What Languages Do You Speak?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What Languages Do You Speak?

• Spanish

Votes: 33 14.0%
  • French

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Other Romance Language (Italian, Portuguese)

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other European Language

Votes: 16 6.8%
  • Arabic

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • Hindi

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Mandarin or Other Chinese Variant

Votes: 22 9.4%
  • Other Asian Language

Votes: 18 7.7%
  • African Language

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Multiple Languages Besides English (Post Below)

Votes: 53 22.6%
  • English Only

Votes: 37 15.7%

• Total voters
English (obviously) and Spanish here. I know some random Hebrew words. I've also learned the word for "pain" in about a dozen languages since starting residency. :p
French and Spanish. Learning the Spanish now.
I need to update my French skills and want to learn at least the basics of another language. No idea which one.

Members don't see this ad.

English, French, Spanish, Korean! Woot for living abroad for 5 years in different places!

Je parle Français, Español and English of course und nur ein biesen Deutsch!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Grew up speaking Deutsch as my primary language (while living in Deutschland), despite being native U.S. American. Speak enough Arabic (Iraqi/Kuwaiti/Lebanese) with regard to the specific dialects to get by. I was born while my father was studying various languages at DLI.

Reactions: 1 user
English (native), German (intermediate), Latin (beginning), and Spanish (beginner). I can understand Pennsylvania Dutch although I don't speak it; I usually reply in German or English.

I would also like to learn Russian in the future. For now, I can insult people all of the above plus Arabic. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
English off course! Fluent hebrew and spanish, and some basic italian and french

I am somewhat annoyed when people say they "used" to speak a language. I don't agree, once you learn a language you shouldn't be able to forget. Most likely you knew a few words and phrases, but never mastered it. Being fluent means being able to think and understand in that language. Maybe I have a more strict definition, but having worked as an interpreter I saw tons of amateurs who thought they were fluent but would put patient's lives in danger with inadequate and sometimes non-existent skill.

I labored hard to become fluent in Latin to help all the starving babies in latin america.

I am somewhat annoyed when people say they "used" to speak a language. I don't agree, once you learn a language you shouldn't be able to forget. Most likely you knew a few words and phrases, but never mastered it. Being fluent means being able to think and understand in that language. Maybe I have a more strict definition, but having worked as an interpreter I saw tons of amateurs who thought they were fluent but would put patient's lives in danger with inadequate and sometimes non-existent skill.

I labored hard to become fluent in Latin to help all the starving babies in latin america.

Ok, I agree with your first paragraph although fluency and mastery of a language can be on different levels. Without practice it is easy to forget vocab and syntax but it should come back easily given "right" context.
Now, I hope your last statement is sarcastic!