What should I say?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thebeyonder

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am meeting with the dean of my local dental
school and am wondering what types of
questions I should ask. Does anyone have
any suggestions? Has anyone else meet with
the dean of a school prior to applying?
If so what are some questions you asked?
Tim.

------------------
tb

Members don't see this ad.

What's the purpose of your visit?

If it's for admissions purposes -- to discuss your application, in other words -- you may want to BRIEFLY summarize your application for him and ask him in what areas he feels you're deficient. Go fix 'em up after your meeting.

If it's just to shoot the breeze and attach a name to a face (to which I would advise an application for the Class of 2006), ask him about the profession and where it's headed, ask him where his dental school is headed, and if you can, find out what's the most significant the school has done recently (RECENTLY means within the last several years so it looks as if you didn't put that much effort into finding out) and discuss that with him.

You may also want to repeatedly state your interest in the school during your meeting. Don't be obvious about it (i.e., interjecting every so often with "By the way, Dean, I really wanna come here."). Be subtle. If he mentions something he's particularly proud of in the school's curriculum, mention to him that that's one of the reasons why his dental school is your top choice.

Hope this helps.

W.

Yeah I met with the dean of admissions to one school before I interviewed there. To be honest with you it really helped. The dean I met with had an interview committee, and during my interview he stated in front of the interviewers ?he?s been here to visit us a couple of times, and really likes our school.?. And during the group tour he said ?DrDMD can you bring this group up to the 5th floor, and met me in the ortho department?. And finally at the end of the day ?we?ll see you in august son?. So I?d say this is your time to standout. Like turtleboard said don?t be too kiss a$$, lay it on just right.
As far as questions go. I?d ask about the classes/are they with med students/class size (btw at uconn they are). Ask about the schools history. Student government/clubs/volunteer projects/how they do on the boards/specialties offered there/ect. Tell him how much you liked your visit and send a card thanking him for his time.

[This message has been edited by DrDMD05 (edited 02-28-2001).]

Members don't see this ad :)
dmd,

You asked about the school's history? Really?

W.

yeah, like how old is the school. then they will say something and you take the conversation where ever it goes. they might say its 57 years old and leave it at that. but he might say "oh this school was founded in 1921 by so and so. and the ortho depart was added in blah blah blah." who knows. just something i asked about and it wound up as a 5 min conversation. like i said maybe he might just say its 57 yo. and leave it at that. and you move on. like do you have a cute daughter about 18 yo? lol jk
smile.gif

oh btw i was just striking up conversation over in the optom thread.