What is considered a "science" course (for science GPA calculations)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nasem

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reason I ask is.... I am a computer science and math major (do those count? If they do my science GPA is in real sweet shape)

Members don't see this ad.

Reason I ask is.... I am a computer science and math major (do those count? If they do my science GPA is in real sweet shape)

math counts as a science class. as far as computer science goes, i dont really know. AADSAS has an instruction guide that tells you how to classify each course.

whats more important BCP gpa or Science GPA??
I know dental school usually look at ONE GPA, which one is it?

Members don't see this ad :)
whats more important BCP gpa or Science GPA??
I know dental school usually look at ONE GPA, which one is it?

it probably depends on the school as to which one is more important but that being said both are important... so make every effort to keep both as high as possible.

thanks for the reply. my BCP and Science GPA are very similar (science .01 higher then the BCP...)
I just wish the overall and the non science count... my non science is a 4.0 too bad it doesn't count or so i have been told that...

thanks for the reply. my BCP and Science GPA are very similar (science .01 higher then the BCP...)
I just wish the overall and the non science count... my non science is a 4.0 too bad it doesn't count or so i have been told that...

dont get me wrong, the non science and cumulative count too as do the science and BCP. usually dental school websites show cumulative and science GPAs. i think schools look at the overall picture in terms of GPA.

I just thought the non science didn't count b/c a friend of mine got into UNC dental school with a 3.9 science and a 3.1 non science but thats properly just UNC.

Every school is different. Some schools look at Biochem and factor it into your biology GPA... others only look at physics, bio, chem, maybe ochem. Some even look at microbiology... I didn't know that math could be considered a science course... and I bet computer science surely doesn't count.

I'm sure they look at your overall GPA just as closely as your BCP, but it also depends on your major. If you graduated with a degree in Business and a minor in Econ, with a good GPA like 3.5,but your BCP grades were like a 2.7, I'm sure they wouldn't think you were a bad student; but they might wonder if you were serious about being a dentist.

I just thought the non science didn't count b/c a friend of mine got into UNC dental school with a 3.9 science and a 3.1 non science but thats properly just UNC.

Untrue guy. Thats like someone else said or the opposite of what someone said if someone majored in marketing, but took just the requirements needed for dental school and did well vs. biology major, with lower gpa, I don't think thats too fair.

Untrue guy. Thats like someone else said or the opposite of what someone said if someone majored in marketing, but took just the requirements needed for dental school and did well vs. biology major, with lower gpa, I don't think thats too fair.

thats exactly why they look at the overall picture with GPAs. that may be true that a person with those stats got in... but they may have had an impressive application. thats why ppl shouldnt focus just on numbers alone.

I have been told at my interviews that the most important gpa was science