What is the best way to contact an optometrist about shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kzn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I call, email, send a letter to, or visit the offices of local optometrists? What methods did you find most successful to? And have you found that most optometrists are fairly open to this idea? (I realize some might not be, but I have a list of about 5-6 potential optometrists to ask). I am currently a pre-optometry/biology undergraduate at a university in Chicago. I would prefer to shadow an optometrist with their own practice verus one in a retail setting like Pearl Vision, etc. (so my own optometrist is out). THANKS.

Members don't see this ad.

I have shadowed 2 optometrists so far. I wanted to originally just walk in but I think it would be a waste of time since you don't know whether or not the doctor will be in that day, or they might just be too busy to talk to you.

First Optometrist:
I called into the front desk and asked if I could make a 5-10 min appointment with the doctor to see if I could shadow him. The receptionist/optician told me that I didn't need to make an appointment and to just walk in and he told me the days that the doctor was in. So I did that, doctor was very nice right away. All went well :)

Second Optometrists:
I called in asking the same thing. There were 5 or 6 optometrists working there. The receptionist told me that she will send an email to all the doctors and call me back when she gets a reply. Eventually she got back to me and told me that one of the doctors would like me to shadow her. Turns out she was the owner/founder of the entire practice!!! What better doctor to shadow. She inspired me a lot right away.

In between these two, I called my optometrist that I went to when I was a child. It took them a long time to get back to me so I called myself for a follow-up and they just took another message and told me they would call me back again. A week later they called me back and told me that it is "clinic policy to not have any student here unless they are an optometry student"... so no undergrads.

Should I call, email, send a letter to, or visit the offices of local optometrists? What methods did you find most successful to? And have you found that most optometrists are fairly open to this idea? (I realize some might not be, but I have a list of about 5-6 potential optometrists to ask). I am currently a pre-optometry/biology undergraduate at a university in Chicago. I would prefer to shadow an optometrist with their own practice verus one in a retail setting like Pearl Vision, etc. (so my own optometrist is out). THANKS.

Optometrist 1: Was my old Optometrist. Talked to her about wanting to be an Optometrist during one of my appointments like my freshman or sophomore year of colleges... invited me to shadow with her...
Optometrist 2: Is my current Optometrist. Brought up my optometry interest during one of my yearly appointments and it sort of took off from there. I shadow with him 4-5 hours once a month for the past year and he is writing my recommendation letter as well. I would say majority of my shadowing hours come from him. He goes beyond the shadowing and actually educates me on research, terminology, technology, insurance practices, etc... (which I appreciate). He also gives me advice when it comes to the application process (overall he's pretty much the best!)
Optometrist 3: Recommended from my Pre-Health advisor whom gave me her email. She replied and I shadowed her.

2 are small private practice and 1 is large state-wide private practice. I am possibly shadowing a 4th in commercial at target whom Optometrist 3 recommended to me after I take my OAT. Just ask around! The least they can do is so no. Try your personal Optometrist as well. Network! Try LinkedIn, Email, Call!