What should I do???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Obieone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
..Hello, i'm debating on what I should do?? Here are my credentials:

MCAT: 28P (9, 9, 10)
GPA: 3.77 Science: 3.58

I have many extra curriculars:
.from teaching tennis to..
Volunteering- Soup Kitchen, physical therapy, hospital
Shadowing- ER physician, Orthopedic surgeon

.However, i havent been getting any good replies. I think if I retook the MCAT, i might not do 3 points higher. I submitted my primary mid august and most of my secondaries mid sept -early october. I currently have been receving A's in all of my classes. My predicted GPA at the end of this semseter will be an overall 3.84 and science 3.62. Do you think i can reapply this upcoming application cycle and still have a shot at MD schools without retaking the MCAT if I apply super early....like primaries out by the first/second week of june and secondaries sent out by august at the latest?

Members don't see this ad.

.Do you think i can reapply this upcoming application cycle and still have a shot at MD schools without retaking the MCAT if I apply super early....like primaries out by the first/second week of june and secondaries sent out by august at the latest?

First off, how many schools did you apply to last year? One recommendation is that this time around you should increase that number significantly.

Secondly, if you do decide to not retake the MCAT, then I'm sure most admission committees would be interested in seeing what you're doing differently this year vs last year. Assuming it wasn't b/c of when you turned in your application last year, there obviously was something holding you back. I'd have a third party look over your application for some advice or suggestions. Whether it be that the personal statement needs some sprucing up to improving your clinical experiences, you'll want to show the board that you've made some changes. Hope that helps and good luck.

Agree with above.

I'd consider retaking the MCAT as well, if you think you can improve on your score.

I'd try to get as much clinical experience as you can between now and June/July.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you have at least 200 hours of patient contact time.
This can be in any form.

If you are still in school, you'll be done in May (I guess).
You could spend all of May and June prepping for the MCAT and take it in early/mid July. Given about 10 weeks @ 40 hrs/week, that's 400 hours to prep. No one wants to do this, but there is nothing else you can do in that short of a time that will increase your chances.
Maybe you get in this time without retaking, but do you want to take that chance? :luck:

First off, I think that since your MCAT is balanced, you can definitely improve if you put the time into it. If you compare this to like a 12/11/7 or something, you risk killing the 12 for a bump in the 7.

Second, are you considering ostepathy? B/c if you are, you should be golden.