What is considered extraordinary research for an undergraduate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PremedSurvivor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any links/resources about undergraduates who have really made high-impact achievements in research, such that they would be considered strong candidates for MD/PhD programs?

Also, if research is a key part of your application but your not applying to MD/PhD programs, would that necessarily hurt your chances? I.e. what if you wanted to do policy research instead of hard-science research, which is what most MD/PhD programs seem to focus on?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I had 3 pubs (one as first, two as third author) and presentations in 6 different conferences. I didn't apply MD phd because my interest is in clinical research, but I was told I had an incredible research background. All research was completed in highly competitive field and we're accepted in the field's top journals.

You don't need pubs to get into MD phd though. I know a couple people who had only general lab experience and got into phenomenal MD phd programs.

Are there any links/resources about undergraduates who have really made high-impact achievements in research, such that they would be considered strong candidates for MD/PhD programs?

Also, if research is a key part of your application but your not applying to MD/PhD programs, would that necessarily hurt your chances? I.e. what if you wanted to do policy research instead of hard-science research, which is what most MD/PhD programs seem to focus on?

No, it will not hurt your chances.