What happens if someone doesn't meet the graduation requirements but has been accepted to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samurai5511

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My best friend got accepted to medical school along with me but has an issue with his courses. We got admitted to the same school and were planning on living together. After meeting with his counselor about graduation, he realized that he may not graduate on time to attend our medical school's orientation in July.
I told him to talk to the medical school and our pre-health advisor to see if they can get the requirement waived. If he can not get the class waived, he may have to delay his entrance into medical school by a year.
If something like this occurs where graduation has to be delayed, will schools hold your acceptance or decline their offer?
I have been best friends with my bud for about 5 years through this whole pre-medical process and would hate to see him lose his acceptance. Even if he gets to school a year later, I am planning on rooming with him.

Members don't see this ad.

My best friend got accepted to medical school along with me but has an issue with his courses. We got admitted to the same school and were planning on living together. After meeting with his counselor about graduation, he realized that he may not graduate on time to attend our medical school's orientation in July.
I told him to talk to the medical school and our pre-health advisor to see if they can get the requirement waived. If he can not get the class waived, he may have to delay his entrance into medical school by a year.
If something like this occurs where graduation has to be delayed, will schools hold your acceptance or decline their offer?
I have been best friends with my bud for about 5 years through this whole pre-medical process and would hate to see him lose his acceptance. Even if he gets to school a year later, I am planning on rooming with him.
Usually, somewhere in the acceptance, it says something along the lines of, "Acceptance is contingent upon meeting all requirements for matriculation."

Therefore, yes, he could very easily lose his acceptance to medical school. However, pending how school's handle this situation, he may just get deferred a year. No one can definitely answer this question because it is definitely up to the school's discretion on how they want to handle it.

The best thing he can do is call his medical school, explain his situation, and see what they advise him to do.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user