What do you think of these "minimum requirements" to get into the Baylor EM Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phosphorous555

Reaction score
Unsure how to feel about this...

and the follow up...

Members don't see this ad.

Tweet 1 is reasonable.

Tweet 2 is how you get people complaining about reverse racism. If you interview a bunch of people and that happens to be your class at the end of the day, awesome sauce. If you intentionally picked people because of "justice," then that's making choices based on the color of someone's skin and not the content of their character.

Reactions: 10 users
This is so cringeworthy and seems a bit odd that they clearly decided not to rank many, if any, non-minority candidates in such a large residency class. That is just taking an admirable idea, and just going completely overboard with it for the Twitter likes.

Also, as a racial minority, if I matched into this program, and they used my face and name to claim “this is justice”, I would be a bit offended. Justice for what? It makes it seem like they are providing some sort of charity for these residents rather than them getting in based on the merits of their application. I’m sure that at least a few of those individuals came from privileged backgrounds and are not in need of “justice”.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Standard Baylor didactics day;

"How to: Pronouns"
"How to: MedTwitter - Justice!"
"Interprofessional Education: APP Equality"
Guest lecture "I Identify as a Cardboard Box, do you?"

• Haha
Ahhh BCM...the same ultra-woke program that has a midlevel residency program.

Do.
Not.
Rank.

Jk med students are sheep and would rank an HCA program based out of a dumpster.

Reactions: 1 users
This guy sounds like an Ultra-woke *****. The problem with these types is that they think they are righteous, and can't tolerate any questioning of their bizarre theories. Any dissent is canceled immediatley.

This guy sounds like an Ultra-woke *****. The problem with these types is that they think they are righteous, and can't tolerate any questioning of their bizarre theories. Any dissent is canceled immediatley.
They just need to hire Esther Choo to talk about how exhausting some folks are and their mega-woke death star residency program will be complete.

I think it's great that some programs value diversity- there are some programs that seem not to match any minorities whatsoever (UW, UU) which also seems very suspect. But neither those programs nor this program seem particularly balanced.

I think it's great that some programs value diversity- there are some programs that seem not to match any minorities whatsoever (UW, UU) which also seems very suspect. But neither those programs nor this program seem particularly balanced.
It'll be great that their "diverse" group of residents won't be able to find jobs. Honestly if this is the crap Program Directors are worried about, I feel bad for their trainees.

It'll be great that their "diverse" group of residents won't be able to find jobs. Honestly if this is the crap Program Directors are worried about, I feel bad for their trainees.
Combatting systemic racism while simultaneously worsening systemic racism...makes sense.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
At least two groups.
But several other residencies are all one racial group; no one has called them out, which I find strange.
In any case, everyone will be in the same unemployed boat in a few years.

At least two groups.
But several other residencies are all one racial group; no one has called them out, which I find strange.
Unemployed or working at $100/hr in a FSED run by HCA.

At least two groups.
Someone above named UU as an example. Utah is 98% white. Is it really so strange that their residency class is almost all white? Houston, on the other hand, is 57% white yet there’s only one white face on this list. Hell, Saudi-Americans (of which those are only a few thousand) are better represented in this class than white people. And is it really a win for patient care that they have to see a St. George’s grad who’s black over a Baylor SOM grad who’s white?

Someone above named UU as an example. Utah is 98% white. Is it really so strange that their residency class is almost all white? Houston, on the other hand, is 57% white yet there’s only one white face on this list. Hell, Saudi-Americans (of which those are only a few thousand) are better represented in this class than white people. And is it really a win for patient care that they have to see a St. George’s grad who’s black over a Baylor SOM grad who’s white?

Yes because he's an anti-racist.

Texas attorneys will be "licking their chops."

Baylor is not a state medical school, and "failure to train" cases do not have the normal medical malpractice protections.

Texas attorneys will be "licking their chops."

Baylor is not a state medical school, and "failure to train" cases do not have the normal medical malpractice protections.
Texas is a very reasonable state when it comes to Med mal. The downside is that it’s hard to get any justice when an unqualified midlevel or an EM doc who has never intubated but has given several talks on why white people suck can’t get an airway in a crashing covid patient.

Utah is not 99% white, and has not been in decades.
Utah was actually about 86% non Hispanic white in 2010; as of 2020 estimates are about 80%.
Houston is not 57% non-Hispanic white.
Houston, as of 2010, was 21% non Hispanic white, 31% African-American, 7% Asian, and 43% Latino (of all races).

Texas, FWIW, is 41% Latino in total.

I looked at multiple sources; there does not seem to be much disagreement on these totals.

It seems like according to the comments, everyone is crying tears of joys and ecstatic beyond belief that something like this is a reality. Then I come here and the sentiment is quite the opposite haha

Reactions: 2 users
Utah is not 99% white, and has not been in decades.
Utah was actually about 86% non Hispanic white in 2010; as of 2020 estimates are about 80%.
Houston is not 57% non-Hispanic white.
Houston, as of 2010, was 21% non Hispanic white, 31% African-American, 7% Asian, and 43% Latino (of all races).

Texas, FWIW, is 41% Latino in total.

I looked at multiple sources; there does not seem to be much disagreement on these totals.
I really don’t know how this disproves my point. There just aren’t a lot of non-white people in Utah. On the other hand, there are many white people in Houston. So many, in fact, that you probably don’t need to reach for degree-mill Med schools to find enough bodies for your intern class.

Also, let’s me real, most of the black people on this list are Nigerian or Jamaican. I’m not sure how it fights inequality in America to give more employment opportunities to two of them most well-off immigrant groups in the US, at the cost of low income whites.

I really don’t know how this disproves my point. There just aren’t a lot of non-white people in Utah. On the other hand, there are many white people in Houston. So many, in fact, that you probably don’t need to reach for degree-mill Med schools to find enough bodies for your intern class.

Also, let’s me real, most of the black people on this list are Nigerian or Jamaican. I’m not sure how it fights inequality in America to give more employment opportunities to two of them most well-off immigrant groups in the US, at the cost of low income whites.

Wokeness isn't about logic or reason. It's entirely about virtue signaling and skin color.

Most of Woke America's arguments don't stand up to any scrutiny, which is why they immediately have to shut down all dissent.

I'm never for any racial quotas of any kind, but I do delight in pointing out the hypocrisy of these woke idiots.

A bit insufferable.

I admit, I’m a bit weary of often being the only Black guy around, but this level of virtue signaling and ‘’woke’’ culture overall is just cringe-worthy. You shouldn’t have to work so hard to prove you’re a decent person.

Reactions: 8 users
Wokeness isn't about logic or reason. It's entirely about virtue signaling and skin color.

Most of Woke America's arguments don't stand up to any scrutiny, which is why they immediately have to shut down all dissent.

I'm never for any racial quotas of any kind, but I do delight in pointing out the hypocrisy of these woke idiots.

Oh my god

that article

kicked out for asking a legit question

I don't know if I can survive in this world

The percentage of white people in Houston is not far from the percentage of white people in Utah. So, reasonably, Baylor should have more East Asian and white representation, and Utah should have more Latino representation. So both are demographically incorrect, and similarly so in terms of percentage.

Oh my god

that article

kicked out for asking a legit question

I don't know if I can survive in this world
I remember this guy., Someone posted the actual audio from the townhall on reddit way back when.

It was an optional meeting about microaggressions. He willingly went, started asking pointed questions, got really oppositional, then got an unprofessionalism notice. He got a punishment of like "please email an apology to the speaker". Instead of apologizing, he posted the admin's names, emails, and office locations on 4chan asking what he should do (and in the process, doxxing the admins of his school). They subsequently came down and suspended him from class, to which he is now suing.

Hell of a story. This guy dug himself into this hole. Unlike majority of people attacked by "wokeness", I don't feel bad for him because of how self-inflicted and unnecessary the whole saga was. There's no real take home point here, but I hope some posters who read this are entertained lol

Dude, that story is insane. Unless there's some other craziness going on...

Basically destroyed somebody's life over some pointed questioning at a panel discussion.

I remember this guy., Someone posted the actual audio from the townhall on reddit way back when.

It was an optional meeting about microaggressions. He willingly went, started asking pointed questions, got really oppositional, then got an unprofessionalism notice. He got a punishment of like "please email an apology to the speaker". Instead of apologizing, he posted the admin's names, emails, and office locations on 4chan asking what he should do (and in the process, doxxing the admins of his school). They subsequently came down and suspended him from class, to which he is now suing.

Hell of a story. This guy dug himself into this hole. Unlike majority of people attacked by "wokeness", I don't feel bad for him because of how self-inflicted and unnecessary the whole saga was. There's no real take home point here, but I hope some posters who read this are entertained lol
Ahh, okay that makes more sense. Still you'd think one of the deans could've just pulled him aside and told him to cool it rather than escalating things further. But maybe he was seriously crazy. You don't know his SDN or reddit username do you?

Ahh, okay that makes more sense. Still you'd think one of the deans could've just pulled him aside and told him to cool it rather than escalating things further. But maybe he was seriously crazy. You don't know his SDN or reddit username do you?
The threads are still there from 2 years ago. Search UVA student suspended on reddit and it will give you some entertaining posts if you want to dive in and see how much this guy shot himself in the foot

The threads are still there from 2 years ago. Search UVA student suspended on reddit and it will give you some entertaining posts if you want to dive in and see how much this guy shot himself in the foot
Okay, after a couple minutes digging down the reddit hole...that guy seems insane.

It seems like according to the comments, everyone is crying tears of joys and ecstatic beyond belief that something like this is a reality. Then I come here and the sentiment is quite the opposite haha
You can't really vocally oppose these sort of things without anonymity because any dissent or questioning of their mindset will immediately lead to an accusation of racism and letters to your employer.

No one cries when a program is all white, you just go about your life. It shouldn’t be any different here, stop crying. Some of what he post is cringeworthy, but why care if the program is majority minority.

• Haha
  • Okay...
Reactions: 4 users
I think the issue is that it’s almost a statistical impossibility to not match a single white person, unless it’s intentional.
Well, there is one person who appears phenotypically Caucasian, with a European family name, but, that person appears to be female, so, they still check a box.

This is the spiritual successor to "would you eat a poop hot dog to get into med school?"
Thank you for reminding me of that thread just before dinner...

it's like thinking about.. and then losing... The Game after forgetting about it for years.

I didn't realize the guy was crazy. Still my point stand that no one can challenge the woke group. Our local site leadership sent out e-mails: "Our CMG supports the struggle against systemic racism." Nevermind that 30-50% of our docs wouldn't agree with the politics and methods involved.

One of our top directors e-mailed the entire group to condemn the Jan 6 Capitol Hill riots. No consequences or pushback. I wish everyone would keep their mouths shut in the corporate world when it comes to politics. I really don't care which company or CEO feels woke. IDGAF what Coke or Delta thinks about election laws. Just STFU and make your crappy products.

Lesson for everyone- Just smile and nod so you don’t get canceled

make your voices heard by your vote and your money

and find a way to safe guard your money (diversify - land, properties, crypto, offshore accts, etc).

If you think your 401k’s/403b’s/529’s/Roths/etc arent going to be partially or wholly seized and redistributed to BIPOC to achieve equality of outcome you haven’t been paying attention
This is exactly correct. We all need a good, stable hedge against the theft of our property.

You can't really vocally oppose these sort of things without anonymity because any dissent or questioning of their mindset will immediately lead to an accusation of racism and letters to your employer.

That is true, earlier this week there was a discussion in a committee meeting saying that racism is a threat to public health and what we're doing about it...the only time I like Zoom meetings where I can just take a mini nap on my "broken" camera.

I didn't realize the guy was crazy. Still my point stand that no one can challenge the woke group. Our local site leadership sent out e-mails: "Our CMG supports the struggle against systemic racism." Nevermind that 30-50% of our docs wouldn't agree with the politics and methods involved.

One of our top directors e-mailed the entire group to condemn the Jan 6 Capitol Hill riots. No consequences or pushback. I wish everyone would keep their mouths shut in the corporate world when it comes to politics. I really don't care which company or CEO feels woke. IDGAF what Coke or Delta thinks about election laws. Just STFU and make your crappy products.
I mean arguably issues like racism or an invasion of government buildings shouldnt be seen as strictly political. We should all be able to agree that racism is bad or that rioting is bad.

None of us would have an issue with a CEO commemorating 9/11...so why the issue with the capitol hill riots?

Reactions: 6 users
Wow, someone didn't get "consequences" for condemning an attempted violent overthrow of the democratic process by a bunch of jackasses. Can't believe how woke we've gotten.

Texas is a very reasonable state when it comes to Med mal. The downside is that it’s hard to get any justice when an unqualified midlevel or an EM doc who has never intubated but has given several talks on why white people suck can’t get an airway in a crashing covid patient.
That was my point: By framing the suit differently, the plaintiff would get around all of those medical malpractice restrictions/protections.

Now, to be clear, I am not saying diversity is bad, or that the residents or faculty are any less qualified. However, suits are often not based on reason of logic.

However, if you get an "ambulance chaser" in rural Texas, show a rural jury a few of these tweets, and argue, "Sure Mrx. X didn't die from malpractice, but the program was negligent for not ensuring the graduate was fully competent in Y which would have saved her life."

I haven’t read this thread so not sure if it’s been derailed already but I would HIGHLY recommend being fluent in Spanish if you are considering this program.

I haven’t read this thread so not sure if it’s been derailed already but I would HIGHLY recommend being fluent in Spanish if you are considering this program.
It's only one page. If you didn't read it, how can you comment on it? Or, I'll tell you - your comment is off-topic and a derail.

It's only one page. If you didn't read it, how can you comment on it? Or, I'll tell you - your comment is off-topic and a derail.
I was providing my thoughts on what the minimal requirements should include!

does it really matter who they matched? sounds like they wont get jobs in 2024 except for rural wisconsin and the local urgent care for 50 bucks an hour anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.