What kind of pre-optometry extra cirricular activies would you guys advise?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samwY

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is primarly to the people who are already admitted into an optometry school.

I know it is good to shadow ODs, volunteer at optometry clinics, or work for OMDS, but how many years of volunteer work or # of ODs should I shadow to IMPRESS optometry schools that I apply for?

According to my schedule, I have about two years of pre-optometry courses and two years of time for extra work (volunteer, shadow, etc.) and I want to be prepared and impress since my GPA is not the greatest.

Any advice will be appreciated, thanks.
Sammy

Members don't see this ad.

samwY said:
This is primarly to the people who are already admitted into an optometry school.

I know it is good to shadow ODs, volunteer at optometry clinics, or work for OMDS, but how many years of volunteer work or # of ODs should I shadow to IMPRESS optometry schools that I apply for?

According to my schedule, I have about two years of pre-optometry courses and two years of time for extra work (volunteer, shadow, etc.) and I want to be prepared and impress since my GPA is not the greatest.

Any advice will be appreciated, thanks.
Sammy

I interned for an OD last summer. But! I barely spoke about that in my interviews. I mainly told them how much I enjoyed patient care and told them a couple of stories about my experiences. Dont try to "impress" anyone b/c thats cheezy and it might sound like you're bragging!! Just show your enthusiasm about optometry and why you want to further your studies; the rest will take care of itself. Strive for quality not quantity with your volunteer work/experiences. just my 2 cents

I went along with my friends and relatives to their eye appointments -- it gave me an opportunity to see a lot of different practices and talk to many ODs.