what is a physician's role in society?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

red_cherry

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi sorry if this seems like a really dumb question but the wording of this question really confuses me. what kind of things would you talk about?

at the moment i can only think of patient-doctor relationships and dilemmas faced because of them. and about demoralisation of doctors.

Members don't see this ad.

red_cherry said:
hi sorry if this seems like a really dumb question but the wording of this question really confuses me. what kind of things would you talk about?

at the moment i can only think of patient-doctor relationships and dilemmas faced because of them. and about demoralisation of doctors.

-To act like he is better than the vast majority of human kind.
-To use his profession to maximize his income and move into really posh suburbs
-To develop a God complex by age 40 and then never admit he can be wrong
-To condescend to most fellow human beings

Ifellinapothole said:
-To act like he is better than the vast majority of human kind.
-To use his profession to maximize his income and move into really posh suburbs
-To develop a God complex by age 40 and then never admit he can be wrong
-To condescend to most fellow human beings

wow thanks so much!!!

didn't you ever get taught that if you don't have something nice to say then don't say anything at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
What the role should be and what is is two different subjects altogether. Some physicians fit in the should be role and some are in the what is. Some doctors do believe that they control all power when it comes to money, prestige, what should be done medically and that they hae the answer to all things. But what should the physician be. Well what would you want your physician to be to you. Personally I would want one that is caring and trusting. Be able to admit that he/she is not perfect but will do what they can to help. I should be able to put enough confidence in my physician that he/she will do no harm to me. Almost like my best friend would be to me. They know you and what makes you. This is just my opinion. :idea:

doctorjoy said:
What the role should be and what is is two different subjects altogether. Some physicians fit in the should be role and some are in the what is. Some doctors do believe that they control all power when it comes to money, prestige, what should be done medically and that they hae the answer to all things. But what should the physician be. Well what would you want your physician to be to you. Personally I would want one that is caring and trusting. Be able to admit that he/she is not perfect but will do what they can to help. I should be able to put enough confidence in my physician that he/she will do no harm to me. Almost like my best friend would be to me. They know you and what makes you. This is just my opinion. :idea:

hmm it must just be a culture thing, i'm from the UK and i've never seen a question worded that way, the 'role in society' bit to me means stuff like the village doctor must play the role of the official cake taster at the fete.

In any culture or society or even life, each person plays a ceratin role. Any job that is done whether it is a baker, janitor, housewife, construction worker, doctor, lawyer, etc... has its place. But what most people do is they make some roles more important than the others because of money or perceptions of that role. :wow:

doctorjoy said:
In any culture or society or even life, each person plays a ceratin role. Any job that is done whether it is a baker, janitor, housewife, construction worker, doctor, lawyer, etc... has its place. But what most people do is they make some roles more important than the others because of money or perceptions of that role. :wow:

I hope you're not insinuating that all roles are equal in the grand scheme of life, because that is certainly not the case. You try telling me that the cashier at Wal-Mart's work is as important as the President of the United States'. All things are not created equal, and every lap dance given by a stripper downtown is not equally as important as every tracheotomy performed by a physician.

Please disregard the above if you were being sarcastic. In that case, well played, good chap.

I would assume by "role" the question was seeking something less concrete than just a job description. For instance should the physician be a "pillar of the community"? Does the profession have a public health related expectation bestowed upon it to educate and inform the community? In addition to curing diseases and repairing injuries, should doctors be expected to give comfort to the incurable, perform research functions to improve the medical knowledge base, take advocacy positions against smoking/drinking/drugs, etc. That's how I think I would address this kind of question.