What should I eat for Lunch on August 20?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Justus07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what kind of food is recommended for test taking situations like for the August MCAT. I won't be taking it on my college campus, so I'll probably have to either get a bag lunch ready or eat out. In addition to what TYPE of food, I was wondering how MUCH of food you recommend I consume (i.e. enough to have energy to finish the 2nd half but not too much to cause digestive or food coma issues).

Thanks for any feedback on this matter.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh i already have it planned out. Im having an Ensure high protein shake(you know the kind thats for old people, i love those) A granola bar, a multivitamin, 500mg Green tea extract and a blue mountain blast powerade.

Anything with high-protein that you know you can tolerate (i.e. you aren't allergic to) would be good. Try to avoid white-rice, too many simple-carbs, etc. I wouldn't recommend pizza or mexican food. Other than that just eat what you would normally eat so you know that you won't have any new reactions to it.

Justus07 said:
I was wondering what kind of food is recommended for test taking situations like for the August MCAT. I won't be taking it on my college campus, so I'll probably have to either get a bag lunch ready or eat out. In addition to what TYPE of food, I was wondering how MUCH of food you recommend I consume (i.e. enough to have energy to finish the 2nd half but not too much to cause digestive or food coma issues).

Thanks for any feedback on this matter.

eat mc donalds!!!!!! and some krispy kreme doughnouts...haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure you already know this but stay far far away from greasy foods.

Grease = food coma!

i wouldn't have a really heavy lunch - just something well balanced with enough protein and "good carbs" (ie - not white bread or processed crap). i was planning on having a 1/2 of an energy bar during each of the breaks just for that extra energy boost to keep on going. and definitely some caffeine at lunch :)

i'd recommend taking your own lunch too - i'm not writing at my own campus either and i don't want to have to deal with looking for a place to eat or waiting in lines. if you end up going to a location with few places to eat around it, you can probably bet that a lot of people writing the test may go there - not necessarily the situation you would want to be in (but that's just my own opinion, i hate being around people who may talk about an exam).

My roomate is a believer in OJ, he claims it raises exams scores. Therefore, I'm drinking OJ I need all the superstitious brownie points I can muster.

a bottle of valium. pop 'em like candy, and you'll be good to go.

seriuosly tho, avoid turkey-- makes you sweepy ~_~

gujuDoc said:
Where I took it, Kaplan and TPR provided lunch. They both provided those sandwich platters with chips and fruit and drinks.

Kaplan even had a massage therapist person out there giving massages to people during the break. It was pure awesomeness. Ok that's all. :D
Did you have to take Kaplan to get it?

gujuDoc said:
Nah, they were being generous to allow anyone to do it or get food from their table, cuz there weren't too many people and they had enough food. I actually took TPR, but got food from the Kaplan table cuz they had vegetarian food and I didn't eat meat. Plus they had fruit which was another plus.
Either way after $1500, some food and a quickie massage is the least they could do.

gujuDoc said:
Where I took it, Kaplan and TPR provided lunch. They both provided those sandwich platters with chips and fruit and drinks.

Kaplan even had a massage therapist person out there giving massages to people during the break. It was pure awesomeness. Ok that's all. :D

What the! I'm pretty sure the TPR in my area is not planning on doing that!

BrettBatchelor said:
Either way after $1500, some food and a quickie massage is the least they could do.

does the massage include a happy ending?

gujuDoc said:

haahaha that sounds like my kinda test centre, where did u take your test?

TPR did it for us......burritos and chips and salsa from Moe's drink. that night we had a party($500 bar tab) at a local campus bar.....so never say never, you bitter biotch (hehe, sorry kidding, just sounded funny).

gujuDoc said:
Agreed. It was awesomeness cuz TPR would never do something like that. :D