What does everyone think about the 190 mil payout at Hopkins?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've accumulated enough free pens throughout college and med school (since med students have a 6th sense for free stuff) so I just keep a stash in my bag. I've only lost 2 pens so far :p

And I keep wondering why I'm loosing my pens all the time...

Members don't see this ad.

I've accumulated enough free pens throughout college and med school (since med students have a 6th sense for free stuff) so I just keep a stash in my bag. I've only lost 2 pens so far :p
I like ordering them and then stealing a few samples because then I basically get to custom-make my free pens (and ensure that they write well!)

By your logic then only the doctor can be named in a malpractice lawsuit. He is an employee of Johns Hopkins. I agree with the settlement.

The American Hospital Association would LOVE you by the way.
Where I am coming from has already been mentioned by others above, but there is a difference between a doctor with a record of malpractice continuing to be employed by a hospital, and a physician using his or her position for criminal misconduct without any evidence the hospital was aware of it. As I stated, if there is any evidence that the hospital knew of this physician performing improper actions, and did nothing about it, they absolutely share liability. This isn't a surgeon with a bad habit of leaving clamps inside a patient when they close, or an ER physician who keeps having patients bounce back because of lazy work-ups; this is a physician who committed numerous crimes, and when the hospital found out, they took every appropriate action.

Your comment about only a doctor should be named in a malpractice suit is accurate up to a point; I believe only someone who actually did something wrong should be liable for a bad outcome, whether we are talking about within medicine or elsewhere. If a doctor, and no one else, committed malpractice, they should be the only ones subject to a suit. If the hospital/employer had evidence of misconduct/malpractice on the part of the doctor and did nothing about it, they absolutely should be subject to a suit. Most lawsuits, of course, involve a bad outcome due to random chance, poor compliance by a patient, or most commonly, an easily foreseen possible negative outcome that some family, patient, or lawyer decides the "evil doctor" or "evil hospital" should have to pay for. After all, they are all rich anyway, right? Doesn't matter if anyone actually did anything wrong, as long as lawyers get their cut....

Needless to say, I believe malpractice reform is long overdue, both in medicine and outside of medicine...

Members don't see this ad :)
Where I am coming from has already been mentioned by others above, but there is a difference between a doctor with a record of malpractice continuing to be employed by a hospital, and a physician using his or her position for criminal misconduct without any evidence the hospital was aware of it. As I stated, if there is any evidence that the hospital knew of this physician performing improper actions, and did nothing about it, they absolutely share liability. This isn't a surgeon with a bad habit of leaving clamps inside a patient when they close, or an ER physician who keeps having patients bounce back because of lazy work-ups; this is a physician who committed numerous crimes, and when the hospital found out, they took every appropriate action.

Your comment about only a doctor should be named in a malpractice suit is accurate up to a point; I believe only someone who actually did something wrong should be liable for a bad outcome, whether we are talking about within medicine or elsewhere. If a doctor, and no one else, committed malpractice, they should be the only ones subject to a suit. If the hospital/employer had evidence of misconduct/malpractice on the part of the doctor and did nothing about it, they absolutely should be subject to a suit. Most lawsuits, of course, involve a bad outcome due to random chance, poor compliance by a patient, or most commonly, an easily foreseen possible negative outcome that some family, patient, or lawyer decides the "evil doctor" or "evil hospital" should have to pay for. After all, they are all rich anyway, right? Doesn't matter if anyone actually did anything wrong, as long as lawyers get their cut....

Needless to say, I believe malpractice reform is long overdue, both in medicine and outside of medicine...

This is likely governed by the employment contract between the hospital system and the physician. Malpractice is offered as a benefit and the coverage is likely provided through a general, hospital-wide plan. The hospital decided to offer that sort of benefit to its employees. Unfortunately for the hospital, things sometimes go awry, and if they do they're liable.

I think the more interesting story is that the Hopkins hospital system has the ability to dish out $190 million to begin with.

This is likely governed by the employment contract between the hospital system and the physician. Malpractice is offered as a benefit and the coverage is likely provided through a general, hospital-wide plan. The hospital decided to offer that sort of benefit to its employees. Unfortunately for the hospital, things sometimes go awry, and if they do they're liable.

I think the more interesting story is that the Hopkins hospital system has the ability to dish out $190 million to begin with.
Usually hospital-provided liability has a limit, just as regular liability insurance does. For the lawyer to get 190m out of JH they must certainly have sued JH as a responsible entity, not an incidental malpractice provider.

You can't tell the difference between a malpractice case and first degree murder?
It is a good analogical argument. There is a difference between making a mistake (malpractice) and committing a crime. Whether the crime is murder, videotaping patients sans consent, or taking $5 out of their wallets while they are sleeping, there is no good reason that the hospital(or any employing body for that matter) should be held liable for the actions of employees unless you can prove(prove, not say is likely via statistics) that there was a cover up.

I would support the hospital being made to pay for a lawyer to defend the physician for claims made regarding his actions at the hospital since people will make stuff up to sue people, but as to the liability if the suit is successful and there was no proven cover up, no. That is way too much protection for people just because of their job title. Removing all protection is too far in one direction, being able to sue a hospital in this situation is too far in the other.

Usually hospital-provided liability has a limit, just as regular liability insurance does. For the lawyer to get 190m out of JH they must certainly have sued JH as a responsible entity, not an incidental malpractice provider.
Even considering that the lawyer was representing multiple parties?

Even considering that the lawyer was representing multiple parties?
Usually there are are yearly limits in addition to per claim. Most of the time it's 1.5m-3m instance/5m-10m/year. I suppose they could have been on the hook for between 40-80m due to his recording for 8 years.