what do you recommend

caleb2334

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm currently a senior in high school. I know I want to go to medical school. I researched tons of bachelor degrees to find ones id like that would also help prepare me. My main question is would ultra sound tech be an OK choice as far as prep and possibly getting accepted. Like does it show enough interest.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't know ultrasound tech was an undergrad major.

I'm starting college in a few weeks but I can answer your question. It doesn't matter what degree you get in undergrad to get into medical school. Most people end up majoring in a science because it is the most convenient. However, you can be a music major, history major, engineering major, or even business major and get into medical school. As long as you do well in school, take all the prerequisite classes, do well on the mcat, and have a good list of extra cirricular activities and letters of recommendation you have a shot. Ultrasound tech is not a major as far as I know. If you're going to school to be an ultrasound tech I don't think that's what you wanna do if you wanna end up in med school (similar in a way to if you wanna be a doctor you shouldn't go to nursing school for undergrad).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I'm currently a senior in high school. I know I want to go to medical school. I researched tons of bachelor degrees to find ones id like that would also help prepare me. My main question is would ultra sound tech be an OK choice as far as prep and possibly getting accepted. Like does it show enough interest.
Biology is a good place to start. A major that includes most of the basic information necessary to do well on the MCAT is common but any major in which you can excel is fine. The "major " you mentioned isn't found at most liberal arts colleges and would identify you as someone coming from a "vocational arts" background. This is probably not a plus.

Reactions: 1 users
If that is you in your profile pic, you may want to change it to maintain anonymity.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I wouldn't think a vocational program is that great of a choice (not even sure it's accepted?), and you wouldn't have much time to use the skills without several gap years. That said, US techs are quite useful to have around so I am sure there is a pretty good job market if you're interested in exploring it.

Technicians of most sorts are of an associate degree and sometimes just certificated (certified) - you need an actual major

The bachelor is called sonography but I will explore others. Is there any more you guys would recommend that prepare you

The bachelor is called sonography but I will explore others. Is there any more you guys would recommend that prepare you

I never heard of that being a major before. Be sure you are looking at the bachelors degree section.

Like others said, you just need a 4 year degree. Majoring in biology in most institutions will allow you to graduate with all the pre-reqs needed to get into med school and prep you for the MCAT. You do need to realize however that you may not want to go to medical school after a couple semesters. Be sure that your undergrad degree can also serve as a backup.

If you like engineering, you may want to look into biomedical engineering. My school promotes this as a great pre-med major and it also doubles as a great plan B. Don't be just another biology pre-med if you don't like biology. I will warn you, biology is the study of all life (not just humans). You will be stuck learning about ecosystems, plants, evolution, and everything else in the animal kingdom. My developmental biology class was all about studying mice, chicks, fly's, and sea urchins. If this isn't what you like, you may just want to take the basics (bio/chem/phys/orgo/etc).

I also want to warn you that some schools recommend courses like genetics, biochemistry, dev bio, anatomy and physiology, cell bio, etc. If you wan't to take these recommendations to heart then you may want to stick with the biology major as many of these courses are upper level bio classes (depends on your institution, check pre-reqs).

Reactions: 1 user

I wouldn't recommend majoring in something if you aren't going to like it or don't like it, because you may not do good. As other people stated, Biology is a good major, but I wouldn't major in it if you really don't like it.

If sonography is actually a 4 year degree and it interests you go for it, just make sure you take the pre-requisites that med schools require if they're not a part of your major. If you're just doing the major because you think it will look good to med schools, then don't. A 3.8 GPA in underwater basket weaving looks better than a 3.3 GPA in neuroscience if your MCAT is solid and you take all the necessary classes. Pick a major you enjoy where you can get a 3.7+, do well on your MCAT, and get some decent ECs and you'll be in a good place when the time comes to apply to med schools.