What is my best option?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

dms80790

hey

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help guys
You quite literally waited only an hour to assume that no one was going to post. Not everyone checks every thread here every 5 minutes...that sort of impatience won't help your case getting into med school.

In response to your original post, MD schools do not do grade replacement. Re-taking courses you did really poor in and getting an A would help your cause for DO schools. I doubt an SMP would accept you with a 2.44, they tend to have pretty rigorous standards as well. Its going to take a lot of work, but DO is your best shot.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot for your reply. I'm aware that MD schools don't do grade replacement. I was just wondering if I did a significant amount of classes, such as possibly another bachelors with a 3.8+ to bring up my cumulative gpa to just above a 3.0, would adcoms see that I kicked ass during my second bachelors and make up for the subpar cumulative gpa? Or would it be better to just replace grades to go the DO route? I would be thrilled to get into either MD or DO, but I would slightly prefer MD as I like their philosophy more and want to get into surgery, and from my understanding DO's are pushed more towards family practice

I don't know if the second bachelors thing would work, @Goro or @gyngyn can probably give you a better idea.

The DO vs MD thing has been beaten to death here, but the two philosophies are coming more into line with each other every year. They are eliminating DO only residencies and merging everything by 2019 from what I have heard. Secondly, DO's are found in all fields, they aren't "pushed' to do anything, and I personally know several DO's who are surgeons (Ortho, Trauma and Vascular) and other sub-specialties as well. Your best route is to re-take, do well on the MCAT, apply DO and then kick ass on the comlex and apply to surgical residencies.

This is exactly what a DIY post-bac is. It's perfectly fine too. But you have to ace it.
I am assuming no matter what I do from here on out, MD school is out of the question. Or is there some way of impressing adcoms by repeating a large amount of classes then doing an SMP, even though it would obviously be a long road?

Yes.
Would it be worthwhile to just do an informal postbacc and retake any classes I got less than a B in to spike my GPA up using the DO grade replacement, then aim for a 30+ MCAT?

I don't know if the second bachelors thing would work, @Goro or @gyngyn can probably give you a better idea.

The DO vs MD thing has been beaten to death here, but the two philosophies are coming more into line with each other every year. They are eliminating DO only residencies and merging everything by 2019 from what I have heard. Secondly, DO's are found in all fields, they aren't "pushed' to do anything, and I personally know several DO's who are surgeons (Ortho, Trauma and Vascular) and other sub-specialties as well. Your best route is to re-take, do well on the MCAT, apply DO and then kick ass on the comlex and apply to surgical residencies.

Again, thanks a lot for your help. Very much appreciated