What is success rate for matching into cards, gi, allergy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pufftissue

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have stats on # of total applications for each subspecialty vs. number of people who actually get offered a position?
Or just ballpark figures?

I hear of lots of people matching into cards, gi, allergy, but either I know all the smarties or maybe it's not so impossible?

My math says there are a lot more unhappy people applying to cards, gi, allergy than there are happy people. But yet I hear of more people matching than those who do not. But again i ask: ~300 people applying for 3 cards spots on avg? 250 apply for 2-3 Gi spots? 100 people apply for 1 allergy spot? How does anyone who is anything but the cream of the cream of the crop's cream match? Give me hope.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
pufftissue said:
Anyone have stats on # of total applications for each subspecialty vs. number of people who actually get offered a position?
Or just ballpark figures?

I hear of lots of people matching into cards, gi, allergy, but either I know all the smarties or maybe it's not so impossible?

My math says there are a lot more unhappy people applying to cards, gi, allergy than there are happy people. But yet I hear of more people matching than those who do not. But again i ask: ~300 people applying for 3 cards spots on avg? 250 apply for 2-3 Gi spots? 100 people apply for 1 allergy spot? How does anyone who is anything but the cream of the cream of the crop's cream match? Give me hope.

yo i dont get that either. moreover, i dont get how FMGs (caribbean kids included) get to match in these fellowships, regardless of their scores! FMGs get MORE time to study and they HAVE to study their a$$ of. i think american PDs really need to start 'filtering' harder. In all honesty, it ticks me off when an FMG gets a residency spot that a US grad applied to. it's called we need to start having more 'in housing' from our PDs. its such BS that no matter what US med school you go to you had to study your a$$ off and get in, and now these FMGs come in and take spots that shold be yours!

vent..

mountaindew2006 said:
yo i dont get that either. moreover, i dont get how FMGs (caribbean kids included) get to match in these fellowships, regardless of their scores! FMGs get MORE time to study and they HAVE to study their a$$ of. i think american PDs really need to start 'filtering' harder. In all honesty, it ticks me off when an FMG gets a residency spot that a US grad applied to. it's called we need to start having more 'in housing' from our PDs. its such BS that no matter what US med school you go to you had to study your a$$ off and get in, and now these FMGs come in and take spots that shold be yours!

vent..

The people who match to any fellowship in general demonstrate a better academic record, stronger work ethic, and just show more enthusiam than other applicants who were passed over, regardless of where they came from. Many Americans pride themselves in that this country is by and large a meritocracy, and that the brightest from other countries are recruited and contribute to the overall national production. If you're upset that some IMG is somehow "taking your spot", assuming you're qualified enough to get it in the first place, why don't you stop bitching about it and make yourself a more competitive candidate.

Peace.

America is a nation of immigrants. Unless you are a native american, you have no right to complain.

As far as fellowships are concerned, at my program I'd say that there are more FMGs than american grads who get spots in competetive fields. I'm not talking about US-IMGs (such as myself), but the real foreign grads (from Japan, India, etc..). Most of them come to our program with prior experience, are a little older, work harder and get more involved in research.

I say good for them..........that's what our country is all about.

I knew people who didn't match into cards or GI - of course there are lots of grads who are from weaker programs who don't match....
some did an extra research year and matched later, some then chose eg infectious disease, some became hospitalists, some comitted suicide :)

regarding the upset of FMG matching - think about it twice: often these guys from China worked for 5 yrs in research for little money and had to swallow A LOT OF BS. America owes big part of its competitiveness in research to these people. A lot of other countries would love to have them. If you were smart enough to get into a top medical school it's guaranteed you get a top fellowship. Also a lot of fellowships don't accept people on H1b and J-1 visas, it is actually not that easy. Then FMG have a huge disadvantage in USMLE because of language issues and lack of familiarity with the US health system. The veteran researchers form China who go into fellowship mostly have their well-deserved green cards......

Henle said:
I knew people who didn't match into cards or GI - of course there are lots of grads who are from weaker programs who don't match....
some did an extra research year and matched later, some then chose eg infectious disease, some became hospitalists, some comitted suicide :)

regarding the upset of FMG matching - think about it twice: often these guys from China worked for 5 yrs in research for little money and had to swallow A LOT OF BS. America owes big part of its competitiveness in research to these people. A lot of other countries would love to have them. If you were smart enough to get into a top medical school it's guaranteed you get a top fellowship. Also a lot of fellowships don't accept people on H1b and J-1 visas, it is actually not that easy. Then FMG have a huge disadvantage in USMLE because of language issues and lack of familiarity with the US health system. The veteran researchers form China who go into fellowship mostly have their well-deserved green cards......

hey i hear everyone. however, i must admit that those individuals and such from China have done their part, theyve worked hard. and yes they deserve to be rewarded. but let me ask you this. why do they come to america for their 'reward' ? why is their country not doing it for them?

next. in terms of FMGs, my concern is more with those US-IMG (no offense). but....most of us US grads worked harder and got into US schools. We surely deserve shots at both fellowships opportunities when comparing to those that went to the caribbean, foreign schools. i can understand FMGs from different countries who have had different experiences and expertise, however, a Ross or St. George Caribbean grad is truly just subpar to a US grad. all things being the same, those that opted to go to the caribbean or whatever, would have gone to a US MD or DO school had they actually gotten in.

bottom line.

mountaindew2006 said:
hey i hear everyone. however, i must admit that those individuals and such from China have done their part, theyve worked hard. and yes they deserve to be rewarded. but let me ask you this. why do they come to america for their 'reward' ? why is their country not doing it for them?

next. in terms of FMGs, my concern is more with those US-IMG (no offense). but....most of us US grads worked harder and got into US schools. We surely deserve shots at both fellowships opportunities when comparing to those that went to the caribbean, foreign schools. i can understand FMGs from different countries who have had different experiences and expertise, however, a Ross or St. George Caribbean grad is truly just subpar to a US grad. all things being the same, those that opted to go to the caribbean or whatever, would have gone to a US MD or DO school had they actually gotten in.

bottom line.

all doctors in china are paid almost the same: around $10,000 Yuan/mo, which is equivalent to about $1,250 dollars/mo here REGARDLESS OF SPECIALTY. however, the cost of living over there is almost the same as that of here, albeit a little lower. therefore, working your ass off being a doc (even if it's FP) in china is not at all a rewarding experience. i know of two people who came to my school working for a PhD degree even though both were already doctors in china, one an internist and her husband a ER doc. they said the ratio of pay to the amt of work is just not worth it.

anyhow, i do have to agree with ur views on those that went to caribbean schools.

Not everyone has the same focus when they are undergrads. People mature at different stages of their lives. I didn't even want to go to medical school until I was a senior. I was more concerned with having fun. I know that if I had been focused I would have gotten into a US med school. And as far as step scores, in-service exams and evaluations as a medicine resident are concerned, I have done as well or better than most of my colleagues who graduated from medical schools.

mountaindew2006 said:

bottom line.

You're trying to project a false USG and US-IMG dichotomy, as if all US grads are medical gods and all US-IMGs are complete bafoons on the wards. You have many excellent physicians who trained in the Carribean and overseas, as well as in US hospitals, and that's exactly what fellowship program directors look for in future fellows: excellent physician. It may very important to you that you trained in a US school, but fact of the matter is that it is less of a priority for the program directors who are making the decisions.

Also, for some reason, everyone's been debating as if US grads don't get fellowships. It's all the opposite. Maybe some bum US grad who bummed his way through his residency did not get the fellowship of his choice, but by and large US grads who are hard-working, motivated, and perform well in residency and with research get the TOP fellowship spots in the country. Yeah, the cards spot in west virginia might be filled by an IMG (likely a very good one), but guaranteed, the cards positions in Hopkins, the Brigham, and UCSF are filled with grads from Hopkins, the Brigham, and UCSF, who are stellar applicants, no doubt.

Point is: STOP COMPLAINING AND GET TO WORK.

Well said omaralt.

Please tell me I'm interpreting this wrong.

But I looked at those match statistics and all of those subspecialties show that only 50% of US grads matched into those fellowships. I'm not talking cards or GI either, I'm talking about supposedly "uncompetitive" fields like IM

This cant be legit can it? That means that these slots are harder to get into than many surgical residency programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
mountaindew2006 said:

vent..

I'll tell you why the Caribbean kids and DO's match into these subspecialties, it's because they work harder in clinicals and residency. U.S. grads feel entitled because they came from a U.S. M.D. school whereas the D.O.'s and IMG's feel like they have something to prove. They work harder in residency, accept more responsibility and do more than what is asked of them without complaining. I see this all the time.

And there is more to medicine besides how one did on the MCAT or in basic sciences. If someone works hard during residency and proves they are capable, I would much rather take that person than a U.S. grad with great board scores and academics but an average work ethic and people skills.

I'm glad that PD's are finally taking other factors into consideration as opposed to simply where someone went to medical school. There are many lousy U.S. grads that get into certain programs simply because of where they went to medical school. And don't fret, there are still programs that would gladly discriminate against an IMG and a DO despite their qualifications so you will more than enough programs to apply to.

Yes, the U.S. is a meritocracy but merit is judged on many factors which are not limited to a school's name and a USMLE score. Being a resident, I have come to appreciate that people skills are as important if not more important to being a physician. It doesn't matter how intelligent you are but if you can't play well with others, then I and most likely your patients isn't going to want to work with you either.

The following applies to fellowships associated with an academic center.

Okay.. my two cents after working under the director of a GI surgery fellowship in an academic center. From observing the 3 fellowships in the office where I did my year of research it seems they all have similar styles... they want a person who can handle research/publications and patients at the same time.

Most people by the time they apply to fellowships have proven they can handle patients. Can you handle publications / manuscripts / abstracts / statistical analysis? No? You are not very competitive then for a fellowship in an academic center. These professors get the icing for their cake from publications that add to the prestige of their department. Plus, their clinical trials get funded by pharm companies that look into how prestigous the academic center is in that field. If company X needs to do a clinical trial for pancreatic cancer adjuvant therapy, they will go look for academic physicians who published in that field and they will pay them to send a protocol to the IRB to be approved and start a trial in their center. Seen it happen and it's a good thing too because it is hard to get funding from other sources.

The best way to make yourself competitive is to get involved in research during residency. Not easy so I would ask others what did they do to get some publications with their name.

All the above probably doesn't apply for fellowship that is not associated with an academic center.... there are many out there like that.

mountaindew2006 said:

bottom line.

Where do you draw the line however? I understand that many U.S. grads worked hard in undergrad when compared to U.S.-IMG's. But I also know many U.S. grads that didn't work hard once they were admitted to medical school. There are many U.S. IM residents that were mediocre students but were given priority because of where they attended medical school. Do you really think it's fair that someone who worked harder in medical school should be penalized? You could make that argument too.

Seriously, when does the U.S. shool VIP card stop? It's been my experience that most U.S. M.D.'s medicine residents were those who settled on it because they couldn't get into more competitive fields. U.S. M.D.'s have a major advantage when applying to residency and they can have significantly weaker scores and still be admitted to competitive fields. So it's not uncommon to find many mediocre U.S. grads in Internal Medicine. There are exceptions of course. We knows medical students who have dreamed about doing medicine at Hopkins and other top programs but we all know the truth is the majority of U.S. M.D. grads are those who settled on medicine because they were not competitive enough for other fields. It's no secret why half of all residents in internal medicine are IMGs. It just bothers me when I see an IMG work extremely hard to get into an average medicine program. He will have better grades and test scores but because he was an IMG, that average IM program was the best he could hope for. On the flipside, you will see a U.S. M.D. in that same program who settled on it because he didn't study enough for Step I. Yes, he worked hard to get into medical school but once he got in, he relaxed and didn't study with the same intensity he had in undergrad. Why should the latter person be given priority simply because he got into a U.S. school? And doesn't recent performance of an individual speak more highly of one's attributes than someone who worked hard in undergrad and did average to mediocre in medical school.

esposo said:
Seriously, when does the U.S. shool VIP card stop? It's been my experience that most U.S. M.D.'s medicine residents were those who settled on it because they couldn't get into more competitive fields. U.S. M.D.'s have a major advantage when applying to residency and they can have significantly weaker scores and still be admitted to competitive fields. So it's not uncommon to find many mediocre U.S. grads in Internal Medicine. There are exceptions of course. We knows medical students who have dreamed about doing medicine at Hopkins and other top programs but we all know the truth is the majority of U.S. M.D. grads are those who settled on medicine because they were not competitive enough for other fields. It's no secret why half of all residents in internal medicine are IMGs. It just bothers me when I see an IMG work extremely hard to get into an average medicine program. He will have better grades and test scores but because he was an IMG, that average IM program was the best he could hope for. On the flipside, you will see a U.S. M.D. in that same program who settled on it because he didn't study enough for Step I. Yes, he worked hard to get into medical school but once he got in, he relaxed and didn't study with the same intensity he had in undergrad. Why should the latter person be given priority simply because he got into a U.S. school? And doesn't recent performance of an individual speak more highly of one's attributes than someone who worked hard in undergrad and did average to mediocre in medical school.

The reality is, with USMG's, program directors favor US grads have a much better assurance of the quality of interns they are getting because of more familiarity with each of the US accredited medical schools each have their own curriculum standards, which is much more tightly regulated than off shore schools, and much more known than foreign schools.

This assurance weighs in more than any Step scores can provide.

I am not saying foreign grads are all poorly trained, or they are poor physicians. There are good ones out there, to be sure, thats why they are snatched up. I have seen talented people rise to be division chiefs and department chairs who did not train in the US (most of whom promoted to this level are trained in Europe). On the other side of the coin, I am sure there are many directors out there who regret taking a grad from India/China/xyz who knows how to study and take standardized tests and get 99's, but who doesn't know how the american hospital works, have little clinical common sense and speak broken, heavily accented English who can barely communicate. There are just some things scores dont tell you.

For US IMG's, yea, road is rough off shore. But just be glad that America already have a very laxed policy towards people who did not train in the system. You still have a shot if you work hard and ace your steps to get a decent spot somewhere. This lax policy is why there are so many IMG's in this country - their doors are shut in every other first world country. In any other first world country (ie. Canada, EU, Japan, S Korea) if you dont get in through the front door you can kiss your physician aspirations good night. Canada for example, took uh... 2 out of 2500 last year (that's including US grads who are considered foreign to Canada). In fact, even with a US MD degree (with US supposedly is the most medically advanced country in the world), it's hard to impossible to do ANY residency in any other first world countries because their policies are much more stringent than the US.

I know I will probably get some flames, but the above is why I dont consider being an US grad is like having a "VIP card" to good residency. Consider that an USIMG can go off shore, finish a degree in an unaccredited medical school and still be considered for an American residency spot a "meal ticket" in disguise.

Appologies in advance for the following rant ;) ...

As long as USIMG's (citizens) pay taxes in this country they have EVERY right to a training spot. If you were dumb enough to be out scored by these so called "poor" graduates you deserved to go unmatched. There is far to much arrogance and frustration in this thread. Get off your pedistal and work hard. These IMG's go through the SAME medical training, SAME board exams, and SAME process as US grads and you STILL can't compete??? That is friggin pathetic. There are kids busting their ass in third world countries to do what you take for granted and you STILL want a residency handed to you?? Some of you need a firm kick in the nads! No US grad deserves a spot over a more qualified IMG. On top of that IMG's practically get bottom of the barrel spots in the most rural and undesirable locations, with a lucky few ending up in university position. And still people have the audacity to complain?? Get over yourselves. :laugh: :laugh:

..end rant :smuggrin:

Renovar said:
For US IMG's, yea, road is rough off shore. But just be glad that America already have a very laxed policy towards people who did not train in the system. You still have a shot if you work hard and ace your steps to get a decent spot somewhere. This lax policy is why there are so many IMG's in this country - their doors are shut in every other first world country. In any other first world country (ie. Canada, EU, Japan, S Korea) if you dont get in through the front door you can kiss your physician aspirations good night. Canada for example, took uh... 2 out of 2500 last year (that's including US grads who are considered foreign to Canada). In fact, even with a US MD degree (with US supposedly is the most medically advanced country in the world), it's hard to impossible to do ANY residency in any other first world countries because their policies are much more stringent than the US.

Actually, you are quite mistaken. It may be true that you have to enter through the front door to medical schools in England and other first world countries, but their front door doesn't pose a permanent ban like our front door. In the U.S., you can be permanently crippled by your undergraduate GPA. In England and France, you can retake your exams the following year and if you score respectably high, you can be admitted to their country's medical school. Wouldn't that be nice in the U.S. if we had one set of national exams and that if you failed them the year before, you could retake them the following year and if you scored high enough you could be admitted to medical school regardless of your previous performance. You are also failing to account for private schools in other countries like India, China and Austria etc. that will accept anyone regardless of scores. The graduates of these schools can work in their respective countries. There are no schools like that in the U.S. If you have a low GPA, you can't get into most medical schools regardless of your MCAT score unless youre a minority or a resident of a state like Mississippi. You might get in through the backdoor by enrolling in a Masters program and then reapplying for several years assuming your MCAT is well over 30.

If you achieve a high enough MCAT to get into a U.S. allo school then you have enough brains to score welll on the USMLE Step I. If some USIMG outscores you on Step I and has better grades, it's not because he was a better "test-taker", it's simply because he worked harder than you in medical school. If someone gets better grades, board scores and letters, then he or she should be taken over someone who was weaker in those areas. I don't know, it just seems a bit unfair that a person just needs to work hard for his first 3 years in college and then have his life made for him after that. It's even more unsettling to realize that someone from California that has a 3.5 and 30 MCAT has to go to Ross because he can't get into his states' medical school but someone from Oklahoma or Texas with weaker scores can get into their state medical school.

To the U.S. M.D. grad, just be glad that our system will excuse weaker scores because you attended an allopathic school in the U.S. This essentially translates to undergraduate performance taking precendence over medical school performance. This is why this argument is so illogical. We are rewarding people based solely on how hard they worked in college.

Our front door is not a perma-ban. You can reapply to your satisfaction, and retake MCAT to your satisfaction. A significant number of each year's entry class are re-applicants. Ever heard of post-bac programs, masters programs, PhD? I have friends who are in med school now got in after his 4th try with their undergrad 2.7's but have went on to many wonderful things like peace corps, missionary work, EMT work and masters culminating in a med school acceptance. And yea, not everyone in this world who is a premed is born to go to Harvard or UCSF med. You have to go to University of Missisippi or Chicago med school if that's what it takes to be a doctor, solely because it sure beats the rejection bin or offshore exile, no? To get in the best of anything (medicine, law, life in general) not only takes a talented, hardworking individual but takes a lot of grooming and luck as well. I can assure you that in UK, if you take your A Level exam and didn't score high enough to get in any med school on your first attempt, you will have no realistic shot of University of Cambridge Faculty of Medicine on your second attempt (unless you really had a bad day or just is ridiculously unlucky the first go). You might scrape in bottom barrel, and thats what most retakers go for. How is that different from re-applicants shooting for, and ended up getting into 2nd/3rd tier US schools? SOme states are harder than others, that's why taking a look at many of the 2nd and 3rd tier private med schools in other states (and even some 1st tiers) you will see the qualified California refugees.

In general, American medical schools are already quite easy to get in (last years AAMC stats show 50+% of applicants get in) compare to the rest of the first world in terms of acceptance rate, that yea... if you didn't get in once, you may be unlucky, but if you try 5 times and still can't get in any US med school, there is probably more than one thing that's wrong that perhaps it's the fate's way of letting you know you shouldn't be a doctor.

In India, the screening door is at the board/licensure exam step, not the med school entry step. You go to one of those schools with open door policy, statistically you have something like 30% chance of making it to graduation, and if you actually graduated, if you want to practice in India you have a high rate of exam failure. To my knowledge, I do not know of any mainland Chinese or Taiwanese medical school that will accept you without your college entrance exam or common university application (Taiwan).

"Work harder" is a difficult term in this case. Many off shore medical schools teach with the sole purpose of test prep. Many US schools teach to their curriculum, not with this sole purpose. Some schools, including many of the top schools, have research requirements built into their first 2 years at the expense of their basic science teaching (ie. at Duke medical school students spend 1 year of basic since and 1 year research.) Just because you score higher on USMLE doesn't mean you worked harder, because the time you spent memorizing First Aid for USMLE Step 1 is the time someone else is doing research, community services, or authoring an abstract. It's just different focus, and everything else have to be taken into consideration, like activies, pubs, etc. That's why reglardless of specialty, step 1 is not the only thing PD's look at for a good reason.

In addition, I am just trying to make the argument that American grads have a more consistent, uniform training on their clinical ward services on 3rd/4th yr med school, which is considered the biggest equalizer across all US med schools. Basically, all US medical grads will have guaranteed to have trained mostly at the 150 or so leading academic hospitals in the country that is affiliated with their medical school, know how teaching hospitals and how clinical services work. You cannot same the same uniformly with foreign grads, where everyone trained at different places of uncertain quality.

This assurance weighs in more than any Step scores can provide. Believe it or not, studying hard is not the only thing that will make you a better doctor. If a USIMG have better grades/scores/letters/pubs than another USIMG, perhaps he is a better candidate because you can compare apples with apples (even then it's not the case all the time... just watch a Harvard med school grad with below average grades and boards take a spot over an AOA from a state school.) Comparing USIMG's with FMG's is like comparing apples with oranges. Most FMG's and PDs focus on step 1 because that's the only common data point in common.

Our front door is not a perma-ban. You can reapply to your satisfaction, and retake MCAT to your satisfaction.

You are allowed to take the MCAT 3 times and then you have to apply for special permission to retake the MCAT. And with each subsequent attempt, your chances of being accepted to medical school dwindle. Many programs will not interview a candidate if they see a candidate has taken the MCAT more than 3 times.

A significant number of each year's entry class are re-applicants. Ever heard of post-bac programs, masters programs, PhD?

Have you ever listened to what those re-applicants had to go through? Many of them are required to post MCAT scores higher than the mean of the school in addition to succeeding in their respective graduate programs which is not easy. And even with all that done, there is no guaranteee they will be accepted to a U.S. medical school. There are many Caribbean applicants that underwent these programs and were still forced to going the IMG route. The system in other countries favor reapplicants because their slate is essentially wiped clean if they score high enough on the national exams the following year. It would be rather nice if a repplicant was told that he or she was guaranteed a spot if he simply reached a score on the MCAT. No medical school will promise that.

I have friends who are in med school now got in after his 4th try with their undergrad 2.7's but have went on to many wonderful things like peace corps, missionary work, EMT work and masters culminating in a med school acceptance.

I also know someone who has applied 6 years in a row and has not gotten in. They also did wonderful things like performing additional graduate and volunteer work. Contrary to what you believe, it isn't a formula. There is no guarantee you will get into a U.S. school even with a 36 MCAT if your GPA is subpar. No school will make such a promise.

How is that different from re-applicants shooting for, and ended up getting into 2nd/3rd tier US schools?

The schools I'm referring to are 2nd and 3rd tier medical schools. I'm not referring to Duke and Harvard. You think it's a given that you will get into those schools which it's not. And unless you move to Mississippi, buy a house, live and work there for several years, you won't achieve residency status. States are not falling for the "live there for a year and apply for a drivers' license bit" any longer. State medical schools are insistent on protecting its true residents so they set their own criteria as to what defines residency which can differ significantly from the state's general standard.

SOme states are harder than others, that's why taking a look at many of the 2nd and 3rd tier private med schools in other states (and even some 1st tiers) you will see the qualified California refugees.

That is a misconception. Many amazing candidates use these 2nd and 3rd tier medical schools as their safety schools. These schools might lack the prestige associated with their Cleveland Clinic and Hopkins counterparts but they are still located in large metropolitan cities. So for many strong applicants, they would rather attend Boston U. than going back home to Iowa. Case in point, Loyola University is considered a second tier private medical school however, it's Chicago location makes it very competitive. Boston University is the same way.

In general, American medical schools are already quite easy to get in (last years AAMC stats show 50+% of applicants get in) compare to the rest of the first world in terms of acceptance rate, that yea... if you didn't get in once, you may be unlucky, but if you try 5 times and still can't get in any US med school, there is probably more than one thing that's wrong that perhaps it's the fate's way of letting you know you shouldn't be a doctor.

That information is misleading because undergraduate schools in the United States weed out applicants before they are in a position to apply. Therefore, the people who make it to the application stage in the United States are fairly reputable candidates to begin with. In foreign countries, there is no weeding out process. Far more people will apply before taking their national exams. The ones who score high enough are accepted to those schools. Imagine if U.S. students could apply to medical school directly out of high school. Now imagine if their acceptance was based solely on their SAT score. If that were the case, the percent accepted would be significantly less than 50% since so many more students would have applied. That is essentially what medical schools admissions are like in foreign countries.

In India, the screening door is at the board/licensure exam step, not the med school entry step. You go to one of those schools with open door policy, statistically you have something like 30% chance of making it to graduation, and if you actually graduated, if you want to practice in India you have a high rate of exam failure.

That is not true at all. I don't know where you are getting your information. Getting admission to these schools in India is challenging. There is no open door policy unless you are referring to one of the private schools but those operate like Caribbean schools so there is no pyramid scheme.

"Work harder" is a difficult term in this case. Many off shore medical schools teach with the sole purpose of test prep. Many US schools teach to their curriculum, not with this sole purpose.

U.S. schools also have M.D.'s teaching several of their courses. M.D. professors are known to abridge material and teach practical information for clinicals and the boards since they are physicians themselves. Off-shore schools hire foreign PhD's who are unfamiliar with the North American system so it can be a challenge to learn from one of these professors. Many offshore schools do not offer perks associated with U.S. medical schools like lecture notes, student note systems and PBL group learning. Many of the offshore schools require you to read textbooks and take notes in class the old fashioned way. Many U.S. schools are pass/fail so the nature of the class isn't as cutthroat as the environment in offshore schools. Even the Honors/Pass/ Fail schools break students down into thirds as opposed to reporting an exact class rank which further protects U.S. students from scrutiny. And then let's discuss volume. Would you rather compete with 300 students gunning for the same goal or 100 students? Yes, many of these 300 students are not strong students but a significant portion of them are. I can imagine at least 200 of those students are serious. Then there is the challenge of studying in a foreign country. How would you like it if you had to endure power outages for hours at time. It's much easier studying in an air-conditioned apartment with no threat of power outages, petty crime or hurricanes in addition to having access to standard U.S. amenities.

Some schools, including many of the top schools, have research requirements built into their first 2 years at the expense of their basic science teaching (ie. at Duke medical school students spend 1 year of basic since and 1 year research.)

The key is "some" schools and research also offers significant down-time in which students can plan their schedule however they wish. I have done enough research in my time to know that I can study while I wait hours to prepare items. I have two family members that are M.D./Ph.D's so I'm quite familiar with what is entailed in research. Yes, it requires a lot of work but it also offers enough flexibility for one to study should he or she prioritize. In many ways it is easier than having to attend class at a fixed schedule. And since you mentioned schools with research requirements, what about the notoriously easy U.S. medical schools like Brown and Stanford. There are several U.S. medical schools like this that offer high grade inflation and very loose standards. Those schools are difficult to get into but once you are in, they are known for being lax.

Just because you score higher on USMLE doesn't mean you worked harder, because the time you spent memorizing First Aid for USMLE Step 1 is the time someone else is doing research, community services, or authoring an abstract.

There are plenty of students that do research and community service and still succeed on scoring well on the USMLE. Research and community service should not be excuses as to why one failed to score high on Step I. And even if that was the case, shouldn't the student be penalized for not prioritizing? After all, we are more than happy to penalize and undergrad that didn study enough for the MCAT. The undergraduate could claim that he or she was busy with research and community service. So it's okay if a U.S. graduate scored poorly on Step I because he was busy doing research and community service, but it's okay to penalize a U.S. undergraduate for not studying enough for the MCAT despite he or she having other responsibilities? It seems like a double standard to me.

That's why reglardless of specialty, step 1 is not the only thing PD's look at for a good reason.

I never claimed it was the only thing they looked at. But there is a reason why the top programs set cutoffs on Step I scores and why it's generally regarded to be the most important element in your application above even grades and AOA since those criteria are subjective and dependent upon the medical school one attends.

In addition, I am just trying to make the argument that American grads have a more consistent, uniform training on their clinical ward services on 3rd/4th yr med school, which is considered the biggest equalizer across all
US med schools.

What about the IMG's who train in the United States during the 3rd and 4th years alongside U.S. students? So the U.S. students who are doing rotations alongside them are receiving proper training but the IMG's are not for whatever reason?

You cannot same the same uniformly with foreign grads, where everyone trained at different places of uncertain quality.

Traveling during rotations is not limited to IMG's. Plenty of U.S. students elect to travel to different hospitals for rotations. And a lack of uniformity in no way translates to poor training. What does it matter if an IMG does his IM rotation in NYC and his Peds rotation in a different hospital in NYC. They are both hospitals in the United States. You are just making an assumption that it is poor because they are traveling.

Most FMG's and PDs focus on step 1 because that's the only common data point in common.

But like the MCAT, PD's also know Step I is test of discipline. You may claim that anyone can just memorize a FIRST AID but why do so many of fail to do that then? Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it is extremely challenging to devote so many hours to prepare for it. It requires certain fortitude for one to prepare for that exam in addition to providing themselves with critical thinking skills and the ability to apply medicine in a variety of ways. Step I is not a spelling bee, it requires more than memorization.

anyone interested in getting this thread back on track? Sooo. there are 670 cardio spots a year, anyone know rough estimate of how many people are applying?

The reason IMGs and FMGs get competitive subspecialties is b/c they did better than US MDs during residency. No one will argue that if 2 candidates are exactly equal a US MD will get the spot over the IMG every time. However, one of the reasons that FMGs/IMGs can get these fellowship positions is that the further away from medical school you are, the less it matters where you went.

Saying that US MDs should always get a specialty spot over a FMG/IMG is like saying a Harvard undergrad should get a competitive residency position over an applicant who went to state school for undergrad. Looking at the 2 candidates this way completely neglects the body of work done during med school, just like comparing FMGs/IMGs to US MDs applying for a sublspecialty bypasses their entire residency work. We all know that most of what we learned in medical school is forgotton during residency, especially when you start to specialize. After a few years, the sparkle of US MD starts to fade and it just doesn't matter where you learned basic phsyio or anatomy. PDs start to care more about where you published and what you did during residency.

I read all these posts, and I must say, there's a lot of hostility there.

Here's my take - I admire IMGs - it's hard to go to another country and go to medical school, and come back to the US to do residency - it's an uphill battle and I applaud all of you who do it.

Why do people go to foreign med schools? Well, there's a lot of reasons, here's some:
1. Didn't do well in undergrad - those who didn't know they wanted to be doctors may not have done the premed classes, or didn't study hard, but realized to late that they wanted to go to med school - IMGs should not be punished for having this goal.
2. Med school admissions is a crap shoot - it's either you get it or you don't - there's thousands who apply, and 1 in 3 will get into a US school - if you dont' get in, why give up on your dream? Some go to DO schools while others go to foreign med schools - if you have a dream do it!

I'm one of those US grads who went to a top ten medical school, and I did work hard, I got the great GPA - and guys I even took the MCAT 4 times - and it didn't at all prevent me from getting into med school, and I didn't have to request permission to take it a 4th time (back when I took it, 4 times was a limit before you had to request)- why I took it 4 times, because I was so focused on thinking I need to get a huge score - my scores were 30, 32, 34, 35 - maybe it was because I did better each time, who knows.

So if you can't get into a US school, still chase your dream, work your butt off in residency, and you will get fellowship.

IMGs - you guys are smart and equally as capable as the rest of us.