What else do I need to be competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bisbenz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a recent graduate from a college located in NYC and majored in Biochemistry and graduated with honors. Although I am a Florida resident I currently live in NYC and have lived in
Costa Rica for 7 years. I am also Hispanic.

I know I will have strong LOR's by the time I intend to apply.

I haven't taken the MCAT yet but will take it at the end of the summer (hoping for 32+).

I wanted to know what I should do to improve my chances for medical school during this gap year before the next cycle opens up in june 2015.

Here is some info:

Cumulative GPA is 3.68
Science GPA is 3.67

Awards:
Highest GPA out of all Biochemistry majors
Research Award ( Best
research out of all chemistry and biochemistry majors)
Magna Cum Laude

Extracurriculars:
- Research Assistant for 3 years at my university's lab
(Manuscript submitted, waiting for acceptance)
- Research Assistant at Mt. Sinai School of Medicine for 1 year part-time
(still currently doing research, most likely 2 publications)

- Presented at multiple conferences (regional and national), multiple awards for 1st place
-Received 2 internal grants at my college to fund my project

- Shadowed:
Pediatric Emergency Medicine (99 hours)
Occupational Pulmonologist (80 hours)
ENT and Head/Neck Surgery (30 hours)
Gastroenterologist (8 hours)
Speech Therapist (8 hours)
Internist and Allergist (8 hours)
CSTEP Summer Program, SUNY College of Optometry - Optometrist (4 hours)

- President of an ACS-affiliated Chemistry Club for 1 year
- Vice-President of Beta Beta Beta Biological Honors Society for 1 year
- Co-founder and Vice-President of The Pre-medical Society for 1 year

- Tutored general biology for 1 year
- Tutored general chemistry for 1 semester
- English Conversation Partner for 2 years
-NY Cares community service volunteer for 1 year (100 hours)

I have also done minor things at my college such as:
- Honors College Mentor for 1 semester

- Mentored entering Freshman for 1 semester
- Served as a Resident advisor for 2 weeks during the summer for the Summer Scholars Institute for High-school students

I plan to volunteer at Mt. Sinai Hospital to gain more
clinical experience which I know I need, continue volunteering for NY Cares and continue doing research part-time to secure those 2 publications. Should I also try to pursue a job as a research technician, medical scribe, or even an EMT-B?

Members don't see this ad.

Gap year is a good time to work on the app itself. Most people don't realize how incredibly time consuming it is. A good application can really put you over the top and it sounds like you have the grades & experiences already so that's what I'd do. Draft your PS and sent it out to people, login to AMCAS and get the feel for the site. Work on getting your activities and work experiences written out (you only get so many characters for them too!). And in between all that see about getting published on some research studies! Good luck!

Gap year is a good time to work on the app itself. Most people don't realize how incredibly time consuming it is. A good application can really put you over the top and it sounds like you have the grades & experiences already so that's what I'd do. Draft your PS and sent it out to people, login to AMCAS and get the feel for the site. Work on getting your activities and work experiences written out (you only get so many characters for them too!). And in between all that see about getting published on some research studies! Good luck!
Thank you so much for the advice. Will do!

Members don't see this ad :)
Impressive. Genuinely.

The one thing I see relatively lacking is the "humanity" part. Spend a good amount of time volunteering somewhere, probably non-clinical.

Like jonnythan said, I would recommend you look into a soup kitchen or maybe even disadvantaged public schools that might be in your area? I think you'll find that not only are these app builders, but the appreciation you get from the kids and the people you help genuinely makes you want to keep going back.

Best of luck!

Impressive. Genuinely.

The one thing I see relatively lacking is the "humanity" part. Spend a good amount of time volunteering somewhere, probably non-clinical.
Will do! Through NY Cares, I will make sure to volunteer at a soup kitchen. I know this isn't a great question to ask but how many hours would you say I would need?

Like jonnythan said, I would recommend you look into a soup kitchen or maybe even disadvantaged public schools that might be in your area? I think you'll find that not only are these app builders, but the appreciation you get from the kids and the people you help genuinely makes you want to keep going back.

Best of luck!
Thanks!

Will do! Through NY Cares, I will make sure to volunteer at a soup kitchen. I know this isn't a great question to ask but how many hours would you say I would need?

I think its less about hours and more about long term consistency. So just keep doing that.

an actual job involving clinical experience vs volunteer work would help.