What schools have a good focus on Equine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Riscatto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been getting a lot of inside knowledge on the outlook for different areas in vet med and was wondering which vet schools have more of a focus on equine medicine? Does Florida have a good equine focus? I'm thinking of equine surgery and someday double boarding in sports medicine or maybe something with theriogenology. Are there jobs in theriogenology or is it more academia? Also do the chances of getting a residency in a specific field increase if you go to a school that focuses on the specific area?

Hopefully these questions make sense. My final question is given that I am only 21 I haven't had much experience yet, I was wondering how to go about finding opportunities or internships that will make me a better candidate when the time comes?

Since I found this site I have come learn that I have very little knowledge on getting into vet school, being prosperous in the field and the training needed to advance in different fields. All help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been getting a lot of inside knowledge on the outlook for different areas in vet med and was wondering which vet schools have more of a focus on equine medicine? Does Florida have a good equine focus? I'm thinking of equine surgery and someday double boarding in sports medicine or maybe something with theriogenology. Are there jobs in theriogenology or is it more academia? Also do the chances of getting a residency in a specific field increase if you go to a school that focuses on the specific area?

Hopefully these questions make sense. My final question is given that I am only 21 I haven't had much experience yet, I was wondering how to go about finding opportunities or internships that will make me a better candidate when the time comes?

Since I found this site I have come learn that I have very little knowledge on getting into vet school, being prosperous in the field and the training needed to advance in different fields. All help is appreciated.
The answers to at least some of your questions are scattered throughout threads already.

My input:
1. UF is located very close to Ocala, the 'equine capital.' Yes, they have a good equine program but I've never heard of one school being 'the best' for equine, myself. Equine is part of every school's core curriculum. You wouldn't be lacking in equine knowledge if you went to another school, in other words.
2. I don't know much about therio, but I've been told that you should expect to have extremely busy seasons, and slower seasons. I'm sure someone has more info.
3. I've actually been told the opposite-that your chances of getting a residency at your DVM school are lower. The schools like to bring in new faces for residents apparently. It doesn't mean it's impossible....one of our ER residents did her DVM here. If you're competitive, you're going to be looked at no matter what.
4. Google for internships, hunt for jobs. Use any connections you have. I found my internship by Googling "pre-veterinary internships." Make phone calls, drop into offices, send emails. Just be reasonably stubborn!

Edit: I realized I misread your residency question! You need a good CV with, preferably, some publications by the time you apply for the match. Attending a school that has an equine program (aka any school) will allow you to connect with faculty and pursue research, earn letters of rec, etc. In that aspect, your chances would be higher. I could go to the theoretical 'best equine school' and still not get an equine residency if I don't seek out ways to make myself a competitive applicant.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
CSU has the Equine Repro Labs or ERL. They have put out a ton of the research used in breeding horses and are currently working on everything from uterine environment, metritis recovery, ICSI and IVF barriers (ie what the hell? Why can't we get this to work outside the horse?), mare age and epigenetics, IUGR... umm... what other lectures did I sit thru?

And: They have all new facilities because they burnt them down and got a giant donation to rebuild. (My labs were jealous and threatened to "accidentally" leave something burning so they could get all new stuff every time our ancient equipment failed.)

Reactions: 1 user

Make sure you don't feel bad about that. I barely knew jack **** about the profession when I first came here (2009ish). I knew what I learned through Google and it wasn't much. Now I feel like I have a good idea about the state of affairs......and that I never, ever wanna go to vet school haha xD Have the deepest respect for those that go, though!