What is URM ? And do i qualify

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

habiba

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that Dental schools care if you're URM
can someone explains to me what's URM ?

i consider Black/African-American
Low income
first generation to graduate from a high school and went to college in USA
And i will be a part of programs at my school who support first generation and low income until my gradation

And do i qualify ?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry for (possibly) needless reply, but I am curious as to specifications/qualifications as well. TBH, I probably do not qualify, but I am curious. At one time, a new student could practice in a URM and receive some tuition reimbursement/forgiveness. I do not know if this something that is still available. I grew up in a middle-class suburban area north of Atlanta, but I would be interested in practicing in a rural/underserved URM.

Yeah, you're an URM....congrats...you can now get straight 15's on your DAT and get an acceptance to the dental school of your choice!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, you're an URM....congrats...you can now get straight 15's on your DAT and get an acceptance to the dental school of your choice!!!!!
Someone is a little upset that they are not a URM

Reactions: 5 users
Don't hate

Reactions: 1 user
let me guess, your non URM?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
so what your trying to say is that URM applicants will more likely get below average DAT scores?

I find the whole URM thing to be a little silly. It should be based on income, not skin color. A URM from the same neighborhood and school as a non-URM should have to score just as well as the non-URM to get in. If anything, just having URM defeats the purpose of academic merit and makes the process racist.

But yes youre a URM.

Reactions: 6 users
I find the whole URM thing to be a little silly. It should be based on income, not skin color. A URM from the same neighborhood and school as a non-URM should have to score just as well as the non-URM to get in. If anything, just having URM defeats the purpose of academic merit and makes the process racist.

But yes youre a URM.

The issue with that statement is that you seem to assume that URM was developed to help 'individual' applicants. This actually isn't the case. The schools really don't care how hard or easy it is for each of us to get into dental school. Dental school is not an award for studying/working hard or even being intelligent. Maybe in a fair world it would be, but unfortunately life isn't fair, it's more a game of supply and demand. The goal is to produce a class of dentists that cater to both the community's and schools' specific 'demands'. Communities that are 'underrepresented in healthcare' are usually that way because of the vast percentage of their population that happens to be low income. The hope is that by producing more dentists of color a large amount of them will eventually go to work in communities of ppl like themselves that lack sufficient amounts of healthcare professionals, as well as also motivating others in the community to seek similar professions. Eventually leading to a more balanced healthcare system. This isn't meant to start an argument, I just wanted to explain the whole idea of URM because a lot ppl seem to have the same misguided idea that it's set out to help the 'individual.'

Reactions: 8 users
Based on UCSF website
URM are African American/Black §,American Indian/Alaska Native §,Filipino §
Hispanic §

The issue with that statement is that you seem to assume that URM was developed to help 'individual' applicants. This actually isn't the case. The schools really don't care how hard or easy it is for each of us to get into dental school. Dental school is not an award for studying/working hard or even being intelligent. Maybe in a fair world it would be, but unfortunately life isn't fair, it's more a game of supply and demand. The goal is to produce a class of dentists that cater to both the community's and schools' specific 'demands'. Communities that are 'underrepresented in healthcare' are usually that way because of the vast percentage of their population that happens to be low income. The hope is that by producing more dentists of color a large amount of them will eventually go to work in communities of ppl like themselves that lack sufficient amounts of healthcare professionals, as well as also motivating others in the community to seek similar professions. Eventually leading to a more balanced healthcare system. This isn't meant to start an argument, I just wanted to explain the whole idea of URM because a lot ppl seem to have the same misguided idea that it's set out to help the 'individual.'

YES YES YES!
What AYADOS16 said!

Based on UCSF website
URM are African American/Black §,American Indian/Alaska Native §,Filipino §
Hispanic §

Until now I don't know as middle eastern I belong to which Categories ?

Middle-easterners count as"white," from what I've read.

Last edited:
i'm a middle eastern too i'm half Egyptian, half Lebanese i was consider myself African-american as Egypt in Africa and other Asians as Lebanon suppose to be in Asia.
Now Dental school when it will interview me in the future it will be a problem as i look white. It's actually confusing i still need to call the dental schools i'm planning to aply too and take their advice about it!!

I guess a wonder bread white boy from south africa also qualifies as african american..........

If you bothered to use the search function you would know that this could blow up in your face. Everyone knows that african american means BLACK.....could wesley snipes be your daddy? Didn't think so. Stop trying to work the system b/c you know exactly what you're trying to...pretty pathetic if you ask me.