What kind of schools should I apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuantumPhsyics

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
College: Cal Poly Pomona
Residence: California
Major: Economics
Race: Indian Asian
CGPA: 3.7
SGPA: 3.83
MCAT: 512
Non-Clinical/Non Medical Hours: 250+ Hours as a volunteer at a High School Librarian
4 Years in the School's Political Science Club (easily 300 Hours
3 years I was on the Intramural Mens Competitive Basketball Team
200+ Hours volunteering for Pratham
Clinical/Medical related: 450 Combined Shadowing and Volunteer Hours (Local Hospital)
100 Hours Shadowing a Pediatrician
200 Hours shadowing a Surgeon
50 Hours as in ICU
50 Hours in Occupational Therapy
50 Hours in the Surgical Waiting Room
4 Years on the Pre-Medical Student Association
Research Internship: 300 Hours Neuronal Stem Cells

Shadowing
Life Experience: Really off track in HS, Was more determined and helping my Uncle who is a Surgeon really got me invested and I just love all the hard-work, competitiveness, and the pain of wanting to enter this field. My Hobbies were Basketball and Politics. Also about how it was amazing to be able to help contribute to my Home Country by helping setting up Schools and raising money

What Schools Should I apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

1) Spend 28$ and purchase access to msar here.

2) Then use the wedgedog rating system found here and that will help you determine which schools in each school tier you should apply to (and which specific schools are included in that category).

3) Once you figure out how many schools in each tier, use a combination of MSAR and the schools listed in the wedgedog system to find schools that fit your need. Most of the schools will be ones that have median scores similar to yours. But, you will be applying to some reach schools and some safety schools. Try to pick schools that you actually see yourself going to.

4) Remember to filter out any schools that you could never see yourself at--usually midwest states for people from the coasts (no offense). But, to each their own. Also try and apply to schools in which you fit their mission . For example, School x is very service oriented, do you have enough service in your app?. This is a minor thing though as many schools have similar missions.

5) Apply to every single California med school (cal-northstate only if you have a desperate need to stay in California and miraculously the entire management of the school changes in between applying and attending).

In the end you should have about 30 schools.

6) Post the list you made here and wait for recommendations from Goro/Faha/other very experienced member

Alternatively:

1) Wait for Goro/Faha/other to give you a list now.

College: Cal Poly Pomona
Residence: California
Major: Economics
Race: Indian Asian
CGPA: 3.7
SGPA: 3.83
MCAT: 512
Non-Clinical/Non Medical Hours: 250+ Hours as a volunteer at a High School Librarian
4 Years in the School's Political Science Club (easily 300 Hours
3 years I was on the Intramural Mens Competitive Basketball Team
200+ Hours volunteering for Pratham
Clinical/Medical related: 450 Combined Shadowing and Volunteer Hours (Local Hospital)
100 Hours Shadowing a Pediatrician
200 Hours shadowing a Surgeon
50 Hours as in ICU
50 Hours in Occupational Therapy
50 Hours in the Surgical Waiting Room
4 Years on the Pre-Medical Student Association
Research Internship: 300 Hours Neuronal Stem Cells

Shadowing
Life Experience: Really off track in HS, Was more determined and helping my Uncle who is a Surgeon really got me invested and I just love all the hard-work, competitiveness, and the pain of wanting to enter this field. My Hobbies were Basketball and Politics. Also about how it was amazing to be able to help contribute to my Home Country by helping setting up Schools and raising money

What Schools Should I apply to?
300 hours of shadowing is obscenely overdoing it and you could have better spent that time. So you have 150 hrs total volunteering with patient contact? That's OK. Volunteering in the library doesn't much for me. Show me your altruism for people less fortunate than you.

What's Pratham?

I suggest:
U VM
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Tulane
Loyola
Netter
Oakland-B
UCI
UCD
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, or LUCOM, for different reasons. Start list with AZCOM, BCOM, TUNCOM, both Westerns, Touro-CA and PacNW.

Members don't see this ad :)
300 hours of shadowing is obscenely overdoing it and you could have better spent that time. So you have 150 hrs total volunteering with patient contact? That's OK. Volunteering in the library doesn't much for me. Show me your altruism for people less fortunate than you.

What's Pratham?

I suggest:
U VM
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Tulane
Loyola
Netter
Oakland-B
UCI
UCD
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, or LUCOM, for different reasons. Start list with AZCOM, BCOM, TUNCOM, both Westerns, Touro-CA and PacNW.

Pratham is a Indian Charity that helps fund schools in poverty ridden areas in India. and Aha I just spent a summer with my Uncle just shadowing.
How do you think my chances are for UCI, UCD, Georgetown and Uniformed?

You are competitive for those schools

And would I be competitive for Darthmouth or Brown? Or NYU Med? Duke? Cornell?

I am thinking about a Gap year to add more research and hopefully a Poster or Pub, I can retake MCAT? DO you think a better MCAT would be enough along with research to get into these schools?

And would I be competitive for Darthmouth or Brown? Or NYU Med? Duke? Cornell?

I am thinking about a Gap year to add more research and hopefully a Poster or Pub, I can retake MCAT? DO you think a better MCAT would be enough along with research to get into these schools?
Not with a 512 MCAT. And it would be foolish to retake that perfectly fine MCAT

Service to others less fortunate than yourself, in this country, is what gets on peoples radar.
And get off campus and out of your comfort zone!
I Went to India, San Fran, New York, Jersey just for Pratham..
Service to others less fortunate than yourself, in this country, is what gets on peoples radar.
And get off campus and out of your comfort zone!

Thank you Man, you really helped so much. I was just curious because I would love to be able to attend those schools, but UCI and UCD are fantastic shooks and I would be grateful to study there- As for Military, I am leaning on a HPSP Scholarship so I just focus on studies and have a good Job and than 4-5 years later I can work where I want. (New York) (San Fran)