What kind of pharmacy do you work at?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dana92085

**dana adell**
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do most people work at retail pharmacies? This summer I am working at a compounding pharmacy--it is a ton of fun! I didn't really realize that there were so many different things that you can do--I thought that retail and hospital was it. :D

Members don't see this ad.

I've been working in retail (savon) and an independent community pharmacy for several years now and unfortunately its almost out of my system. Now that I'm starting pharm school I really don't know what I'm going to do with my life :eek:

dana92085 said:
Do most people work at retail pharmacies? This summer I am working at a compounding pharmacy--it is a ton of fun! I didn't really realize that there were so many different things that you can do--I thought that retail and hospital was it. :D

Dana, I was reading a website about a compounding pharmacy and it sounded pretty interesting. What exactly do you do or does the compound pharmacist do?

Members don't see this ad :)
RLK said:
What exactly do you do or does the compound pharmacist do?

That's probably in the FAQ. :p :laugh:

In response to the OP, I currently work in a pediatric hospital pharmacy, where my main job consists of working on the oncology/secondary ICU floor. I'll be moving in a couple of weeks though, and by the end of the month, I'll begin a job at an adult hospital pharmacy with twice as many beds. :eek:

dana92085 said:

Eckerd. :thumbup:

Hospital and Oncology...

Retail hell hole.

RLK said:
Dana, I was reading a website about a compounding pharmacy and it sounded pretty interesting. What exactly do you do or does the compound pharmacist do?

the pharmacist sets up all of the formulas that we use and also does a lot of the compounding in the pharmacy. a lot of them don't work the first time so we redo them. the fun thing is that i do as much compounding as he does. in our pharmacy, we also have a clean room so we do a lot of sterile injectables and that is a lot of fun.