This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothy97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I know this is kind of a repetitive thread, but I am applying this cycle and wanted opinions based on my stats personally. I have a 25 AA average on DAT, with 25 total science. My GPA is a 3.837. In terms of exctracurriculars, I have been involved in a research lab for a year, am an executive board member of a very large organization on campus, and have volunteered at a variety of places related to public health disparities.

I currently live in Texas, but wanted to apply out of state as well. Not sure what schools are out of state friendly, and what would constitute as a "safety school" for me. Any opinions on people who are attending or about to attend dental school would be great!

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! With stats like those, I would only apply to schools you really want to go to/offer what you want (research/clinical/speciality/other stuff). Doc toothache attached this doc that gives you an idea for which schools take a higher percentage of out of state and their average stats (link below). You have great stats, you won't have issues getting into dental school as long as your interviews are great!
2017 Ranking of DS Based on GPA/DAT/Other

An applicant on average applies to 9-10 schools per cycle. Given that you're a competitive applicant, you may comfortably apply that number or even fewer than that.