What is the best resource for the genetics portion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rls303

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
What do you guys feel is the most beneficial resource/good representation for the Genetics portion? I feel like I'm the weakest in this area. I heard TBR Bio is too hard and detailed, way more than what we need to know outside of SDN, but a lot of you seem to like it. If I just stick to EK, will I be okay?

I know that there's no way to know for sure. Genetics was AWFUL for me in College! You should have seen our final! TBR seems to take similar drosophila crossing questions! :(

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.amazon.com/reader/052160365X?_encoding=UTF8&ref_=sib_dp_pt

I used this book when taking my genetics class. very helpful. i used it for the MCAT, but beware that it quickly gets beyond the scope of the MCAT.

Read the relevant sections of chapter Medelian Genetics, probability, and pedigree analysis. Some of the problems in the DNA/RNA section may be helpful too.

It's pretty expensive for a book that you'll only read 2-3 chapters. See if your library has it first before buying.

I used the Princeton Hyperreview book in combination with EK and my 1st year Zoology book. I found that most of the MCAT genetics questions only test really basic stuff, but ask it in a very confusing way. Doing practice questions for me to get used to thinking in the right way was what helped the most.

TPR has a good amount of genetics stuff. My workbook had ~10-15 free standing questions, ~10 passages including difficult pedigree problems. Also, if you can get your hands on the Bio review book, there are a lot of problems dispersed throughout the reading as well.