What is current 180 question 2016 NAPLEX like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doe_eyed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I'm very confused over the current state of the NAPLEX. I think it's great news that the exam won't officially be changing to the longer 240 question version until later this year. However, that still leaves me wondering what exactly the test is like now?

I will be taking the NAPLEX again in about a month (sadly, I still need to review a lot because apparently I retain virtually nothing.) I also struggle with select all that apply, so I'm taking as many RxPrep test banks as possible since a major reason I struggled with this exam is due to the fact I am bad at taking "adaptive tests" - I had no idea how they truly worked until after the fact.

So is the current NAPLEX like a 180 question version of the 240 one that will be coming out later this year? Or is it like somewhere in between? Somewhat like the old one and sort of like what it's expected to become?

RxPrep 2016 version said something like how it was geared for students graduating this spring/summer...so does that mean it would prove useless to me since I will be testing before then? Should I still be using RxPrep 2015? It's just too bad the quiz bank has changed to reflect 2016 page numbers and information.

Thank you,

doe_eyed

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I attempted it for the second time on 30th Jan. More complex poly pharmacy cases, 3 cases of biostat and pharmacoeconomics which I had no clue eventhough I knew biostat a little. Poly pharmacy cases from all over the place like cvd, anti cancer, anti microbial, endocrine, gut, skin, hiv. It was more complex than the 1st time. My advice is to find and solve poly pharmacy case studies and biostat economics questions and math questions as much as you can. I have started study from koda Kimble, RXPRep, comprehensive pharmacy review question exam those are the moderate version of what is coming in the exam. Kaplan also have case study based questions exam. My library has them so I will solve them as well

Bottom line is that I am a foreign grad. RXPRep, passnaplexnow, or any course can review your pharmacy knowledge under certain limit. They r sufficient for local grads or those foreign grads who have freshly got their degree. If my knowledge is not enough then they might not help me because I would have to menorize each and every thing and even that would not be sufficient because when you solve poly pharmacy case containing at least 5-7 disease states together, you must have experience and confidence solving them. So it's better at least for me to solve cases of koda Kimble.

I attempted it for the second time on 30th Jan. More complex poly pharmacy cases, 3 cases of biostat and pharmacoeconomics which I had no clue eventhough I knew biostat a little. Poly pharmacy cases from all over the place like cvd, anti cancer, anti microbial, endocrine, gut, skin, hiv. It was more complex than the 1st time. My advice is to find and solve poly pharmacy case studies and biostat economics questions and math questions as much as you can. I have started study from koda Kimble, RXPRep, comprehensive pharmacy review question exam those are the moderate version of what is coming in the exam. Kaplan also have case study based questions exam. My library has them so I will solve them as well

Bottom line is that I am a foreign grad. RXPRep, passnaplexnow, or any course can review your pharmacy knowledge under certain limit. They r sufficient for local grads or those foreign grads who have freshly got their degree. If my knowledge is not enough then they might not help me because I would have to menorize each and every thing and even that would not be sufficient because when you solve poly pharmacy case containing at least 5-7 disease states together, you must have experience and confidence solving them. So it's better at least for me to solve cases of koda Kimble.

Thank you for providing such detail....even though I now want to vomit. I just want to make sure I understand what you mean....so it's not like the old exam where one question was addressing HIV, another DM, and so on. Now the questions contain like HIV, DM, and HTN (for ex) all in one? OMG....

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes there are lots more sterile compounding questions. Some I couldn't figure out because I did not have the new version of the book which has more compounding information. I found out I passed the NAPLEX today. Make sure you know math, TPN and biostats. There are lots of poly pharmacy cases - read the question FIRST and then look at the patient information. They really do cover every disease state on the exam - KNOW BRAND/GENERIC - almost every question is asked with the brand name and there were some that I didn't know :( Good luck and study hard. RX Prep is really all you need - get the whole package - book, lectures and test bank because it is worth the money!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi,

So I'm very confused over the current state of the NAPLEX. I think it's great news that the exam won't officially be changing to the longer 240 question version until later this year. However, that still leaves me wondering what exactly the test is like now?

I will be taking the NAPLEX again in about a month (sadly, I still need to review a lot because apparently I retain virtually nothing.) I also struggle with select all that apply, so I'm taking as many RxPrep test banks as possible since a major reason I struggled with this exam is due to the fact I am bad at taking "adaptive tests" - I had no idea how they truly worked until after the fact.

So is the current NAPLEX like a 180 question version of the 240 one that will be coming out later this year? Or is it like somewhere in between? Somewhat like the old one and sort of like what it's expected to become?

RxPrep 2016 version said something like how it was geared for students graduating this spring/summer...so does that mean it would prove useless to me since I will be testing before then? Should I still be using RxPrep 2015? It's just too bad the quiz bank has changed to reflect 2016 page numbers and information.

Thank you,

doe_eyed
I have a close similar experience to you. I am waiting for a good reply.

Yes there are lots more sterile compounding questions. Some I couldn't figure out because I did not have the new version of the book which has more compounding information. I found out I passed the NAPLEX today. Make sure you know math, TPN and biostats. There are lots of poly pharmacy cases - read the question FIRST and then look at the patient information. They really do cover every disease state on the exam - KNOW BRAND/GENERIC - almost every question is asked with the brand name and there were some that I didn't know :( Good luck and study hard. RX Prep is really all you need - get the whole package - book, lectures and test bank because it is worth the money!
Congrat on you you passig score. Do you think Rxprep is enough for statistics???