What Schools w/ 32 and 3.8?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inflamesdjk02

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i cannot decide what range of schools i should apply to with a 32 and a 3.82 undergrad gpa (biomedical engineering major).

have three summers of research at Med. College of Ohio, Cleveland Clinic, NIH

played one year of varsity sports, president of tau beta pi, half year of volunteering at a hospital, various other avg ECs

any recos?

Members don't see this ad.

inflamesdjk02 said:
i cannot decide what range of schools i should apply to with a 32 and a 3.82 undergrad gpa (biomedical engineering major).

played one year of varsity sports, president of tau beta pi, half year of volunteering at a hospital, various other avg ECs

any recos?

No med school is totally inconceivable with those stats, but your best odds with those stats will be those schools ranked below the top fifteen or so. Apply to a range of schools you would want to attend, with a few longshots and perhaps your state school as a "safety" (to the extent such exists).

Caribbean???

Ok, that was a joke, you have good stats, read up in the MSAR and find out where your stats are competitive and apply. Or find out a geographical area you want to apply to and apply. You decide where you want to go, not us. But those are the places I would start.

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming your ECs are about average to all others applying and you cam from a good undergrad:

Stanford
Cornell
Vanderbilt
Emory
Northwestern
Mayo
Case Western
NYU
Dartmouth
AE
Oregon Health & Science
Tufts
BU
Wake Forest
Brown
Georgetown
Jefferson

Don't know what state you're in so you may want to try a few of your state schools.

rjgennarelli said:
Assuming your ECs are about average to all others applying and you cam from a good undergrad:

Stanford
Cornell
Vanderbilt
Emory
Northwestern
Mayo
Case Western
NYU
Dartmouth
AE
Oregon Health & Science
Tufts
BU
Wake Forest
Brown
Georgetown
Jefferson

Don't know what state you're in so you may want to try a few of your state schools.

:laugh: Wow, randomness how you just generated a specific list of schools like that... did you go by averages from the MSAR or something?

OP- Basically, you're pretty competitive so apply wherever you like... I personally took the geographical approach cuz I knew squat about the schools and I figured out what was important to me along the way, like curriculum and emphasis on service.

i have similar stats to the OP (though less research experience and bio major), and I was wondering how many "lower tier" (sorry, i dont know how to better define these schools) med schools should people with our stats apply to? I was thinking that I would apply to my only state school plus tulane, drexel, jefferson, and albany. Do you think it would be wise to add perhaps MCW or temple into the mix?

thanks!

inflamesdjk02 said:

any recos?

inflamesdjk02 said:

any recos?

Don't know if this will be of any use...or if you have visited it before.

http://www.premedguide.com/medfind.html

snowgirl said:
i have similar stats to the OP (though less research experience and bio major), and I was wondering how many "lower tier" (sorry, i dont know how to better define these schools) med schools should people with our stats apply to? I was thinking that I would apply to my only state school plus tulane, drexel, jefferson, and albany. Do you think it would be wise to add perhaps MCW or temple into the mix?

thanks!

Don't underestimate yourself. I had stats identical to the OP when I applied. There were too many lower tier schools on my list, and I received interviews at all of them. :laugh:

Well, you're definitely applying to the Ohio schools, right? (I'm assuming you're an OH resident)

MD public: Ohio State, Cincinnati, Medical College of Ohio, Wright State, Northeastern Ohio

MD private: Case Western, Cleveland Clinic

If I were in your shoes, I would apply to all of the public Ohio MD schools. Case is one of the most underrated schools in my opinion and with your stats you'd probably have a decent shot. If you like the Clinic's mission statement, apply there too.

And if you're interested, you also have a DO public school-- Ohio University

I'm in a similar boat- 3.83 and 31. I'm applying to a WIDE range of schools.

ur golden at any school in the nation. You need to pick what cities you wouldnt mind living in, and the rest is pretty random so you have to apply atleast to 25 schools... i applied to 40 and I never regretted the extra money or effort. I ended up at my 2nd choice, and had interviews at my other top 1 and 3 schools... but its all random.

good luck, PM if you have any Q's

thanks everyone for the input!

i'll probably be applying to all the ohio schools + about 10 out of state.

ideally i'd like to go to USUHS - actually, i would do just about anything to get in there, and then everything else is pretty much 2nd choice lumped together - the top of which is ohio state, illinois, george washington, etc.

rugirlie said:
:laugh: Wow, randomness how you just generated a specific list of schools like that... did you go by averages from the MSAR or something?

Used US News and World Report. Went down the list omitting public schools.