What is it like to work as a kroger pharmacist these days?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noharmpharm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to get hired on with Kroger as a new grad floater pharmacist (I have never worked for kroger before). I was searching old comments, but it was hard to find much information, and anything about kroger seemed to be 3-5 years old.

Anybody who works for kroger out there willing to give me some info?

Script counts?
Tech help?
How hectic is the average day?
How many stores actually have pharmacist overlap?
Overall opinion of working as a kroger pharmacist?

The DM that would be my boss seems like a great person to work for.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Each KMA will be different so you should probably post yours if you want any useful information.

Here's what I know from classmates:

• More tech help
  • Script counts aren't above 400 generally speaking
  • Grocery store so you're not the focus of the business
  • 3 PTO days
  • 0 sick days
  • 2 weeks vacation as a new hire
  • Vacation must be used a week at a time
But that's just what I know being in Dallas. I was going to do part time work for them on weekends while I work my full time job as a clinical pharmacist but I went the independent route.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only 2 weeks vacation? and 1 week at a time? You can't travel far.

probably means 1 full week. can't split it up. usually all chains let you take 2 weeks off as long as it works with the schedule. so maybe not in july but probably you can take your two weeks in february if you want.

It's one week at a time meaning 7 consecutive days.
2 weeks/year is not good. You can't really travel very far. If you get sick once a year, that will easily take 1 week away. Where I work we have 5 weeks off a full year. You can take 5 weeks off at one time as long as it works for the schedule. Most take 2 weeks off at a a time.

2 weeks/year is not good. You can't really travel very far. If you get sick once a year, that will easily take 1 week away. Where I work we have 5 weeks off a full year. You can take 5 weeks off at one time as long as it works for the schedule. Most take 2 weeks off at a a time.

Who in the world takes off a full week when they are sick, unless they are hospitalized? I've never taken more than 1 sick day at a time, and that does include one overnight hospitalization I had. Besides, the person mentioned Krogers doesn't give sick days, that doesn't mean you would get to use your vacation day when you call in sick, that means if you are sick, you lose a day of pay.

BTW, 2 weeks is the standard for new employees of most any company. I've seen 3 weeks at some places. Of course, most places don't pay new pharmacist $180,000 for a 40 hour work week either, so of course, your job would offer 5 weeks, that is perfectly understandable.

1 week is plenty of time to fly anywhere on the continent and back again...it might be pushing it for cross-continental travel, depending on where you fly to.

Many people don't want to have to take a full week at a time, they like being able to take off a day or two here or there for special events. So its good for someone considering working at Krogers to know up front they will have to take a whole week off at a time.

Having to take a week off at a time would not work for me. I love the flexibility of using 1-2 days here and there for long weekends. Flexibility and plenty of PTO are going to play a big part in your job satisfaction.

Reactions: 1 user
Just text her and she said yes that you have to use a week at a time. You get 3 PTO days but you cannot use them on your 12 hour shift or weekends.

You also have to put in all vacation requests at the beginning of the year.

Kroger also uses a central fill system to help with the work load. This can be a big help but it has also caused some issues. This is in central ohio. They are big on giving vaccines and MTM services, which is nice in some ways but can also be distracting from your job of standing around and verifying prescriptions.

Thank you for the tips and insight everyone! I think I'm going to accept it. The biggest perk is all the stores I would be rotating through have overlap for 4-5 hours in the middle of the day so I would always be able to take a lunch. Its the little things.....