What is considered a full course load to be eligible for US dental schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys!

Here in Canada, if the course is worth 3 credits, 4 courses per term is considerd a full course load. But how about for US dental schools? What is considered a full course load? 5 courses per term or 4 courses per term?

Members don't see this ad.

ABout 12 credits is considered full time. that is 4 3credit. A full course load may be considered 15-16 credits. I think.

mmm. that's werid. there's actually a difference between full-time and full course load?

Members don't see this ad :)
Full time, just means the amount of time that you're spending on campus- I never understood why they picked 12-14 hrs per semester.

Full course load means you are taking as many credit hours as they will allow you. For instance 18 credit hours is the limit at my school, unless you have permission from the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences to take more.

ooo, so basically US dental schools are looking to see if you have "FULL TIME" course load which is 12-14 hr per semester?

ooo, so basically US dental schools are looking to see if you have "FULL TIME" course load which is 12-14 hr per semester?

ISU_Steve said:
Full time, just means the amount of time that you're spending on campus- I never understood why they picked 12-14 hrs per semester...

Most schools, including the U.S. government, estimate that an average student will spend between two and three hours each week per credit studying. If you follow the logic the time spent would be equal to that at a full time job, for example. Obviously that isn't always the case but it works well for determining aid and what not.

Smooth Operater said:
Hello guys!

Here in Canada, if the course is worth 3 credits, 4 courses per term is considerd a full course load. But how about for US dental schools? What is considered a full course load? 5 courses per term or 4 courses per term?

I always thought 5 courses per term is a full course load.