What do I need to improve? Applying for 2018 class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeddyPain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have made a decision to change my career path, and I was hoping that I can find much needed assistance in this forum! I found this forum today, so I apologize if I break any etiquette.

Here is a little about myself and why I made a decision to change career paths. I graduated with a B.S. in Bioinformatics and B.A. in Economics in 2012. I'm a 23 year old male. I set myself up to have a career in academia as I was involved on two research projects during my undergrad. One was an independent project in which I received two fellowships to study the evolution of certain mutations in avian DNA comprising the entire diversity of modern birds (I had some wet lab exp, but it was mostly computational, so I didn't have any experience with the birds directly - but I was thinking I might be able to use this on my app). I presented my research at two conferences including a national bioinformatics conference. For the other project, we developed a software tool, and the manuscript is currently in peer review (This was a group research project, so I had less input). I am currently applying to a bio-medical graduate programs, and I believe I will get in, but I am much more interested in veterinary medicine now.

I came from a strict Greek Orthodox family that did not allow pets when I was growing up, so I had to get all of my pet love out with my friend's pets. While away at college, I purchased a hedgehog as my first pet. I loved it and I took care of him and he is still kicking it very well two years later. Around the same time, I began walking a dog of one of my professors for a year. This lead me to finally getting my first dog this past October! After weeks of deep reflection and recommendations from family members and friends, I recently decided that I want to pursue a career in veterinary medicine.

I do not have any clinical experience, so I was wondering what would be the best options for me to gain some. I currently think I would like to specialize in small animals and exotic pets, but my interests may change as I work more in a clinical environment.

How do I get a foothold in an animal hospital? I visited one of the hospitals near me, and they said they do not take volunteers, but recommended that I go to the nearby humane society. I did that and plan to volunteer my time there, but I am not sure if they have any vets on staff.

Besides the lack of experience, here are my other credentials: What are my odds?

Academics:
GPA: 3.57
Last 51 credits: 3.798
GRE: Q- 168 V 156 W-4.5 (I took them only studying the Math as that is all that Bioinformatics programs cared for. I can take them again and improve my Verbal if that is recommended).

Letters of Recommendation:
  • Program Director for Bioinformatics
  • Professor that was the PI for my independent research project
  • Professor who PI'd the other research project- current mentor
  • Currently no Vet recommendation

Other Credentials:
Worked at an High-Risk child after school program
President of Interfraternity Council
Many executive positions in my fraternity
Many services hours including helping plan two week long service trips during college.

I apologize for the length of this post. Hopefully someone will take the time to read it!! :) :) :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would get some experience in vet med beyond your own pets before you truly decide is the right path for you. theres a lot more to it than loving animals. that will be your first step and the rest will follow from there- accumulating hours, variety of experience, making sure you have all your Prereqs done for the schools you apply to and getting your vet letter of recommendation.

I will let those more experienced answer questions about your application, as I am a couple years away from applying, but I can make some suggestions about gaining clinical experience.

One thing I would do is apply to volunteer at the animal shelter or other animal-related organizations in your area. Therapeutic horse riding programs, wildlife centers, feral cat coalitions, etc. Get involved in a variety of ways, too. Help become an educator and advocate for an organization working with feral cats and promoting TNR. Volunteer on weekends to help coordinate adoptions. Maybe even open your home to foster kittens/puppies for a local animal organization. Animal experience is not veterinary experience, no, but there is a place for it on your application and you're going to want to have a balance of veterinary and animal experience in the end anyway. It's also important to get varied experience so even if you're primarily interested in small and exotic animal medicine, get some large animal volunteer experience in to show that you've explored all venues and you really know what you're getting into.

As for getting your foot in the door with local clinics, do you have a primary veterinarian? If so, this would be someone you could talk to about the possibility of shadowing or even volunteering your time. I know there are a few threads on here that have recommended asking to shadow, and seeing where that leads as far as volunteer opportunities; however, all of the veterinarians I have spoken to have not wanted to set-up a day of shadowing and get nothing out of it, but have all asked about my availability and willingness to volunteer in exchange for being allowed to shadow and observe. Because it's dependent on the clinic, I would phrase it as that you're looking for any shadowing or volunteer opportunities and make the point that you're willing to volunteer with the clinic in exchange for being allowed to shadow and observe.

You say you already went in to a nearby clinic. Where do you live? There has to be more than one clinic near you! I would go into every clinic dressed professionally, or at the very least dressed business-casual, and ask them if you may speak to the practice manager. If the practice manager is not in, let them know why you're coming in (you're considering changing career paths to veterinary medicine and are hoping to shadow/observe and perhaps volunteer) and ask when the PM will be available. They will either tell you what you've already heard, or they'll at least take a message or let you know when the PM will be in and you can come back at a better time. I would say go in to every clinic within range for you. If they offer you an opportunity, be persistent about it and follow it up. Make follow-up calls when necessary and for anyone willing, ask to fill out an employment application in case anything opens up (for example, some veterinary offices have boarding kennels and need the help of seasonal staff, which would allow you an "in" and to prove your work ethic while also being exposed to a clinical setting). Call around and don't be shy about explaining your situation.

Another thing you could do is stick your neck out on the line and look through CL. I scored a job at a dental clinic because I stuck my neck out to reply to a CL ad. They had posted wanting an RVT or someone with at least 2+ years experience, and since I didn't have that, I explained my situation and offered to volunteer and help out. They were busy, they needed help, so I took the chance. Now I'm a hired employee and being trained as a veterinary assistant. Sure, there were some ads like this that I responded to that I did not hear back from, but I would say it's still worth it to put your neck out and at least try. Worst that can happen is they don't call you. Best that happens is they're so busy they're willing to train (and some ads state that they are willing to train for someone who's willing to commit a certain amount of time to working at their clinic).

Overall, though, I would say be persistent and even when they don't take or are not looking for volunteers, ask to fill out an employment application in case anything opens up within the scope and realm of your capabilities. The two veterinary positions I scored were by responding to a CL ad and by talking directly to a veterinarian who has seen one of my pets and euthanized two others. He took the time to talk to the PM and voila, I was in. It's really a matter of both luck and persistence! And of course, being willing to do the non-veterinary related jobs and work your way up. The vet at my dental clinic recently told me that she had a volunteer come in who observed but who was not willing to do laundry, scoop poop or clean the exam rooms because it wasn't "veterinary related." You need to be willing to prove that you're dedicated, regardless of what that means. Don't think volunteering means you're going to get to go in and learn how to restrain, draw blood and insert catheters on your first day! Be prepared to sweep, mop, scrub blood off cages and instruments and scoop poop from the grass outside, and be enthusiastic about it. :p Another option is to be willing to sign a release of liability, as for some veterinary offices, liability is a big thing. I was told that that's something you can offer if you're turned down by a clinic that "doesn't take volunteers."

I would also Google around and see if your school has a pre-vet club. If they do, they should have a website and oftentimes, the website will list organizations to volunteer at or will list bios on the members of the club, which will also include where they have worked or gained experience. Oftentimes, these can be good places to start, as can looking around to see if there are any veterinary offices that might be affiliated with your old college. Pre-vet students in your area have to gain clinical experience somewhere. It's a matter of finding out where veterinarians are willing to take untrained, inexperienced students on.

And I definitely would suggest gaining experience in vet med before applying to vet med, or at least applying to both your original program and DVM programs. While I definitely understand that lightbulb moment when you wonder what you're doing in your major, I also think that a hedgehog and a dog and a love for animals should not necessarily be the primary reason for wanting to go into vet med, because being a veterinarian is about a lot more than pet ownership and a love for animals. There are some cases, for example, where technicians interact more with the animals and participate more in the animal care than the veterinarians do, who do most of the diagnosing and the talking with the people. I have a friend who's a vet tech and chose veterinary technology for that reason; at the clinic she works, the techs spend more time with the animals and the vets deal more with the diagnostics and the patients and actually performing procedures such as surgeries. I think it's important to become involved in a clinical setting and see what it entails before making a final decision. My .02. :)

Edit: I would also cross-reference and see what pre-requisites you need before applying to veterinary medicine. I am not sure what Bioinformatics entails, but most veterinary schools require two semesters of General Chemistry w/Lab, two semesters of Organic Chemistry w/Lab, two or three semesters of Biology, Statistics, Pre-Calc and/or Trig, Biochem, a certain amount of credits in Humanities and English Composition, and some require Microbiology, Genetics, etc. as well as electives. So I would definitely look into if you've met all the pre-reqs of your chosen schools.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How do I get a foothold in an animal hospital? I visited one of the hospitals near me, and they said they do not take volunteers, but recommended that I go to the nearby humane society. I did that and plan to volunteer my time there, but I am not sure if they have any vets on staff.

You've just got to keep going to places and asking, and asking people you know if they know a vet, and etc. What about the vet you use for your animals? Also, you can try asking to shadow if they don't take volunteers. There are several threads on here with advice about this.

Don't be discouraged if it takes a while. I'm currently volunteering at a vet clinic after four months and over a dozen clinics worth of looking, calling, dropping off resumes, and meeting with vets and techs and receptionists. Last year I called every vet and animal shelter within a 45 minute drive of my house, and I only got to volunteer or shadow at three of them, but that got me nearly 500 hours of experience and two letters of recommendation. Keep on asking until someone lets you in!

I would get some experience in vet med beyond your own pets before you truly decide is the right path for you. theres a lot more to it than loving animals. that will be your first step and the rest will follow from there- accumulating hours, variety of experience, making sure you have all your Prereqs done for the schools you apply to and getting your vet letter of recommendation.
I definitely agree with that point as this is still a tentative decision awaiting my experience in vet med. However, there were many other positive factors that lead to my decision. I just didn't want to write too much in my first post.

Any tips on how to find a vet that will let me shadow them?

You'll probably get more responses if you post in the "What are my chances" thread. Many have posted on their asking the same questions you are here. You'll be able see feedback on their stats that can give you an idea of your own. Also check out the successful applicant stats thread from this year and prior years. That will give you an idea of the sort of credentials people have had that have gotten in.

It sounds like you have almost no animal/vet experience. Your research experience could count as vet experience potentially if it was supervised by a PhD scientist-- but you'll have to read more about specific school's policies to know for sure. The rest of your application seems pretty solid.

You honestly may not have much luck applying this year. Making this career goal switch and then applying so soon, my guess is most schools will question your commitment to the profession and how much you really know about it. If you get a full time vet gig in the near future and work at it for the whole summer, with some other experience on the side, you might be able to prove that you're serious.

It also depends on your career goals and where you apply. If you're interested in research and apply at a school with a strong research focus, your research experience may help to cover the other weaknesses in your experience. But if that's not where your interest lies, you'll really need a lot more clinical experience.

Last edited:
Any tips on how to find a vet that will let me shadow them?

Yes.

1. Networking. Do you know somebody that knows a vet? Use that connection. Do you have a vet for your dog? Use that connection. I got my foot in the door at a clinic because an undergrad study partner was some distant relative to a local vet but they had one of those big extended families where everyone gets together and nobody's sure how they're all related. Four years later I still hang out at that clinic when I can get time. They're awesome.

2. Bang on doors. Nothing wrong with walking into a clinic in business casual clothes and saying "Hey, I'm trying to get into vet school and I'm looking for a place to hang out for a day or two." Don't try and sell them on taking you on long-term out the gate - just see if you can shadow for a day or two. If you don't like them - no harm, no foul, and you move on. If you do like them, they probably like you too and won't object when you say "Can I come back again?"

There's nothing magical about it, so don't over-think it. :)

If you are near a vet school and have a teaching hospital nearby (I didn't see where you're located), you might check and see if they take volunteers. I know they all say that an internal reference doesn't give you a leg up, but years of business experience says otherwise. I did two years of volunteer work at our hospital.

And of course, being willing to do the non-veterinary related jobs and work your way up. The vet at my dental clinic recently told me that she had a volunteer come in who observed but who was not willing to do laundry, scoop poop or clean the exam rooms because it wasn't "veterinary related." You need to be willing to prove that you're dedicated, regardless of what that means. Don't think volunteering means you're going to get to go in and learn how to restrain, draw blood and insert catheters on your first day! Be prepared to sweep, mop, scrub blood off cages and instruments and scoop poop from the grass outside, and be enthusiastic about it. :p

Being enthusiastic about cleaning up poop is key. It gave me the chance to do a lot of amazing things in my internship that no one else ever got to do. People get very impressed when you can be dedicated and keep a positive attitude even when all you're doing is cleaning poop and mopping the floor, etc. Especially when others around you aren't so enthusiastic about it. Believe me, I'm the person who all the interns in my place complain to, and I've worked with lot of interns who wouldn't stop complaining about not getting to do the cool things... some of their complaints were justified, others would have gotten much farther if they didn't complain so much :rolleyes:

Being enthusiastic about cleaning up poop is key. It gave me the chance to do a lot of amazing things in my internship that no one else ever got to do. People get very impressed when you can be dedicated and keep a positive attitude even when all you're doing is cleaning poop and mopping the floor, etc. Especially when others around you aren't so enthusiastic about it. Believe me, I'm the person who all the interns in my place complain to, and I've worked with lot of interns who wouldn't stop complaining about not getting to do the cool things... some of their complaints were justified, others would have gotten much farther if they didn't complain so much :rolleyes:

I completely agree! The reason I was offered a job was due to the fact I was enthusiastic, hard working and maintained a positive attitude even when my duties were not glamorous. This was from both the veterinarian's and the technicians' mouths, so I would pay definite heed to the resounding theme. :p Being willing to work your way from the ground up really shows your dedication and willingness to learn because believe it or not, there's a surprising amount of people who will flat out refuse to do the dirty jobs or who will moan about it while doing them!

+1 on finding non-traditional experience.

I volunteered at the zoo for 7 years, wildlife rehabilitation center (around my FT work+classes schedule) and at a therapeutic horse riding center. All amazing experiences. I am so glad I got the experience to volunteer with a diverse array of species and I feel very strongly about volunteering your time to so many worthy causes.

Plus if you can pad your vet resume while doing it, why not??

I have made a decision to change my career path, and I was hoping that I can find much needed assistance in this forum! I found this forum today, so I apologize if I break any etiquette.

Here is a little about myself and why I made a decision to change career paths. I graduated with a B.S. in Bioinformatics and B.A. in Economics in 2012. I'm a 23 year old male. I set myself up to have a career in academia as I was involved on two research projects during my undergrad. One was an independent project in which I received two fellowships to study the evolution of certain mutations in avian DNA comprising the entire diversity of modern birds (I had some wet lab exp, but it was mostly computational, so I didn't have any experience with the birds directly - but I was thinking I might be able to use this on my app). I presented my research at two conferences including a national bioinformatics conference. For the other project, we developed a software tool, and the manuscript is currently in peer review (This was a group research project, so I had less input). I am currently applying to a bio-medical graduate programs, and I believe I will get in, but I am much more interested in veterinary medicine now.

I came from a strict Greek Orthodox family that did not allow pets when I was growing up, so I had to get all of my pet love out with my friend's pets. While away at college, I purchased a hedgehog as my first pet. I loved it and I took care of him and he is still kicking it very well two years later. Around the same time, I began walking a dog of one of my professors for a year. This lead me to finally getting my first dog this past October! After weeks of deep reflection and recommendations from family members and friends, I recently decided that I want to pursue a career in veterinary medicine.

I do not have any clinical experience, so I was wondering what would be the best options for me to gain some. I currently think I would like to specialize in small animals and exotic pets, but my interests may change as I work more in a clinical environment.

Besides the lack of experience, here are my other credentials: What are my odds?

Academics:
GPA: 3.57
Last 51 credits: 3.798
GRE: Q- 168 V 156 W-4.5 (I took them only studying the Math as that is all that Bioinformatics programs cared for. I can take them again and improve my Verbal if that is recommended).

Letters of Recommendation:
  • Program Director for Bioinformatics
  • Professor that was the PI for my independent research project
  • Professor who PI'd the other research project- current mentor
  • Currently no Vet recommendation

Other Credentials:
Worked at an High-Risk child after school program
President of Interfraternity Council
Many executive positions in my fraternity
Many services hours including helping plan two week long service trips during college.

I apologize for the length of this post. Hopefully someone will take the time to read it!! :) :) :)
Hey TeddyPain! I felt like contributing my 2 cents since I, too, am a "career changer" and will be applying to vet school for the class of 2018. I started out as a music major and halfway through realized I'd rather pursue my other longtime dream of vet med... ended up finishing my music major while simultaneous working on the pre-reqs and getting vet work experience. The vets I've worked with have repeatedly told me that my music background is NOT a bad thing and may even help me "stand out" -- so don't be concerned about having a slightly different background :)

That said, I agree with what some of the others have said about checking the pre-reqs. Have you taken lots of biology and chemistry and science labs?

As for getting vet experience, here's what I did: I got a list of nearby vet clinics, called, and said in my friendliest voice: "Hi, I'm a pre-vet student and am wondering if there's any chance you would let me help out with cleaning kennels?" I'm not kidding -- that's exactly what I said. They were usually pretty surprised but once a place told me yes, helping with kennels slowly morphed into other animal-related tasks, meeting vets, shadowing surgeries, and even doing some tech work like running blood and urine tests, helping with vaccines, etc. I think the key, as others have already said, is to prove you're willing to do all the dirty work.

If you DO end up applying this summer, start now on writing a convincing personal statement. In mine, I'm planning to emphasize the fact that I have ALWAYS had an interest in vet med, but wanted to take a chance with my music dreams while I was young and still had the chance. Now that I've experienced a totally different world, giving me something to compare to, I can say I feel even more certain that the vet med world is for me. I see where others are coming from when they wonder if the adcoms will think you're serious enough, but a good personal statement explaining where you're coming from can really help :)

As for getting vet experience, here's what I did: I got a list of nearby vet clinics, called, and said in my friendliest voice: "Hi, I'm a pre-vet student and am wondering if there's any chance you would let me help out with cleaning kennels?" I'm not kidding -- that's exactly what I said. They were usually pretty surprised but once a place told me yes, helping with kennels slowly morphed into other animal-related tasks, meeting vets, shadowing surgeries, and even doing some tech work like running blood and urine tests, helping with vaccines, etc. I think the key, as others have already said, is to prove you're willing to do all the dirty work.

And if they say no the first time because they either aren't hiring or chose an applicant with more experience than you (this happened to me), try again later! I was denied a position as a kennel attendant because I didn't have any experience, so I went and volunteered at a cat shelter for two months and then called them back--BAM, hired. :thumbup:

And if they say no the first time because they either aren't hiring or chose an applicant with more experience than you (this happened to me), try again later! I was denied a position as a kennel attendant because I didn't have any experience, so I went and volunteered at a cat shelter for two months and then called them back--BAM, hired. :thumbup:

:thumbup: Good idea, Kernel. Actually, I should have specified that I asked all the places if I could help clean kennels for FREE, not as a paid kennel assistant. I'm pretty sure that's why they said yes. But within a few months, once they knew me and decided they liked me, I started getting paid to do not only kennel work but some of the tech work as well. It can be done! :)

Update for you all! I went to work this morning and I got my first volunteering/shadowing job set for this Friday! I think I have another one set at another animal hospital that should be starting soon - friend of my sisters is getting me the in. I also asked the first animal hospital if they had any job openings, no matter how menial, and they said they have a receptionist position that I may be suited for.

Is it okay if I get all of my experience at two animal hospitals or should I look into other means also? How do I diversify my experience? I live in a suburb of Chicago, so should I look into internships at the Aquarium or Zoo? Will that technically be Animal exp and not Vet exp? Should I lean towards more Vet hours than Animal hours?

Here is a list of all the science related courses I took in my undergrad. Some are computer science related, but I did most of my projects on biological problems if that makes a difference. The bioinformatics major didn't require Orgo Labs, so I didn't take them. Should I look into taking them and Physics II?

List of Bioinformatics focused classes

General Biology I
General Biology I Lab
General Chem A Lec/Disc
General Chemistry Lab A
General Chemistry Lab B
General Biology II
General Biology Lab II
General Chem B Lec/Disc
Genetics
Organic Chem A Lec/Disc
Intro Object-Oriented Programming
Genetics Laboratory
Organic Chem B Lec/Disc
Data Structures and Applications
Survey in Biochemistry
Proteomics
Discrete Structures
College Physics I Lec/Dis
Bioinformatics Research (X3)
Evolution
Genomics
Design/Analysis Comp Algorithm
Bioinformatics
Forensic Molecular BiologyLcLb
Computational Biology
Advanced Biostatistics
Undergraduate Research Methods

Here is a list of all the science related courses I took in my undergrad. Some are computer science related, but I did most of my projects on biological problems if that makes a difference. The bioinformatics major didn't require Orgo Labs, so I didn't take them. Should I look into taking them and Physics II?

List of Bioinformatics focused classes

General Biology I
General Biology I Lab
General Chem A Lec/Disc
General Chemistry Lab A
General Chemistry Lab B
General Biology II
General Biology Lab II
General Chem B Lec/Disc
Genetics
Organic Chem A Lec/Disc
Intro Object-Oriented Programming
Genetics Laboratory
Organic Chem B Lec/Disc
Data Structures and Applications
Survey in Biochemistry
Proteomics
Discrete Structures
College Physics I Lec/Dis
Bioinformatics Research (X3)
Evolution
Genomics
Design/Analysis Comp Algorithm
Bioinformatics
Forensic Molecular BiologyLcLb
Computational Biology
Advanced Biostatistics
Undergraduate Research Methods

Depends on what schools you plan to apply to. You might need more physics. You might need ochem labs. You might need nutrition, or animal science, or public speaking or biochemistry or calculus or whatever else certain schools require. Requirements vary from school to school so its best to get the info straight from the websites or admissions departments of places you are considering.

Is it okay if I get all of my experience at two animal hospitals or should I look into other means also? How do I diversify my experience? I live in a suburb of Chicago, so should I look into internships at the Aquarium or Zoo? Will that technically be Animal exp and not Vet exp? Should I lean towards more Vet hours than Animal hours?

I think two animal hospitals is fine, just supplement that with a little something interesting -- zoo or aquatics would be great. It counts as vet experience if it is overseen by a health professional, so if possible see if there is an exotic vet on staff there.

Sidenote -- since you say you live in Chicago, I assume you're an Illinois resident? I am too, and will definitely be taking advantage of that in applying to U of I vet school :)

Definitely yes to the Physics II. Pretty much every vet school requires it. Probably yes to orgo lab as well... here's a helpful link with all of the requirements for all the vet schools: http://www.aavmc.org/College-Specif...ific-Requirements_College-Specifications.aspx

Unfortunately you will have to do your own leg work on what different schools require for pre-requisites :) Before you can get there, you'll have to compile a list of schools to which you want to apply in the first place, which will depend on your grades, GRE scores and experience hours. You'd think they'd all have the same pre-reqs, but that would make it faaar too easy:laugh:

As for your experience hours, vet hours are more "valuable" on the application than just animal experience hours. I would recommend diversifying your experience- choose one of the SA clinics and then something different. It would be beneficial to check out some large animal vets, even if they are farther away. Shelter medicine is mostly small animals but they're a different environment and mindset than many SA clinics so I think it would be worth checking that out too, especially if there is a vet on staff or certain days that (s)he visits the shelter.

Good luck!

Update for you all! I went to work this morning and I got my first volunteering/shadowing job set for this Friday! I think I have another one set at another animal hospital that should be starting soon - friend of my sisters is getting me the in. I also asked the first animal hospital if they had any job openings, no matter how menial, and they said they have a receptionist position that I may be suited for.

The two SA hospitals are a good place to start. Spend some time at them and see which one you like better or which one seems more open to giving you more opportunities down the line (ie, a job). While you're doing this, you can start looking for other opportunities. Don't give up doing both SA hospitals until you have something else lined up. Most likely a zoo or aquarium internship will be animal experience, but that's not a bad thing per se, especially if you're getting a significant amount of vet hours elsewhere. It gives you the chance to add some diversity to your app. However if you have the chance for a different vet experience (ie large animal, equine, exotics, lab animal, etc.) I'd probably do it before an interesting animal experience, given the short amount of time you've given yourself to get experience. Do you have any idea what area of vet med you're interested in? If you do, make sure you spend a significant amount of time in that area, while still getting diverse experience. If you don't, then you'll want to experience as many aspects of vet med as you can, but make sure that at least one experience is fairly in depth and with a higher level of responsibilities. Use your spare time to get in some animal hours. These generally aren't as valuable as vet hours, but they're still going to want to see some on your app. Volunteering at a shelter is an easy way to get some animal hours in, and you might get the chance to shadow the vet or volunteer in the hospital.

My advice would be not to rush it. If things seem to fall into place easily for you and you feel confident in the hours you're getting, and if you're able to get any missing prerequisites done by the necessarily deadline (varies by school) while doing all this experience, go ahead and try to apply this year. But keep an open mind about waiting a year. When I finished undergrad I planned to squeeze in as much experience as possible in the summer then apply to school, because I really didn't get much experience during school. I ended up passing up some potentially good experiences (such as a seal rescue internship) in my goal to get ideal vet experience so I'd be able to apply that cycle. And I really stressed myself out. I ended up not getting any of the vet experiences I was going for and wound up having almost no experiences and had to wait another year to apply. I would have been better off not rushing things from the start and just taking whatever experiences came my way.

Everyone here has given great advice.

As a reminder OP - do not neglect your bioinformatics/research experience. That alone makes you a very unique applicant. Use it to your advantage. There are going to be a lot of people with a lot of clinical work under their belts - your experiences make you unique (and many vet school LOVE research experience on apps, especially bioinformatics because it is such a promising and popular field right now). Don't try to hide it or downplay it on your application - explain how it helped get you interested in science, tie it into medicine, etc.