What math are you taking freshmen year in college?

AimeeLee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm taking a college math placement test at a CC next week. I'm taking the Level IV math test, to try to test into Calculus (I have just finished a year of pre-calculus in HS, earned an A 1st semester and a B 2nd semester). If I fail the test, I'd have to re-take pre-calculus. I know a lot of seniors who have bombed the math placement tests at their respective colleges, mainly because they forgot a lot of the basic stuff. My stepfather is really pushing me to pass this test because he's convinced himself that taking a year in college to re-take precalculus would be a huge waste of time and somehow set me back.
(Fyi I'm planning to become a dental hygienist.)
How did you do on your college math placement tests?

Members don't see this ad.

I just realized I posted this thread twice. Sorry! The first time, my computer froze, so I didn't think it went through.

This is probably the wrong section to post this thread, but I took AP Calc BC in high school so I didn't have a problem placing into Calc I.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you are going to be taking classes with calculus as a prerequisite, you don't need to worry about being held up with precalc.

Just curious what are the math requirements for the program?

I bombed my math placement test and got put into college algebra, but since I already had college credit for calc I got to override the placement.

I will be taking Calculus I in the Fall and then (most likely) Applied Stats Honors in the Spring. Then I am done with math... FOREVER! I did not have to take a placement exam, but I did sit for the AP exam. Although I did not receive enough credit to place out (teacher never took attendance, why go to class?), I am taking Calc I.

Don't stress taking a 'repeat' class for your first year. This will just solidify your understanding and most likely score you an easy A. Good luck! Check out the KhanAcademy for some review.

So, I'm taking a college math placement test at a CC next week. I'm taking the Level IV math test, to try to test into Calculus (I have just finished a year of pre-calculus in HS, earned an A 1st semester and a B 2nd semester). If I fail the test, I'd have to re-take pre-calculus. I know a lot of seniors who have bombed the math placement tests at their respective colleges, mainly because they forgot a lot of the basic stuff. My stepfather is really pushing me to pass this test because he's convinced himself that taking a year in college to re-take precalculus would be a huge waste of time and somehow set me back.

I took intermediate algebra, a class that is 3 semesters away from calculus I. To be honest, I am glad I was placed into this class because there were a few things I did NOT learn in high school that were covered in my college class. I did well in pre-calculus my senior year in HS but you will find that college classes go into the topics deeper than HS classes. I have finished all my college math classes with A's so far and I am going into calculus II this fall.

If you don't do well on your math placement test, that means you don't have the proper foundation for higher level math classes YET. It is better to start out in the class you belong in rather than a class that you will struggle in.

good luck !

Just know that med schools only require one year of math in college:
- Calc I & Stats
or
- Calc I & Calc II
... no need to go overboard in high school, unless you're considering a major that requires more math (engineering, physics, etc). Additionally, many med schools don't accept AP credit for pre-reqs, so understand that you may need to retake calc once you reach college.

I think most people on the pre-med track probably take Calc 1, pre-calc, or stats. Like Saggy said, you don't exactly need a load of math to get into med school, and I imagine that you wouldn't need any more than what he mentioned for dental hygiene school.

Last edited:
I'm a pre-med at Hopkins and I'm taking Calc II as the first-year math course. Bailed out of Calc I by using AP Calc BC credits (the AB subscore). I ought to learn vector calculus again, because it's been a while since I learned vectors, projections, etc in 9th grade :/ I'll probably be destroyed if I sign in to Calc III, but people say that I don't need really advanced math courses if I'm shooting for med school.

i failed the college level math placement test with a 27.

If you fail your placement test, don't worry. You can take the pre-calc class get an A and have a solid foundation for when you start caclulus vs. placing into calc and having trouble with the material.

I placed into calc when i entered college, but I wished I had taken a pre-calc class instead esp since I am not too good at math.

Most likely Calculus as well, proving I pass my AP exam at the end of the year, but right now I am taking AP Calculus AB not as rigid as the BC course though.

None :D I took college algebra, pre-calc, and calc 1 at a local CC last year and earned both high school and college credit for them. It was a tough year, but so worth it- I'm done with math classes forever. :)

Multivariable / Vector Calculus was the only math class I took in college. I did teach myself statistics (and it was included in the science labs), though.

Don't worry, medicine has very little to do with calculus, as a physician. As a pharmacist... start worrying.

Dam..you need Cal to be a dental hygienist?