What is the Dress Code for White Coat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

valkirieas

Reaction score
I know this is many months away, but since a lot of stores are having juicy end of year/post-xmas sales and I'm a bit picky with clothes...I was wondering if I should take advantage of the sales and get something for the presumably-a-bit-fancier-than-my-interview-suit attire I imagine I will need next Fall.

Was just wondering if anyone had some insight as to what kind of dress code is expected. Is it similar to graduation where anything neat and semiformal is acceptable? For women, should we avoid prints (such as florals, geometric shapes, etc.)? Are (appropriate length) dresses fairly common or should I be sticking to dress pants? Or any advice like colors to avoid, or some factors that people might not even think of in advance?

I imagine the dress code is fairly common among schools, but if anyone has heard of/experienced any specific requirements for a school, I'd be interested in hearing about that too, more out of curiosity than anything else! Also welcoming any funny or interesting stories people might have about this topic :)

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is many months away, but since a lot of stores are having juicy end of year/post-xmas sales and I'm a bit picky with clothes...I was wondering if I should take advantage of the sales and get something for the presumably-a-bit-fancier-than-my-interview-suit attire I imagine I will need next Fall.

Was just wondering if anyone had some insight as to what kind of dress code is expected. Is it similar to graduation where anything neat and semiformal is acceptable? For women, should we avoid prints (such as florals, geometric shapes, etc.)? Are (appropriate length) dresses fairly common or should I be sticking to dress pants? Or any advice like colors to avoid, or some factors that people might not even think of in advance?

I imagine the dress code is fairly common among schools, but if anyone has heard of/experienced any specific requirements for a school, I'd be interested in hearing about that too, more out of curiosity than anything else! Also welcoming any funny or interesting stories people might have about this topic :)
Interview suit is probably funeral black, right?

Just dress nice. Sport jacket, tie, nice slacks and shoes and you're good to go as a guy. Nice dress or blouse + skirt for a gal.

Reactions: 1 users
I seem to recall most women wearing knee length (not long) dresses. Pants are okay, too but most women went with dresses. Many schools post white coat ceremony photos on their Facebook/Instagram accounts so you can take a look there. Obvioiusly, no one wears a suit jacket or cardigan because the white coat is a jacket.
not my school but here's a pretty good picture of what students were wearing earlier this year at Penn State:

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the input! That does help since I was considering a full length dress.

(Thinking about it now, I can see how that would look weird with the coat on top :unsure:)

Only attaching because i was able to find a picture lol
But i wore this Ralph Lauren dress for mine.

If you want prints as a girl, go for it. Wear what you like and are comfortable wearing.

Attachments

• 42A53E87-E08F-4018-BF6A-9782724D562E.jpeg
    42A53E87-E08F-4018-BF6A-9782724D562E.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 273
Reactions: 3 users
Whatever you want other people to see under your white coat.

Just a personal preference, but some schools provide a traditional white coat for their students - not the hip-length short coat. As a female, know which one your school is providing and make sure if you’re wearing a dress that it’s at least an inch longer that the coat.

Also, I’m all for, “wear something you like and that you’re comfortable in,” but as a future professional, dresses that are 6”+ above your knee don’t fit the mold. A perfect example of this is in the link that @LizzyM shared...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I saw a lot of business formal. Little black dress is common. I wore a solid pastel knee length dress and matching heels. Not a lot of patterns that I recall. Be comfortable but tasteful. I felt white coat ceremony was a more formal event and dressed up a little more than what I would wear in clinic or rotations. Pick something you would want to have a lot of pictures in (cause it will happen) both with and without the white coat.

Sent from my SM-G970U using SDN mobile

IMO professional attire is pretty much mandatory. Colors/patterns are fine as long as they're tasteful; you really can't go wrong with conservative though.

I personally like the idea of dressing in the colors of your school, but that's just me.

Reactions: 8 users
IMO professional attire is pretty much mandatory. Colors/patterns are fine as long as they're tasteful; you really can't go wrong with conservative though.

I personally like the idea of dressing in the colors of your school, but that's just me.
Big "yes" to school colors.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview suit is probably funeral black, right?

Just dress nice. Sport jacket, tie, nice slacks and shoes and you're good to go as a guy. Nice dress or blouse + skirt for a gal.
My friend wore a pastel-print maxi dress. Most ladies seem to have a dress/tights or a skirt/blouse, similar to the " business-casual" clothes described in the "dress code" thread. I think your dead black would be overkill ( I went to one friend's whitecoat and saw pics from other friends at their white coats). Time for us to break out those long skirts we talked about ;)

Do keep in mind that the white coat goes over the clothing you are wearing in a clinical setting. Unless you would wear a maxi-dress in clinic, I can't see the point of wearing it at a white coat ceremony. This is not the time to dress for prom or for clubbing.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Do keep in mind that the white coat goes over the clothing you are wearing in a clinical setting. Unless you would wear a maxi-dress in clinic, I can't see the point of wearing it at a white coat ceremony. This is not the time to dress for prom or for clubbing.
That isn't what I was referring to.
Muslim women just typically wear midi or maxi length skirts because the "typical" mini skirts Americans wear are too revealing. I still mean work attire- but in the form of a long skirt. I was referencing something OP and I talked about in another thread ( we are both Muslim).
I meant something like this: ( these pieces are super pricey but I'm just making an example of the look I have in mind)

Skirt:https:Like this long skirt

With this top: With a nice blouse like this

A simple, work-friendly look, just with the longer, modest skirt standard for Hijab-wearing women. That's all I meant.If I make it as a med student I'll likely wear stuff like the above to clinic bc elastic waistband skirt+ cotton stretchy leggies + cotton top == max comfort and style.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

That isn't what I was referring to.
Muslim women just typically wear midi or maxi length skirts because the "typical" mini skirts Americans wear are too revealing. I still mean work attire- but in the form of a long skirt. I was referencing something OP and I talked about in another thread ( we are both Muslim).
I meant something like this: ( these pieces are super pricey but I'm just making an example of the look I have in mind)

Skirt:https:Like this long skirt

With this top: With a nice blouse like this

A simple, work-friendly look, just with the longer, modest skirt standard for Hijab-wearing women. That's all I meant.

OK. That's good. Just wasn't sure if this was going toward bridesmaids dresses.

OK. That's good. Just wasn't sure if this was going toward bridesmaids dresses.
I was actually just talking about wearing skirts to work with my mom! After reading the " dress code" thread and shopping for my own suit I've been thinking a lotttt about clothes.
While shopping for my suit pieces I tried on a blouse that had these really impractical poofed sleeves that would have made it impossible to wear under my blazer. My mom said something like " A doctor wouldn't wear that" and I told her that docs/clinical students wear skirts/dresses as business cas attire to work all the time, and that you either wear srubs in the ER/OR or nice clothes + white coat for clinic. And then we talked about how long skirts may still be a no-no because what if they make it hard to walk, etc. Funny how that just came up IRL and on here.

I was actually just talking about wearing skirts to work with my mom! After reading the " dress code" thread and shopping for my own suit I've been thinking a lotttt about clothes.
While shopping for my suit pieces I tried on a blouse that had these really impractical poofed sleeves that would have made it impossible to wear under my blazer. My mom said something like " A doctor wouldn't wear that" and I told her that docs/clinical students wear skirts/dresses as business cas attire to work all the time, and that you either wear srubs in the ER/OR or nice clothes + white coat for clinic. And then we talked about how long skirts may still be a no-no because what if they make it hard to walk, etc. Funny how that just came up IRL and on here.

Poofy or bell sleeves are really in right now and theyre not remotely practical. My toothpick arms also look ridiculous in them lol

• Love

For more ideas, this is Drexel’s.

Poofy or bell sleeves are really in right now and theyre not remotely practical. My toothpick arms also look ridiculous in them lol
IKR! I'm slowly bringing skirts back into my wardrobe and fully intend to wear those if I ever " make it". This thread has been great distraction from itnerview prep haha

IKR! I'm slowly bringing skirts back into my wardrobe and fully intend to wear those if I ever " make it". This thread has been great distraction from itnerview prep haha

It took me until med school to bring dresses back into my wardrobe. Before that it was like.. 3rd grade.

It took me until med school to bring dresses back into my wardrobe. Before that it was like.. 3rd grade.
Well, for me it was that in HS/College shorts skirts were the style and I felt strange wearing a long one, but I'm getting over that. Been eating my mom's ears off on all the skirts/ shirts I'm gonna buy. I have an old one that I bought on sale, it needs a top, I'm gonna test it out, and then buy more!!

He isnt wrong lol

Ditto! I live in the Midwest where I can only wear dresses about half the year because of the cold and gripe every October when I have to go back to wearing pants again!

Ditto! I live in the Midwest where I can only wear dresses about half the year because of the cold and gripe every October when I have to go back to wearing pants again!
Courdorot skirts and fleece-lined tights are a thing! Courdoroy is so comfy and always looks classy ( not for a suit but for work attire).

• Love
In all seriousness now (though I still think that scrubs are the most comfortable thing. Ever.) I’m going to wear a pair of black slacks, white shirt and a crimson tie - school color.

The detail on the white coat is crimson.

At my school's white coat ceremony, most women wore dresses (this was in June, after all) and most men wore suits. An interview suit would likely be fine. If you wanted to be more casual, you could wear a blazer with slacks rather than a full-on suit.

At my school's white coat ceremony, most women wore dresses (this was in June, after all) and most men wore suits. An interview suit would likely be fine. If you wanted to be more casual, you could wear a blazer with slacks rather than a full-on suit.

Do they take off the suit jacket or blazer and put on the white coat? Then the men are carrying their suit jackets out of the hall?? That seems inefficient.

Do they take off the suit jacket or blazer and put on the white coat? Then the men are carrying their suit jackets out of the hall?? That seems inefficient.
This would be a great MMI station: select articles of clothing for white coat ceremony from a bin. Points for style and efficiency, deductions for time wasted and anything with pleats. Great way to weed out folks who overthink things...

• Haha
I thought that men just walk up in a shirt, having left the jacket at their seat... but then we will see ;)
Any YouTube video like “white coat ceremony” will give some answers :)

Here. Something to look foreword to...

Last edited by a moderator:
A dress shirt (whatever that means nowadays) a tie, and either plain cotton pants from Ralph Lauren or some version of wool trousers. I didn't wear a sport coat, as it was 99 degrees, and we get a white coat while there.

That's awesome. If I ever get the chance, I will definitely do this.

Although, I'm partial to pleats on some types of trousers. I have a massive MTM/bespoke wardrobe.
This would be a great MMI station: select articles of clothing for white coat ceremony from a bin. Points for style and efficiency, deductions for time wasted and anything with pleats. Great way to weed out folks who overthink things...