What is a competitive USMLE score for IM residency at University Hospital????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BurninRiver

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

1st time poster....... I was just wondering peoples opinions on this. I took the USMLE and would like to do IM at a university hospital. Just wondering if anyone knows or is going through this process right now and has any extra information on it. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I did my residency at NORTH SHORE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL MANHASSET (which now has a medical school- Hofstra). About a third of my fellow residents were DO grads

It's hard to give a definite answer on this, because:

1. Not all university hospitals are equal in competitiveness.
2. The most competitive programs probably won't interview you because you're a D.O. (but some might).
3. The ones that do interview you may not weigh the USMLE or COMLEX heavily anyway and may care only that you passed.

IMO the summary is to do the best you can on the USMLE and hope for the best on Match Day. Internal medicine is definitely attainable in a solid university hospital as a D.O.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did my residency at NORTH SHORE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL MANHASSET (which now has a medical school- Hofstra). About a third of my fellow residents were DO grads

North Shore wasn't really a university hospital until recently, it was a "university affiliate" of NYU. I mention this only to point out that so-called university hospitals sometimes aren't.