What do programs look for during interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otherstuff12321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to a lot of anesthesiology programs and was invited to my very top choices for interviews. I have mostly honors in my transcript and even got AOA somehow. However, I'm kinda awkward during interviews and I'm not sure I stand out much among the crowd. Both the interviewers and other interviewees have all seemed super laid back and friendly so far, while I've been acting like a nervous robot the whole time.

Anyway, how exactly do programs use interviews to rank their applicants? I imagine it's very subjective but do they assess applicants based on how they "feel" about them? Or is there some sort of checklist they usually go by? Do they look for super articulate extroverts who can bring on the charm? And how much do these interviews impact one's ranking among the other interviewees? Am I screwed?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Take a deep breath, meditate, maintain good mannerisms, imagine you’re on a first date. Be pleasant but not too controversial or out there. Form hand shake, don’t slouch etc etc

That’s a start I guess

That’s probably 80-90% of it

You did very well in Med school to get AOA etc. If you just be yourself what you’ve done to be successful in Med school in your interviews you will do well again. So yeah, this is one of those “just be yourself” advice that’s probably not helpful. But it’s true. You are a great candidate. Believe in yourself and abilities. What you describe as awkward or robotic was enough to get noticed in medical school to stand out and get honors and AOA. You got this! Good luck

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They already know you’re qualified. You said your interviewers were friendly and laid back. Be like them.

Is this person easy going and easy to be around? Would I want to spend a lot of time with them?
Would I want to take call with them?

I applied to a lot of anesthesiology programs and was invited to my very top choices for interviews. I have mostly honors in my transcript and even got AOA somehow. However, I'm kinda awkward during interviews and I'm not sure I stand out much among the crowd. Both the interviewers and other interviewees have all seemed super laid back and friendly so far, while I've been acting like a nervous robot the whole time.

Anyway, how exactly do programs use interviews to rank their applicants? I imagine it's very subjective but do they assess applicants based on how they "feel" about them? Or is there some sort of checklist they usually go by? Do they look for super articulate extroverts who can bring on the charm? And how much do these interviews impact one's ranking among the other interviewees? Am I screwed?

Thank you!
I'm not in academics but when I interview someone I'm trying to size up their attitude and judgement. Any hint of arrogance is a huge turnoff. You basically want to come across as a team player that's not going to cause any problems for the person hiring you.

Reactions: 1 user
otherstuff12321,

The advice I have for you at this point is to not overthink things. Feel good about yourself and the work you have done. You said it yourself; you have invitations to interview at many of your very top programs. That happened because those programs noticed the work that you did and are interested in seeing if you are a good match for their program. Since you applied to a lot of places, I’m willing to bet your pile of invitations is large enough that you are considering dropping a few. In a cycle that has been very difficult for many applicants, you are doing better than most.

You are certainly not “screwed.” If you leave your interviewers feeling confident that you are going to apply the same professional effort towards residency that you did towards medical school, you are going to do great.

As for your other questions…you answered them all yourself. Interviewing is almost entirely subjective. What programs are looking for vary largely from program to program, and even interviewer to interviewer. Every program/interviewer is different in what they are looking for, how they look for it, and how much it matters in terms of ranking.

I will even go as far as to say that how a program approaches an interview will vary based on the quality of applicant. But in all cases, it is safe to say that if you’ve been extended an invitation to interview somewhere, that program is sincerely interested in your potential as an applicant. Interview slots and the departmental resources involved in evaluating them are too precious to assign them frivolously.

To all the students here. I hope you know that program directors by and large have a lot of empathy for what you are going through. A large portion of our annual meeting last week was spent discussing changes intended to make the process better for the students. The circumstances that have led us here, where it is common for applicants to apply to 100+ programs, have made things more difficult for everyone.