boils down to HOW you got the 2.4 in the first place. Did you flunk classes and get Bs/Cs because you were not keeping up with the classes academically? Or because you were just not paying attention in classes/skipping classes or had very poor study habits? Or depression, other factors? In one of your previous posts, it seems like you have the academic capability (from my personal perspective) since you were able to ace your classes and got into a selective university with relative ease without much studying (same as me).

If that's the case, by fixing what was wrong, you DO have a chance to succeed. If you want us to help you out more, let us know your exact GPA and credits attempted. @lee25 's assumption is that you are academically unable to keep up with your classes, then that's a different story because making dramatic improvements will be hard in that case.

I personally can relate to you, since I also am a very bright student but because of various reasons had poor grades from freshman to junior year in university. My junior year's grades were disastrous, Ds and Fs and Ws from just straight out not showing up in classes and finals because I lost all my motivation due to depression. But once I settled down and started to get my **** together, I have been getting As and A+s and am taking 31 units this quarter and aiming for all As. Bottomline is, it's not impossible, as long as you can identify what went wrong in your education to cause you to do poorly and can make adjustments and have the academic capability, you can make drastic improvements and take crazy unitloads to fix your poor first 3 years of university.

Other people have been criticizing you and advising you to give up on the assumption that you are not academically capable so prove them wrong ;).

Reactions: 3 users
We had an equation for this in engineering school:

lim engineering degree = business degree
GPA --> 0.00

There was a guy on SDN who graduated with a 2.7 uGPA I believe, and he eventually got into a reputable MD program as a non-URM. If he could get into medical school, then you can get into dental school... it just won't be easy (and that's an understatement).

A lot of people gave excellent advice on what you have to do from now if dentistry is truly what you're passionate about. It just boils down to how much (extremely) hard work you'll put in to reach your goal.

Good luck, OP! If you get into dental school later down the line, I hope you make a thread on SDN to prove your haters wrong haha.

It's going to take you 2-3 years of taking nothing but full course loads of pure science courses just to raise your sGPA to a 3.0+. Your first problem you'll incur is you're going to run out of useful science courses to take. Then you're going to need to enroll in a formal post-bacc or SMP upon doing this and maintain a 3.5+ while in it to prove to dental schools you can handle the rigorous workload. I don't think you're taking into consideration the 4-5 years of lost time by doing this or the debt incurred before even getting into dental school. On top of that, your options will likely be the costly OOS or private schools. So pile those 2-3 years of debt to raise your undergrad sGPA to the post-bacc/SMP to the expensive dental school cost. You're setting yourself up to be one of these "I just finished dental school with $700K of debt. HELP!" posters.

In all honestly you should at least consider an alternative career. People who throw their entire self-worth into one career making or breaking their entire life baffle me. I can't imagine most people who even post in this sub-forum would want to be a dentist if it meant eating ramen and living like a poor college student the rest of their life due to being three-fourths of a million dollars in debt from student loans alone.

What I don't understand is why everyone is telling him to take an alternative route? So OP is a Junior now so he/she is roughly 20-21 yo. Even with 2-3 years of full time course load that puts him/her around 22-25 ish (Give or take a few years). Isn't the average age of most entering class sizes 25-26? Everyone on here is crazy about stats so is that not a stat to consider? I mean 2-3 years of extra schooling is not that hard. I was 20 and after my first 2.5 years of undergrad I decided to pursue dentistry. I am now 23 (Will be 24 this year) so when I start I'll be 25, and that is the average.. am I wrong?

I mean the OP is asking for help and all everyone does is push him/her away from dentistry. Aren't we in this together?

#meh

Reactions: 6 users
Is that your cumulative gpa or science gpa? I know dumb question, but really.

OP,

Don't let anyone tell you what you can do and what you cannot do on this forum. I am a living example who got in dental school with 2.34 GPA in my undergrad and currently in my second year. Message me privately and I will let you in with more details about my journey.

Last edited: