What does it take to become chairman of a program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcxyz0123

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious: what does it take to become chairman of a psychiatry program (particularly programs that aren't in the top 20)? I know for top 10 psych programs, you have to be a big time researcher, etc. But for other places (such as GWU and Georgetown), it seems like their chairmen weren't anything special as far as research accomplishments goes. Is it all about how business minded you are, how hard you work at your career, and how much the other faculty like you? Or is it usually always about who publishes the most?

Members don't see this ad.

I have noticed some chairs being selected based on their ability to recruit and run a department as well as because of their ties to community leading to fundraising abilities. That said, chairs being "nothing special" is unheard of. They may not produce in literature but they are usually very accomplished in other arenas.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just curious: what does it take to become chairman of a psychiatry program (particularly programs that aren't in the top 20)? I know for top 10 psych programs, you have to be a big time researcher, etc. But for other places (such as GWU and Georgetown), it seems like their chairmen weren't anything special as far as research accomplishments goes. Is it all about how business minded you are, how hard you work at your career, and how much the other faculty like you? Or is it usually always about who publishes the most?

This is something I have also been interested in and the impression I got is that most all places now go for big time researchers as chairmen and the days of the distinguished psychoanalyst getting it are coming to a close. I noticed and asked about this trend on my interview trail and all new chairmen within the last several years were completely research focused where I looked although I am sure there are exceptions.

This is something I have also been interested in and the impression I got is that most all places now go for big time researchers as chairmen and the days of the distinguished psychoanalyst getting it are coming to a close. I noticed and asked about this trend on my interview trail and all new chairmen within the last several years were completely research focused where I looked although I am sure there are exceptions.

I wonder how that's working for problems. It seems to be like the most important skills for a chair are to be politically and interpersonally effective, especially now when psychiatry programs are facing such big funding issues. Not to say research isn't important, but someone can be a great researcher and not be appropriately aggressive and savvy enough to defend his/her department.

I wonder how that's working for problems. It seems to be like the most important skills for a chair are to be politically and interpersonally effective, especially now when psychiatry programs are facing such big funding issues. Not to say research isn't important, but someone can be a great researcher and not be appropriately aggressive and savvy enough to defend his/her department.

It's a good question. I can say that I heard of a specific new chair who was able to throw his weight around at a program because he was bringing in tons of research dollars (more so than all but medicine) which made the psychiatry department quite financially stable all things considered.

I would say most people who make it that far navigating the bloody waters are going to be fairly aggressive and maybe even narcissistic and would thus be very defensive of the department.

It's a good question. I can say that I heard of a specific new chair who was able to throw his weight around at a program because he was bringing in tons of research dollars (more so than all but medicine) which made the psychiatry department quite financially stable all things considered.

I would say most people who make it that far navigating the bloody waters are going to be fairly aggressive and maybe even narcissistic and would thus be very defensive of the department.

One also rarely gets that far (i.e., "bringing in tons of research dollars") without also being a fairly savvy politician, playing well with others, mastering the arts of reciprocal back-scratching, etc.

I don't know if this is a requirement but it should be.

Goatee and horn rimmed glasses.

I am debating the pipe because it would have to be either for show or blow bubbles only because you couldn't have a smokin chairman. (get your minds out of the gutter)

Conundrum is the goatee and chairwoman.

One also rarely gets that far (i.e., "bringing in tons of research dollars") without also being a fairly savvy politician, playing well with others, mastering the arts of reciprocal back-scratching, etc.

OK, true. And actually bringing in money to broke departments can't hurt.