What do you think of these "minimum requirements" to get into the Baylor EM Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is exactly correct. We all need a good, stable hedge against the theft of our property.

Got a Assata Shakur quote for you from the good folks at White Lies Matter:

“The rulers of this country have always considered their property more important than our lives.”

Members don't see this ad.

Got a Assata Shakur quote for you from the good folks at White Lies Matter:

“The rulers of this country have always considered their property more important than our lives.”

Thank you for considering me a ruler. I've worked hard to oppress! :-D

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I am not going to comment on the content of the tweets (plenty of discussion above), but I know the person tweeting, and he is a good guy and physician.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, let’s me real, most of the black people on this list are Nigerian or Jamaican. I’m not sure how it fights inequality in America to give more employment opportunities to two of them most well-off immigrant groups in the US, at the cost of low income whites.

This point always seems to come up in these discussions and it is such a bizarre mindset to me. I'm not sure why people think that pointing out that Nigerian immigrants are academically high-achieving or that rich minorities exist is some sort of gotcha. It comes across as "These minorities don't even have sob stories! What's the point?!"

The idea that well-off minorities are going places at the expense of low-income minorities implies that minorities should only be compared against one another for spots. Then there is the assertion that well-off minorities are taking spots from low-income whites, completely overlooking the possibility that a well-off person could get a position based on merit.

I'm not sure exactly what you want from well-off minorities. Somehow there is this idea they are simultaneously too good for the "minority spots" but also not good enough for the "real spots". Really?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am not really into the content of the tweets, but I know the person tweeting, and he is a good guy and physician.

that’s the problem with “wokeism” and critical race theory. It is a modern day cult. A virus that infects the minds of good people everywhere and makes them chase clout on the internet for fake points while causing real damage to the fabric of society.

these people really think they are modern day abolitionists or something. While most of us just want to live good, wholesome lives and take care of our families and communities the woke want to right every wrong that’s ever been done in human history. There can be no differences between people. And if there is it is only due to racism and must be fixed proactively.

these guys read “Harrison Bergeron” and took it to be a goddamn how-to guide!

Like thatcher said, “so long as the gap is smaller, they’d rather the poor be poorer”

This point always seems to come up in these discussions and it is such a bizarre mindset to me. I'm not sure why people think that pointing out that Nigerian immigrants are academically high-achieving or that rich minorities exist is some sort of gotcha. It comes across as "These minorities don't even have sob stories! What's the point?!"

The idea that well-off minorities are going places at the expense of low-income minorities implies that minorities should only be compared against one another for spots. Then there is the assertion that well-off minorities are taking spots from low-income whites, completely overlooking the possibility that a well-off person could get a position based on merit.

I'm not sure exactly what you want from well-off minorities. Somehow there is this idea they are simultaneously too good for the "minority spots" but also not good enough for the "real spots". Really?

when you brag about your class being “diverse” due to its high number of Blacks by showing their names and faces on your Twitter page when in fact most of the diversity is not from original American blacks it’s a problem.

using black kids of immigrants to fill your black quota to claim diversity is superficial and cunning. It’s not helping the people who were actually victims of the oppressions the woke love to bring up *in this country*.

moreover, children of Nigerian and other sub-Saharan African immigrants have much more in common with children of Asian and middle eastern immigrants than they do with African Americans (the group you’re trying to actually help). Of course we all know that true diversity comes from people who look different 🙄

It’s like that “Hey Arnold!” Episode where the 4th graders have a football game against the 5th graders and they recruit a 4th grader who has been held back a few years and is bigger and stronger than them. Yeah he’s technically a 4th grader but his lived experience is much different and using him on the 4th grade team is a cop out.

I don’t “want” anything from well-off minorities. As an immigrant myself (who is considered Caucasian despite not being white or European), I’m glad my fellow immigrants from Nigeria have figured out a way to game the system. The issue is that the public justification for AA is to right historical wrongs and to help minority patients feel represented. Well, rewarding an unrelated group of people does not achieve the first goal, and I see no reason to think that inner-city black patients will inherently get along better with a thick-accented Zambian doctor over a white doctor from the same city as them.

I’ve heard immigrant doctors from Africa say things about black patients that would get a white doctor fired in minutes.

using black kids of immigrants to fill your black quota to claim diversity is superficial and cunning. It’s not helping the people who were actually victims of the oppressions the woke love to bring up *in this country*.

Why are they only being admitted to fill a black quota? Have you considered that they perhaps are good candidates for the position?

It’s like that “Hey Arnold!” Episode where the 4th graders have a football game against the 5th graders and they recruit a 4th grader who has been held back a few years and is bigger and stronger than them. Yeah he’s technically a 4th grader but his lived experience is much different and using him on the 4th grade team is a cop out.

I haven't seen this episode, but based on your description I don't see how this is a good analogy. Filling out a residency class (or a university class, etc.) isn't like choosing two teams to play against each other. You're not picking a "black" team to play against a "white" team. You're choosing just one unified team. But let's take your analogy at face value--where does the big 4th grader fit in? If he can't play on the 4th grade team, can he play with the 5th graders? Is he allowed to play football at all?

I don’t “want” anything from well-off minorities. As an immigrant myself (who is considered Caucasian despite not being white or European), I’m glad my fellow immigrants from Nigeria have figured out a way to game the system.

Saying that they figured out a way to game the system implies that they don't deserve their spots or used underhanded techniques to get in. Maybe they just are good candidates? I mean, it is well-known that Nigerian immigrants are high-achieving--maybe they "high-achieved" their way into the position.

The issue is that the public justification for AA is to right historical wrongs and to help minority patients feel represented. Well, rewarding an unrelated group of people does not achieve the first goal, and I see no reason to think that inner-city black patients will inherently get along better with a thick-accented Zambian doctor over a white doctor from the same city as them.

These are certainly two possible justifications for affirmative action. I think the former is not necessarily what most proponents would use as a justification; regarding the latter, I can't comment from first-hand experience (as I am neither black nor a black immigrant), but based on many interactions I have seen in medicine, I think you would be surprised. You are also missing at least one important rationale for Affirmative Action, which is that having a diverse workforce or group can improve the educational/work experience in that same group--i.e., it is beneficial for a white student to learn alongside a black student and vice-versa. Granted, you need to aim for true diversity in this scenario (not just have a class full of one minority group).

There are many ways to view affirmative action. But I think that's actually missing the point entirely in this specific discussion as it pertains to Nigerian immigrants. Getting into the weeds of rationales for Affirmative Action and then thinking about whether Nigerian Immigrants "truly satisfy" any of them is completely ignoring any other qualities/talents that they might have. It is assuming that they are being admitted only for Affirmative Action's sake, which is really a huge and bizarre assumption, especially as Nigerian immigrants are known to be a very high academically achieving group. It is entirely possible that they would have been admitted if Affirmative Action didn't exist in the first place.

Why are they only being admitted to fill a black quota? Have you considered that they perhaps are good candidates for the position?

I haven't seen this episode, but based on your description I don't see how this is a good analogy. Filling out a residency class (or a university class, etc.) isn't like choosing two teams to play against each other. You're not picking a "black" team to play against a "white" team. You're choosing just one unified team. But let's take your analogy at face value--where does the big 4th grader fit in? If he can't play on the 4th grade team, can he play with the 5th graders? Is he allowed to play football at all?

they may very well be good candidates for the position. Unfortunately, affirmative action hurts them as others assume they got in only because they were black and wouldn’t have gotten in if they were white or Asian. Unless we have race-blind admissions/selection there won’t be any clarity on this issue.

I mean you can’t have something like this:

1618059156697.jpeg

And then expect the black students to be treated with the same level of respect as the white and Asian students. Just like you can’t put on stilts and then expect that others admire you for being tall.

the Hey Arnold analogy is a limited one and stops when the teams play each other. Obviously blacks and whites aren’t playing against each other. It’s meant to highlight the absurdity of using certain characteristics to divide people (eg race or grade level) and ignore others that are more prescient (eg age or socioeconomic factors).

The older 4th grader should play with kids his own age just like how many youth sports are organized (under 17’s, under 14’s, etc)

the problem for the Woke crowd is they can’t display true diversity and hardship in an online photo to get likes and retweets like they can just posting a picture of majority black faces

they may very well be good candidates for the position. Unfortunately, affirmative action hurts them as others assume they got in only because they were black and wouldn’t have gotten in if they were white or Asian. Unless we have race-blind admissions/selection there won’t be any clarity on this issue.

And then expect the black students to be treated with the same level of respect as the white and Asian students. Just like you can’t put on stilts and then expect that others admire you for being tall.

This point also comes up frequently in these discussions and it is equally bizarre to me.

Sure, I could choose to go around thinking that every black person is unqualified until proven otherwise, but that's not a mandatory view that I have to take. It would be similar to me thinking that every white person is racist, that every rich person got into college because of a bribe, or that every non-minority person achieved success at the expense of their minority peers being marginalized at the pre-K to 12 level (and beyond).

I choose to not go around with these views and assume the worst out of everyone frankly because that's the decent thing to do.

This point also comes up frequently in these discussions and it is equally bizarre to me.

Sure, I could choose to go around thinking that every black person is unqualified until proven otherwise, but that's not a mandatory view that I have to take. It would be similar to me thinking that every white person is racist, that every rich person got into college because of a bribe, or that every non-minority person achieved success at the expense of their minority peers being marginalized at the pre-K to 12 level (and beyond).

I choose to not go around with these views and assume the worst out of everyone frankly because that's the decent thing to do.

I agree, it’s almost as if individuals are unique and should be judged based on their own merits and hardships and not be lumped into arbitrary groups from which to select and then have their melanated faces paraded on Twitter as some sort of victory

Members don't see this ad :)
when you brag about your class being “diverse” due to its high number of Blacks by showing their names and faces on your Twitter page when in fact most of the diversity is not from original American blacks it’s a problem.

moreover, children of Nigerian and other sub-Saharan African immigrants have much more in common with children of Asian and middle eastern immigrants than they do with African Americans (the group you’re trying to actually help). Of course we all know that true diversity comes from people who look different 🙄

What hell are you talking about

Most black immigrants live in black neighborhoods. I am one. I have absolutely nothing in common with south asian or middle eastern immigrants where on earth are you getting this idea from. Nor has my immigrant status shielded me from the same discrimination that African Americans face. I still got stop and frisked. I still get followed in stores. I still have people assume I'm a janitor or nurse even though I'm better educated than 90% of the people in this country.

Your assumptions dont make any sense and dont seem to be rooted in any real experience with Black people.

Last edited:

View attachment 334505

the Hey Arnold analogy is a limited one and stops when the teams play each other. Obviously blacks and whites aren’t playing against each other. It’s meant to highlight the absurdity of using certain characteristics to divide people (eg race or grade level) and ignore others that are more prescient (eg age or socioeconomic factors).

The older 4th grader should play with kids his own age just like how many youth sports are organized (under 17’s, under 14’s, etc)

the problem for the Woke crowd is they can’t display true diversity and hardship in an online photo to get likes and retweets like they can just posting a picture of majority black faces

The thing that graph doesnt show is that in sheer numbers, White students with sub-30 MCAT scores outnumbered all Black and Hispanic matriculants combined

What hell are you talking about

Most black immigrants live in black neighborhoods. I am one. I have absolutely nothing in common with south asian or middle eastern immigrants where on earth are you getting this idea from.

immigrant parents (more likely to be a 2 parent household), immigrant values, focus on education. Immigrants to America from Africa, Asia, Middle East are not representative of their countrymen or of their ethnic groups that have assimilated here for generations and become “americanized”.

The two largest sub Saharan African immigrant countries actually make more than white americans

Some highlights:

Asian American median HHI: $85,897

Ghanaian Americans: $69,021
Nigerian Americans: $68,658
White Americans: $65,902
Jamaican Americans: $62,044

African Americans: $43,862
Mexican Americans: $38,000

The thing that graph doesnt show is that in sheer numbers, White students with sub-30 MCAT scores outnumbered all Black and Hispanic matriculants combined
Apples to oranges - there are many more whites than blacks and Hispanics in this country so there should be more whites admitted across the board. All that matters is the actual rate per capita

Just like there are many more whites than Samoans in the NFL but your chances of making it to the NFL are much higher if you are Samoan

that every non-minority person achieved success at the expense of their minority peers being marginalized at the pre-K to 12 level (and beyond).

Is this not the message behind “this is justice”?

• Haha
Look, y'all.

I see what you’re saying. I get what you’re saying. And I agree with a lot of it. But take a step back for a minute.

You’re in a position to be in the top 2% of money earners in the US (much higher, on a worldwide basis), if you’re not already. If you play cards right, save and invest 10-20% of your income, (through the near miracle of compounded interest) you have the chance to grow wealth beyond what you thought possible, and live very, very well.

Raging about some woke residency will not grow those returns grow any faster. It only takes your eye off the prize. Don’t be distracted by the outrage-flavor of the week. Let them have their woke residency. Focus on you, your family, growing your wealth and winning your game.

Reactions: 5 users
Look, y'all.

I see what you’re saying. I get what you’re saying. And I agree with a lot of it. But take a step back for a minute.

You’re in a position to be in the top 2% of money earners in the US (much higher, on a worldwide basis), if you’re not already. If you play cards right, save and invest 10-20% of your income, (through the near miracle of compounded interest) you have the chance to grow wealth beyond what you thought possible, and live very, very well.

Raging about some woke residency will not grow those returns grow any faster. It only takes your eye off the prize. Don’t be distracted by the outrage-flavor of the week. Let them have their woke residency. Focus on you, your family, growing your wealth and winning your game.

First the woke came after the undergraduate schools and I did not speak out because I was no longer an undergrad

then the woke came after the medical schools and I did not speak out because I was no longer a medical student

then the woke came after the residencies and I did not speak out because I was no longer a resident

then the woke came after the fellowships and I did not speak out because I was no longer a fellow

Then the woke came after me and there was no one left to speak out for me

adapted from First they came ... - Wikipedia...

If you don’t think non-BIPOC are going to be at a serious disadvantage getting and keeping jobs in specialties that are already getting squeezed tight you have another thing coming.

save much more than 10-20% though.....achieve financial independence and retire early and go somewhere the woke can’t hurt you (eg Asia)

• Okay...
First the woke came after the undergraduate schools and I did not speak out because I was no longer an undergrad

then the woke came after the medical schools and I did not speak out because I was no longer a medical student

then the woke came after the residencies and I did not speak out because I was no longer a resident

then the woke came after the fellowships and I did not speak out because I was no longer a fellow

If you don’t think non-BIPOC are going to be at a serious disadvantage getting and keeping jobs in specialties that are already getting squeezed tight you have another thing coming.

save much more than 10-20% though.....achieve financial independence and retire early and go somewhere the woke can’t hurt you (eg Asia)
Yeah, difficulties in the job market are definitely comparable to the pogroms committed by the Nazis. :rolleyes:

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
immigrant parents (more likely to be a 2 parent household), immigrant values, focus on education. Immigrants to America from Africa, Asia, Middle East are not representative of their countrymen or of their ethnic groups that have assimilated here for generations and become “americanized”.
So for me to have anything in common with African Americans I need to have been raised by a high school dropout single mother? Word?

Apples to oranges - there are many more whites than blacks and Hispanics in this country so there should be more whites admitted across the board. All that matters is the actual rate per capita

Just like there are many more whites than Samoans in the NFL but your chances of making it to the NFL are much higher if you are Samoan

Doesnt explain why there are more whites with marginal MCAT scores than all of the blacks and hispanics combined.

White people outnumber black+hispanic people in the general population 2:1. That margin is far smaller when you look at people <30 (who make up the majority of medical school matriculants). Yet in medical school whites outnumber blacks and hispanics 3:1 - to the extent that even academically "mediocre" whites outnumber us. Which begs the question of whether this is even as big of a threat to your view of "equality" in the first place. Our combined collective presence isnt even diminishing the odds of a mediocre white applicant from matriculating - so what are you complaining about?

What an incredible persecution complex. Reading this you would think there are no white people in college, med school, residency, or fellowship.

Yeah, difficulties in the job market are definitely comparable to the pogroms committed by the Nazis. :rolleyes:

That's especially funny, because that's the woke mob's favorite argument: fall in line with their hivemind attitude, or you're a nazi by default.

It's precisely the same mechanism that the nazi party used. You're either one of us, or you're... ahem... "banned".

Last edited:
So for me to have anything in common with African Americans I need to have been raised by a high school dropout single mother? Word?

Doesnt explain why there are more whites with marginal MCAT scores than all of the blacks and hispanics combined.

White people outnumber black+hispanic people in the general population 2:1. That margin is far smaller when you look at people <30 (who make up the majority of medical school matriculants). Yet in medical school whites outnumber blacks and hispanics 3:1 - to the extent that even academically "mediocre" whites outnumber us. Which begs the question of whether this is even as big of a threat to your view of "equality" in the first place. Our combined collective presence isnt even diminishing the odds of a mediocre white applicant from matriculating - so what are you complaining about?
Strong reading comprehension skills. Blacks of American slave descent have a unique history and undergo greater hardships in this country that is different from blacks that immigrated from abroad. The average household incomes shows it.

we all know blacks and Hispanics are underrepresented in medicine. That’s why there’s affirmative action and why the graph I linked earlier exists. And even despite lowering the bar significantly there’s still underrepresentation. Which means the only way to achieve equal representation is the lower the bar even further.

Also I don’t care about mediocre white or Asian applicants. It’s the African Americans of slave descent who are having their spots taken by privileged black immigrants who’s families earn closer to the white or Asian average that’s really messed up. And then those same immigrants kids get showcased around as if it’s the same thing.

That’s another problem with the woke left. They’ve made victim claiming a badge of honor.

Everyone’s trying to get ahead by jumping on the African American bandwagon and claiming they’re a victim. Even the PD in the OP’s Twitter handle he says he’s Afro-Colombian. Not just Colombian but Afro-Colombian. Never mind that pretty much every Colombian has some Amerindian, European, and subSaharan African ancestors.

I looked this guy up and he needs to seriously check his light skinned privilege. If he took a 23andMe test he’d be like 20% sub Saharan African tops. What a joke

That's especially funny, because that's the woke mob's favorite argument: fall in line with their hivemind attitude, or you're a nazi by default.
What? I can't tell if you misread my comment or if your response is a separate tangent.

I never compared @brycew85 to a Nazi. In point of fact, I was commenting on how absurd it was that he chose a poem about the Nazis and modified it to describe this obviously incomparable scenario.

It’s the African Americans of slave descent who are having their spots taken by privileged black immigrants who’s families earn closer to the white or Asian average that’s really messed up.
Again, I don't understand why it's somehow impossible for you to consider that privileged black immigrants could succeed on merit alone. No, they must be succeeding at the expense of poor African Americans... Based on your bizarre racial quotas, should Black immigrants be allowed to succeed in life?

It's precisely the same mechanism that the nazi party used. You're either one of us, or you're... ahem... "banned".

Fox, remind me who made the first ham-fisted Nazi comparison in this thread? (spoiler: they were not arguing the "left" point of view).

My favorite example of some people's persecution complex is thinking they are being silenced while simultaneously having these complaints go viral on twitter, facebook, youtube, newspaper op-eds, syndicated radio, cable shows. It's like they don't know the meaning of irony.

Again, I don't understand why it's somehow impossible for you to consider that privileged black immigrants could succeed on merit alone. No, they must be succeeding at the expense of poor African Americans... Based on your bizarre racial quotas, should Black immigrants be allowed to succeed in life?

African Americans should have their own checkbox to tick that signifies they are descendants of American slavery. Similar to how native Americans have their own box and tribal cards. These two groups have a distinct history in this country and should not be co-opted by immigrant blacks or immigrant Hispanics

African Americans should have their own checkbox to tick that signifies they are descendants of American slavery. Similar to how native Americans have their own box and tribal cards. These two groups have a distinct history in this country and should not be co-opted by immigrant blacks or immigrant Hispanics

And once that happens you will finally be ok with high-achieving African immigrants being successful? Until then, high-achieving African immigrants are simultaneously too high-achieving and too unqualified? Help me understand your point, because your series of posts makes it sound like you have a significant problem with African immigrants just daring to succeed in life.

My favorite example of some people's persecution complex is thinking they are being silenced while simultaneously having these complaints go viral on twitter, facebook, youtube, newspaper op-eds, syndicated radio, cable shows. It's like they don't know the meaning of irony.

Your favorite example is.....a parody?

try changing your email signature to “All Lives Matter” and seeing what happens.
Imagine telling that to someone just 5 years ago 🤯

Your favorite example is.....a parody?

try changing your email signature to “All Lives Matter” and seeing what happens.
Imagine telling that to someone just 5 years ago 🤯
The parody is parodying real life. You know, like parodies usually do... Or do you want me to point you to all the successful conservative voices, which according to you don't exist?

And once that happens you will finally be ok with high-achieving African immigrants being successful? Until then, high-achieving African immigrants are simultaneously too high-achieving and too unqualified? Help me understand your point, because your series of posts makes it sound like you have a significant problem with African immigrants just daring to succeed in life.

they’re taking advantage of a loophole in the system. And most of the woke crowd is complicit because if they had to report actual African American representation they’d have even less representation. Not sure how this is a difficult point to understand

thats enough posting for me today. Remember kids - never talk about this stuff in real life. Just smile and nod.

Smile. And. Nod.

Status
Not open for further replies.