what sets you apart?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

junathon

wa wa
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay. This has probably be asked before, but what sets you apart from rest of the applicants? Everyone on SDN seems to have great stats, good MCAT, GPA, ECs, etc. How DOES the medical school make their decisions??? I think there are way more qualified applicants than spots.

Members don't see this ad.

You're definitely right. There are tons of qualified people out there, especially on paper. The adcoms want to select intelligent people who can think on their own, but also people who can do more than just study (kinda ironic since all you do in med school is study, right? :laugh: ) They want to see you doing things that you really like, and not things that typical med students do just to be like everyone else. So, for example, if you really are interested in research do it. If you really like community service events go ahead. I personally coordinated a mentoring program for ESL middle school students for 4 years and loved every minute of it. I didn't do any research because I tried it and it bored the hell out of me. The adcoms want to see that you are compassionate and really want to help others. I think that's one of the biggest factors. Also, they want to see you've experienced the medical field so get into a clinic or doctor's office or hospital and try to shadow, volunteer, or intern there. My interviewers really wanted to know why I thought I was qualified and why I thought I knew what I was doing in the medical field. Hope this helps

junathon said:
Okay. This has probably be asked before, but what sets you apart from rest of the applicants? Everyone on SDN seems to have great stats, good MCAT, GPA, ECs, etc. How DOES the medical school make their decisions??? I think there are way more qualified applicants than spots.

It's the interview. Sorry for the short message, I had a long one with a good explanation, but I bumped the "back" key and it disapeared when i hit the "forward" key. :mad:
In a sentance: every school where I had a rapor with one or both of my interviewers, I was accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will agree with that 100%. The interviewers play a huge role in whether you get in or not. If they really like you and you two connect, odds are in your favor you'll get in. If not, then beware. I was amazed to learn at first how important the interview really is and how at that stage of the game your scores become less so. Basically your application on paper gets you to the interview, and from that point on it's up to you to wow the person sitting across the table from you.... simple right?! :laugh:

"well.....I make a sh*tload of money, and........look at me"
Just kidding. I think interviews are sort of overrated to be honest, although at the top schools, where interviewees are generally all highly qualified, I am sure it counts for a lot.
I'd say what I think is one of the major keys to life in general--find something you enjoy doing, do it passionately, and don't give a f*ck what anybody thinks (especially medical school admissions committees).
That being said, there are obvious limits as to what you can choose to do passionately, and I need not flesh them out here.
By the way, kudos to anybody who knows what movie I lifted the quote from.

It's mostly random. I have to disagree with the comments about interviewers. My absolute worst interview was with SLU and it was my first acceptance. The Dr. interviewing me hadn't looked at my file, didn't have any questions for me, and didn't seem interested in the interview.

At Vanderbilt, I had absolutely nothing in common with my interviewer. He asked me why I wanted to go to Vandy and after I stated my reasons, he started listing off schools that I should have interviewed at which he thought would be "better matches" for me and wanted to know why I didn't apply to any of them. "Because I want to go to Vanderbilt?"

First, it's a crapshoot. Second, you have to stand out to them somehow. The interview is important, but I wouldn't place it first.

EDIT: So I would say ECs set you apart. I actually think it was a disadvantage for me to be well rounded instead of being average in most areas and OUTSTANDING in one area (ie. volunteer, research, etc., etc.)

junathon said:
I talked about my Magic & Divination and Egyptian Hieroglyphics classes that I took along with CS classes. It made for a good conversation starter at my UW interview.

Well, I'm just plain gorgeous...I think that's what did it for me ;)

patzan said:
It's mostly random...At Vanderbilt, I had absolutely nothing in common with my interviewer. He asked me why I wanted to go to Vandy and after I stated my reasons, he started listing off schools that I should have interviewed at which he thought would be "better matches" for me and wanted to know why I didn't apply to any of them. "Because I want to go to Vanderbilt?"...
Some schools have interviewers who like to put you on the line and see how you respond. Just because you didn't feel great at the end of the interview doesn't mean it wasn't a good interview. Likewise just because you felt good doen't mean it wasn't a mediocre interview. You have to look at your interview based on what others there experienced. At UVa, the school I am going to attend, someone who interviewed right before me came out talking about how she was grilled by the interviewer. Sure enough as soon as we got past the pleasantries I got the same panel of questions. He had a whole bunch of scenarios about when I'm an overworked doctor, what I was going to do when pressured to see more patients, spend less time per patient, etc. Instead of filling him full of bs about me being ready to assume the challenges of medicine, I told him I would look for a new job or join the military. He totally agreed that that was the best choice and from then on we had a nice conversation about the challenges of medicine and the nice things about UVa's program. Interviews are important, otherwise they'd just look at your transcripts, like law school.

rgporter said:
At UVa, the school I am going to attend, someone who interviewed right before me came out talking about how she was grilled by the interviewer. Sure enough as soon as we got past the pleasantries I got the same panel of questions. He had a whole bunch of scenarios about when I'm an overworked doctor, what I was going to do when pressured to see more patients, spend less time per patient, etc.

I had the exact same interviewer I think! Was he the fastest talker you have ever heard? When I got the scenario I told him I would not compromise patient care and that I was spending the necessary time with each patient. Had I spent less, I wouldn't be giving them adequate care. I said if I kept being pressured I'd quit. After that, he was very nice and just went on about Virginia and the environment (I'm from CA).

By and large, the interview is key. Why would they make you spend hundreds of dollars to fly there if it wasn't? The cases where the interviewer doesn't care is an abnormality, or at least it shouldn't be like that. Their job is to see if you can actually converse like a normal human being and to see whether you'd be good "doctor material". If you're a weirdo who can't look someone in the eye and can't come up with a reasonable response to a question, but you have a 40MCAT then you're gonna be cut

OSU ACTON said:
What about the rest of you guys, what sets you apart?

I'm really counting on this!

Besides my mediocre GPA (which doesn't set me apart in a good way), my military career will hopefully set me apart enough to compensate. I studied for the April MCAT on long cruise legs while flying. I didn't work that into my essay, but I may if it fits the secondaries.

OSU ACTON said:
I think military service is a great example of something that does set you apart from the premed crowd. It is definetly an experience that fits the question "Have you ever been in a stressful situation and how did you handle it?" I would really play that up in your secondaries. Have a professional help you work it into essays if you are having trouble.

"...ummm, let me think about it. Well, there was that stretch of six months when I was continually SHOT AT. That was a little stressful."

It may seem like a random process, but how come some people get 8 acceptances from 8 interviews etc. Some people do have things that set them apart - really high scores, really intense, interesting experiences (peace corps, extensive volunteer work, abroad experiences), or a really personable genuine demeanor that comes across in interviews. Just a guess

I am a bellydancer. :)
This came up in two interviews. I was somewhat vague about my dancing in my applications due to the perception many people have of this. Oddly enough, my only outright acceptance came from the school where the interviewer responded to my indicating what type of dance I did with - that is so fun, I have taken classes!

Not that this probably made any difference, but it is still funny.

OSU ACTON said:
Exactly! But the adcoms will never know that unless it is in your application somewhere! They aren't mind readers, they are essay readers. What service are you in Patzan?

sorry, I'm not in the military. I was just giving those who are an idea of a response to that question.