What is a good master degree to get before dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MBLAQ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I currently in the 2014 application cycle am waiting for interviews and acceptance. I am trying to plan ahead just in case if I don't accepted this cycle. Now I know my timing is off for planning ahead because my family was in a difficult financial situation, we had to move and everything so I was working during the fall. Anyways, I was thinking of getting a master degree in a science field just in case if I don't get accepted this cycle but I am not sure which one should I do. Can you guys give some suggestions? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Anything science related where you will take upper level bio courses. I chose Molecular and Cellular Bio. But you can honestly choose anything that interests you like micro, biotech, etc.... However, I would stay away from public health masters

Anything science related where you will take upper level bio courses. I chose Molecular and Cellular Bio. But you can honestly choose anything that interests you like micro, biotech, etc.... However, I would stay away from public health masters

Cool thanks, I am thinking of doing biology too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Look into SMP's (special master's programs). They're designed for people that want to boost their credentials but might not want to take the extra year that's required for a traditional master's degree for research. Basically, with those, you'll have a year of graduate level coursework but no thesis. Mine worked this way although I did have a research project (again, no thesis). One year, 34 credits.

NOT Biomedical Engineering Masters... I made that mistake.

Look into SMP's (special master's programs). They're designed for people that want to boost their credentials but might not want to take the extra year that's required for a traditional master's degree for research. Basically, with those, you'll have a year of graduate level coursework but no thesis. Mine worked this way although I did have a research project (again, no thesis). One year, 34 credits.

^This.

I had a friend do a masters of anatomy in her gap year. She really enjoyed it and then got out of the anatomy classes in dent school

Why stay away from MPH?
Getting an MPH won't require you to take upper level hardcore science courses such as Advanced Micro, Developmental Bio, pharmacology, etc.... Correct me if I'm wrong but most MPH courses will be health management, awareness, policy etc. Not really courses that will be challenging in terms of advanced biology courses. Also, I was told by UIC that they prefer masters in things other than MPH.

Getting an MPH won't require you to take upper level hardcore science courses such as Advanced Micro, Developmental Bio, pharmacology, etc.... Correct me if I'm wrong but most MPH courses will be health management, awareness, policy etc. Not really courses that will be challenging in terms of advanced biology courses. Also, I was told by UIC that they prefer masters in things other than MPH.

Ah, I was just curious...from personal anecdotal tales MPH helps for specialty application. But what you're saying makes sense. And I salute your UIUC to UIC path...I think more than half of my class did that myself included.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want an MPH, pursue an MPH. Most dental schools will not allow you to exempt basic science classes that you earned with a MS, so you might as well further your education in something pragmatic and unique. A lot of dental schools are starting to restructure curricula to emphasize public health and dental public health, so a student with perspective on more than the Krebs Cycle is actually quite beneficial. Now if you're simply pursuing a MS to boost science GPA, you might just want to call the schools instead on what your options are instead of wasting money on a masters degree you'll simply cover again in dental school. Work in a dental lab; that will benefit you more than ANYTHING in pre-clinical classes.

If you want an MPH, pursue an MPH. Most dental schools will not allow you to exempt basic science classes that you earned with a MS, so you might as well further your education in something pragmatic and unique. A lot of dental schools are starting to restructure curricula to emphasize public health and dental public health, so a student with perspective on more than the Krebs Cycle is actually quite beneficial. Now if you're simply pursuing a MS to boost science GPA, you might just want to call the schools instead on what your options are instead of wasting money on a masters degree you'll simply cover again in dental school. Work in a dental lab; that will benefit you more than ANYTHING in pre-clinical classes.

@MBLAQ I recall from a previous post of yours that your overall and science GPA are both around 3.25. So the bolded part in the quote above is what I think will be the far better thing for you to do.

If I were you my plan of action would be:
(1) going back to undergrad and taking a bunch of science classes to improve overall and science GPA as much as possible
(2) working in a dental-related job and/or doing research
Doing these 2 things will help you at least as much as doing great in a masters and maybe even more. Also doing these 2 things are much much cheaper than paying for a masters, and having to take out a loan twice: for this and then again for dental school.

@MBLAQ I recall from a previous post of yours that your overall and science GPA are both around 3.25. So the bolded part in the quote above is what I think will be the far better thing for you to do.

If I were you my plan of action would be:
(1) going back to undergrad and taking a bunch of science classes to improve overall and science GPA as much as possible
(2) working in a dental-related job and/or doing research
Doing these 2 things will help you at least as much as doing great in a masters and maybe even more. Also doing these 2 things are much much cheaper than paying for a masters, and having to take out a loan twice: for this and then again for dental school.

Yes, In fact I am going to take Biochemistry this Spring. As for dental related jobs such as dental lab technician and dental assistants, most places require some kind of certification...

NOT Biomedical Engineering Masters... I made that mistake.
What makes it such a mistake? I heard one time that a BS in Biomedical Engineering makes med. schools and, presumably, dental schools want you to go out and work in that industry, but I'm not sure how much I believe that anymore. In fact, one of the faculty members at one of the schools I applied to specifically asked a group of us if anyone had that degree, because he really wanted to work with someone who does.

Is it just a really hard degree, so potentially a GPA killer?

What makes it such a mistake? I heard one time that a BS in Biomedical Engineering makes med. schools and, presumably, dental schools want you to go out and work in that industry, but I'm not sure how much I believe that anymore. In fact, one of the faculty members at one of the schools I applied to specifically asked a group of us if anyone had that degree, because he really wanted to work with someone who does.

Is it just a really hard degree, so potentially a GPA killer?
I did M.S. in Biomedical Engineering without any engineering background. They put me in grad level engineering classes full of engineers, I struggled to do the projects/class work (GPA killer). However if you have a good engineering background (ME, EE or BME) then M.S. in BME isn't super difficult.

I did M.S. in Biomedical Engineering without any engineering background. They put me in grad level engineering classes full of engineers, I struggled to do the projects/class work (GPA killer). However if you have a good engineering background (ME, EE or BME) then M.S. in BME isn't super difficult.

I am finishing up my MS in Biomedical Engineering. I did not do engineering in undergrad, so I was new to this as well. But to be able to succeed in this challenging curriculum and show that you can overcome obstacles and new challenges, I'm sure dental schools will like that. Plus, engineering gives you a whole different perspective to the medical sciences and a different method of thinking in which you can say it will help you tackle problem based learning.