What's month is considered late for application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevin Ho

Reaction score
I was just wondering when is considered late when submitting applications?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've known of people getting in who applied in November.

But generally august or before is best. ideal is as soon as it opens but that can't always happen

Reactions: 1 user
My rule of thumb is to submit your application by July 4, and you become late after Labor Day (most schools have already scheduled or had at least one round of interviews). I won't argue with a mid-August "late" milestone.

The degree of "lateness" is a function of the metrics an applicant brings to the table. It is unlikely that a competitive applicant would be ignored because of the date stamped on the submitted application. It is also a function of the deadlines for submitting application. Early/late submission will likely depend on whether the submission deadlines are in September/October or January/February.

Reactions: 1 user
For any given cycle, the latest to apply without noticeably affecting your chances for acceptance is early September. Applying any later can limit your time for interviews prior to December 1st acceptance day and may start to conflict with application deadlines for some programs. If you find yourself applying after Sept, no worries; many students have been accepted still in this timeframe, including myself!