What happens after graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandaman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, say you want to practice in some particular area, but if you end up going to dental school some place else, how hard is it to come back to the place you wanna practice in. So the location of the dental school you'll be attending is important for the location of your future practice?
thanx

james

Members don't see this ad.

Dentists can set up wherever they want; they just have to get licensure in the state where they want to live. There are plenty of states without dental schools and they still have dentists.

Make sure the school that you choose will prepare you well enough to pass the state licensure exam that you want to practice. Especially if you want to practice in CA or FL. Because the boards at those state are so hard to pass.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's the main reason, aside from tuition, why I chose my state school over Penn. Preparation for the Florida Boards is of the utmost importance and licensure requires a lengthy, elaborate program to prime you for the actual evaluation. Feels great to be a Gator these days !! hehehe

Why are people obsessed with gaining licenses in CA or FL?
Aren't those states saturated with dentists anywayz?

yes, cali is saturated with tons of dentists, as it is one of the few or the only state that allows international dentists to practice. There ain't no place like cali, especially socal baby!! all you socalers out there, you know what I'm talking about!

NSXdent

Where there is a will there is a way!

I'm gonna have an office in Florida and California.

Right, Damian and Tinker Bell? We're working together.

DesiDentist

Actually, I have another question relating to this topic: How does one look for a job as an associate after graduation? I've heard that the California schools (which is where I want to practice) will help you with that, but I may be going to school out of state. So how does a person find job placements this way? Any ideas?

Originally posted by pandaman
Why are people obsessed with gaining licenses in CA or FL?
Aren't those states saturated with dentists anywayz?

The states are saturated, but there is still a need for dentists in more rural areas. I was thinking about moving out to CA at one point, but the thought of having to participate in dental ppos and hmos drove me to stay where I was.