What does it take to be a good pathologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

junlujlu

I was wondering what it takes to be a good pathologist. Do you need a good memory. Do you have to be very smart. Do people ever get tired of looking at so many slides. Do people ever get bored.

Members don't see this ad.

I am just a med student, so I don't really know what I'm talking about, but this is my understanding:
memory - I am sure a good memory helps. You probably need a good visual memory because there is so much pattern recognition in looking at slides.

smart - again, I am sure being smart helps. I don't think you need to be the next Einstein to be a great pathologist.

tired of looking at slides or bored - probably yes. I think in any field there is going to be some element of boredom because there is so much repetition inherent in learning so much material. But personally, I would get bored much quicker seeing patients than I would looking at slides. Other people are different. It all depends on your personal preference.

Sometimes I wake up at night wondering if I have it in me to be a pathologist, much less a good pathologist ;)

Was looking at the RISE exam breakdown... scary!

Members don't see this ad :)
junlujlu said:
I was wondering what it takes to be a good pathologist. Do you need a good memory. Do you have to be very smart. Do people ever get tired of looking at so many slides. Do people ever get bored.

Like anything, to be good at it you have to like doing it above all. Smarts helps, but beyond a certain point they won't get you far if you don't use those smarts appropriately. Path requires patience but it also requires thinking on your feet at times (depending on the specialty). You have to be willing to think about things in different ways - not just coming up with differentials and remembering factoids but being able to apply them appropriately in the right situations.

People always get tired of looking at slides, and many probably get bored. I dunno. Some people get bored whenever there is not a naked person in front of them. Doesn't mean they won't be a good pathologist.

During residency it also requires you to be able to work well with others. Once you become an attending perhaps this is less important, although it is still something that will help a lot.

Don't sweat the In Service... I say, bring it on in the first week... we can probably learn a lot from it. I just hope I don't miss any good sports on TV the Saturday they decide we need to take it. :laugh: :laugh:

Freestyle said:
Don't sweat the In Service... I say, bring it on in the first week... we can probably learn a lot from it. I just hope I don't miss any good sports on TV the Saturday they decide we need to take it. :laugh: :laugh:
Yeah...having to take this exam on a Saturday during college football season would be teh SUX!!!111

The RISE exam is beyond ******ed and the statisical info is near worthless as there are many a program that let you log in from home and take it without a proctor!! Umm, yeah real validity there Im sure. And the ?s especially for CP are nonsense with no practical application whatsoever.

I still cant get over some dude in Ohio asking for my RISE scores when I applied his group. I was at loss for what to say so I just laughed, laughed and hung up. I think I only really took it 1-2 during my entire training.

Its worthless I say, worthless.

LADoc00 said:
The RISE exam is beyond ******ed and the statisical info is near worthless as there are many a program that let you log in from home and take it without a proctor!! Umm, yeah real validity there Im sure. And the ?s especially for CP are nonsense with no practical application whatsoever.

I still cant get over some dude in Ohio asking for my RISE scores when I applied his group. I was at loss for what to say so I just laughed, laughed and hung up. I think I only really took it 1-2 during my entire training.

YOU applied to a job in Ohio? I can't imagine you in Ohio.

LADoc00 said:
We just finished RISE yesterday, taking it two half-days. AP part was sort-of tolerable, but LADoc00 is spot on re:CP. I really don't understand the purpose of asking those questions. Unbelievable.

jeff2005 said:
YOU applied to a job in Ohio? I can't imagine you in Ohio.

That was my only step into the midwest job market, after talking to a few people I realized they all had serious INFERIORITY complexes if they were a local trained doc. I was often greeted by such phrases as "Why would ever want to come here?" or "I dont know if we can offer the cases that would challenge you" type stuff vs. coastal California where I heard: "We are the dream team of Pathology, what, in 200 words or less, could you possibly offer us?"

junlujlu said:

It's a requirement to be a lazy piece of ****!

LADoc00 said:
That was my only step into the midwest job market, after talking to a few people I realized they all had serious INFERIORITY complexes if they were a local trained doc. I was often greeted by such phrases as "Why would ever want to come here?" or "I dont know if we can offer the cases that would challenge you" type stuff vs. coastal California where I heard: "We are the dream team of Pathology, what, in 200 words or less, could you possibly offer us?"
:laugh: That's good to know.

What does it take to be a good pathologist???

A willingness to accept half the salary of the radiology staff, work 30% longer and quaff a tall glass of STFU.

LADoc00 said:

A willingness to accept half the salary of the radiology staff, work 30% longer and quaff a tall glass of STFU.

Well said. Good post.

LADoc00 said:

LADoc - you're still young, right? I think you said early 30s once (sorry if I'm wrong). Why don't you go back and do a radiology residency? I know that would be a big income cut for you right now, but if they make twice as much as you do now you will more than make up for it in the rest of your work life.

LADoc00 said:

What kind of decerebrate ****** would ask for freaking RISE scores? I have never heard of such a thing.
I am at least glad that you didn't actually fly out to meet with this guy. I would of hung up (loudly) too.
Why not just ask for your APGAR scores while you're at it.