What if I don't take courses I promised in the application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flossit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, anyone can answer this? So, I'm definitely planning to apply to NYU and UCSF. The latter requires biochemistry. If I will state on the application that I will take it, but later if accepted to NYU I won't, how NYU will look at it? Will they be reconsidering me? How would that see it? Negative? Anyone have heard of such situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Even though it's not a requirement at NYU, it is specifically recommended, which means it is still relevant on your application. Dropping a history course is one thing, but dropping biochem is asking for trouble anywhere. When in doubt, call admissions and ask before you drop anything you have represented that you have/will take. Plus, I imagine D1 is going to be less stressful the more you challenge yourself with undergrad science courses.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends on whether or not it was a pinky promise.

Reactions: 1 users
If accepted, contact admissions to make sure it's alright. If you drop projected coursework without their clearance, you risk rescinded acceptance.

Hi guys, anyone can answer this? So, I'm definitely planning to apply to NYU and UCSF. The latter requires biochemistry. If I will state on the application that I will take it, but later if accepted to NYU I won't, how NYU will look at it? Will they be reconsidering me? How would that see it? Negative? Anyone have heard of such situation?

Guys, I meant if I promissed on the application to take it, but will not take it I dont mean dropping or not.

You'll need to OK it with the school you were accepted at. If it isn't a requirement and you have a good reason not to take it (ie you are a non-trad and have to pay for these courses one by one out of pocket) they should be understanding. If they accepted you they want to work with you to make sure you end up attending! This situation happened to me and it was not a major issue.
However, since Biochem is a recommended course, you definitely need to ask. They may want you to take it, unless again you have a very good reason you can't.