What other EC's should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Via86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone..
I'm 24 years old and a junior. i am getting my degree in psych while taking my pre-med reqs. I currently volunteer at a hospital where I basically do rounds and interact with a lot of people especially the patients. I am a non-trad. I am married with a 2 year old son and Its very hard to find the time to study, mak it to my student clubs at school (im in 3) and volunteer in the hospital. I want to know what else can I do (EC's) to make myself "stand out" to medical schools.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If it is possible, I would recommend being involved in undergarduate research :thumbup: If you can publish a paper as one of the authors or present your findings at a poster symposium, you will be great!

There's no point in being in 3 student clubs unless you're an officer in them, and even then, 3 is too much. I'd say 2 clubs just about does it. Better spend the rest of your time in other activities: studying, volunteering, research, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it is possible, I would recommend being involved in undergarduate research :thumbup: If you can publish a paper as one of the authors or present your findings at a poster symposium, you will be great!

thats a great idea!! thanx i will look into that!:)

There's no point in being in 3 student clubs unless you're an officer in them, and even then, 3 is too much. I'd say 2 clubs just about does it. Better spend the rest of your time in other activities: studying, volunteering, research, etc.

yea i figured that already! so i'll probably just do 2. thanx for the advice!

I currently volunteer as a tutor for homeless students in Chicago. It has been a great experience interacting and getting to know the community better. Like most volunteering opportunities it doesn't require a lot of time. However, it has been something that I know I'll be able to talk passionately about in the future.

So in a nutshell my advice would be to just find something that means something to you. I think that will go way farther than x amount of clinical volunteer time that you care little about or where you get to do very little.

Everyone you apply with will have those standard EC's. So something that's unique to you will surely go much further than a ridiculous amount of clinical experience

However that is not to say that research, clinical, or shadowing is pointless. I just wouldn't worry about it as much as everyone does.

But that's just my opinion.