What should I study for anatomy??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oceanman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just bought netter's and thieme atlases for anatomy and was wondering what I should start studying/reviewing. I just finished up undergrad and have never taken anatomy before. I know the consensus on SDN is to just relax and not study. Well, I can't do that. I have 18 waking hours EVERYDAY and I don't want to spend all that time being idle. Sure, I will pursue some hobbies and enjoy my time off. So that's not a concern and it's not like I'm going to be studying hardcore.

As far as studying isn't going to make any difference....I'm fine with that. I just want to familiarize myself with the jargon and terminology, so that I'm not too shocked when classes begin. So what topics should I begin looking over? Skeletal system or??? What topics does anatomy usually start with?

Members don't see this ad.

I just bought netter's and thieme atlases for anatomy and was wondering what I should start studying/reviewing. I just finished up undergrad and have never taken anatomy before. I know the consensus on SDN is to just relax and not study. Well, I can't do that. I have 18 waking hours EVERYDAY and I don't want to spend all that time being idle. Sure, I will pursue some hobbies and enjoy my time off. So that's not a concern and it's not like I'm going to be studying hardcore.

As far as studying isn't going to make any difference....I'm fine with that. I just want to familiarize myself with the jargon and terminology, so that I'm not too shocked when classes begin. So what topics should I begin looking over? Skeletal system or??? What topics does anatomy usually start with?

All of anatomy is jargon and terminology.
Your first 1-2 slides of your very first anatomy PowerPoint might give you a basic terminology overview, things like proximal, distal, caudal, cephalad, blah blah, but they'll be jumping right into the anatomy. You'll be getting pounded so hard that terminology just becomes silly and you learn it really by the first day.

Anything you study will be a waste of time right now. There's a reason this is said so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you are going to actually study, i would say learn the major things very superficially. Learn the heart, lungs, liver, spleen, and where the big organs go, then make sure to get the major bones like the radius vs. the ulna, the tibia vs. the fibula, etc. Anything more than that is a waste of time because 1) you won't remember it come time, 2) your professors may have easier and more useful ways to memorize the material, 3) you don't have context in regards to origin, insertion, nervation, etc, and 4) you don't know what you actually need to know.

If you memorize the x muscle originates here, inserts there, and is innervated by that, you may be wasting time because putting the muscle into context of what it does, why it does it, and how it gets done is much different. you won't remember the minutia and unless you go into certain specialties, certain minutia becomes important and others become useless.

Reactions: 2 users
I had never taken anatomy ever before med school and was just as worried. You will pick it up (or fail which you wont).

I wouldnt try and read any textbook...you wont even probably do that in your anatomy class, maybe you will use Moores Clinical anatomy for the clinical correlations for your written exam.

I would use the link below if you want to help familiarize yourself with terms, have fun.

https://www.dartmouth.edu/~humananatomy/

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
If you memorize the x muscle originates here, inserts there, and is innervated by that, you may be wasting time because putting the muscle into context of what it does, why it does it, and how it gets done is much different. you won't remember the minutia and unless you go into certain specialties, certain minutia becomes important and others become useless.

Sorry to hijack this thread but i'm curious, are there any M1 courses you DO recommend studying for in advance (i.e. Biochem, Physio, Cell Bio, Microbio etc.) ? I have a couple of months before my SMP starts and i'm trying to figure out how to better spend my time.

Above advice are excellent. I'll chime in:
+ Heart anatomy
+ Brachial plexus
+ Lumbar plexus
+ Circle of Willis
+ Cranial Nerves
+ Their pathology (i.e. Erb's/Saturday Night Palsy, Wallenberg's syndrome, Bell's palsy, ASD vs VSD, etc.)

You can't go wrong with those. These info will stick with you all the way until board time. I also use this website as extra practice. I find their written quizzes are more helpful -- http://www.med.umich.edu/lrc/coursepages/m1/anatomy2010/html/courseinfo/mich_quiz_index.html

Sorry to hijack this thread but i'm curious, are there any M1 courses you DO recommend studying for in advance (i.e. Biochem, Physio, Cell Bio, Microbio etc.) ? I have a couple of months before my SMP starts and i'm trying to figure out how to better spend my time.

i wouldn't recommend it generally speaking because there is such a difference in med school biochem and undergrad biochem. the only thing i would say is that if you are a visual learner, playing around with picmonic or sketchymicro for microbiology. it is a tough subject but you need to learn it in a way that works for you, otherwise it won't make sense.

Reactions: 1 user
I never took anatomy before med school and ended up getting A's. Just work hard when it's time and you will be fine. Don't waste time trying to remember things now.

So you're asking for advice on what to study despite knowing the advice is not to study? Logically, how can you accept one and reject the other?

Also, why has no one said "anatomy of whichever sex flips your pancake" or similar??? Sheesh.

Did Netflix run out of movies? BTW Med school is not about anatomy, anymore than literature is about a dictionary.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Studying for a course that's 100% memorization is pretty stupid. Have fun in the sun, drink beer, go to sporting events, fish, get ripped for OMM. All of these are infinitely better options. Plus, you're studying on your own. You have no clue what's useless and what's high yield. For example, I probably had less than 10 insertion questions, in total, in all of M1 anatomy. Blood supply/ muscle action/ innervation is where you'll butter your bread. Even with that, you have 0 clue what's high yield

Aclund's anatomy videos cover a lot of what you'll need to know from a gross anatomy perspective. Just staring at books all day ain't gonna help you.

If you absolutely can't follow the advice others have given you on this thread that have actually gone through anatomy, I would just bone down. By that, I mean learn the bones.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

So you're asking for advice on what to study despite knowing the advice is not to study? Logically, how can you accept one and reject the other?

Also, why has no one said "anatomy of whichever sex flips your pancake" or similar??? Sheesh.
I wasn't asking if I should or should not study. I simply asked what topics do anatomy courses usually begin with, so I can look over them.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I wasn't asking if I should or should not study. I simply asked what topics do anatomy courses usually begin with, so I can look over them.

Each school handles anatomy differently, so unless you share with us where you're going, how can anything shared here be useful, especially when studying ahead of school is almost universally characterized as a waste of time.

If you want to know what topic your school's anatomy course starts with, there are probably better places to ask, like the students who go to your school.

Once you're in anatomy, I second previous recommendations about Acland's anatomy videos. Useful and unintentionally kinda creepy (you'll see when you watch them).

I thought doing an SMP was studying in advance...

You should get uworld and start doing 20 questions or so a day. Work your way up to 200.

Did some (most) of yall not read?
OP said he/she is willing to put some time for studying, whether that is 10 mins a day or 18 hrs a day.
"Advises" such as Netflix, beach, hobbies, and etc are not useful. Obviously OP knows that.
It's not a question that those who go into medical school (or any other school/fields) with prior knowledge will have easier time adjusting.
Would you vote for Trump 1 (who had nothing to do with politics) or Trump 2 (who had a position in politics or studied politics for past 20 yrs) to become the President?
Obviously, being a president is completely different compared to other positions in politics. But I'd definitely go for Trump 2. It's just an analogy, I won't vote for neither Trump in real life (BERNIE still has a slim chance.....).

All this talk about "I never took this.... blah blah balh, but did well in med school" is just n=1 (if not n=5). Sure, you might have done well, but who guarantees OP would do that same? I know plenty of people who struggled in the beginning because they didn't know the information or couldn't transition. Is it that wrong to prepare yourself for what's to come? But that is also just n=1 with p value = 2.9
Why did we go to undergrad? Why did we build resumes? All previous experiences and knowledge affect the future.

Why is it so wrong to spend some time to get to know basics of materials before starting school? I would do that and save some stress/time later in the first few blocks.

MY advice:
Learn the terminology and basic bones to start with. That is essentially the beginning of medical school. It will allow you to transition better.
Will you remember 100% of it? Nope. Will you remember 50% of it? Probably not.
But will remembering 30% of it put you in better position than someone else who had never seen it before? Probably so.
Just go through some bones (not much of nerves, arteries, veins, or lymphs because you don't need to know EVERYTHING as your professors you tell you which ones to know).

Another analogy:
If you have to clear up some land to build a house, wouldn't cutting grass and removing some giant bolder from the land before the day you actually have to build the house be useful? Even if you have turn over the land again, wouldn't it be easier if giant bolders are out of the way?

Last edited:
OP said he/she is willing to put some time for studying, whether that is 10 mins a day or 18 hrs a day.
"Advises" such as Netflix, beach, hobbies, and etc are not useful. Obviously OP knows that.
It's not a question that those who go into medical school (or any other school/fields) with prior knowledge will have easier time adjusting.
Would you vote for Trump 1 (who had nothing to do with politics) or Trump 2 (who had a position in politics or studied politics for past 20 yrs) to become the President?
Obviously, being a president is completely different compared to other positions in politics. But I'd definitely go for Trump 2. It's just an analogy, I won't vote for neither Trump in real life (BERNIE still has a slim chance.....).

All this talk about "I never took this.... blah blah balh, but did well in med school" is just n=1 (if not n=5). Sure, you might have done well, but who guarantees OP would do that same? I know plenty of people who struggled in the beginning because they didn't know the information or couldn't transition. Is it that wrong to prepare yourself for what's to come? But that is also just n=1 with p value = 2.9
Why did we go to undergrad? Why did we build resumes? All previous experiences and knowledge affect the future.

Why is it so wrong to spend some time to get to know basics of materials before starting school? I would do that and save some stress/time later in the first few blocks.

MY advice:
Learn the terminology and basic bones to start with. That is essentially the beginning of medical school. It will allow you to transition better.
But will remembering 30% of it put you in better position than someone else who had never seen it before? Probably so.
Just go through some bones (not much of nerves, arteries, veins, or lymphs because you don't need to know EVERYTHING as your professors you tell you which ones to know).

Another analogy:
If you have to clear up some land to build a house, wouldn't cutting grass and removing some giant bolder from the land before the day you actually have to build the house be useful? Even if you have turn over the land again, wouldn't it be easier if giant bolders are out of the way?

Your analogy game is strong.

MY advice:

Another analogy:

But if it takes you weeks to remove the boulder because you don't have the right tools or don't know how to go about it, is it really worth it?? Especially when right before you start building the house it only takes an hour or two because you know what you're doing with guidance.

I recommend learning how to remove boulders before throwing your back out.

If you insist on studying:
1) read chapter 1 of Gray's to get a general overview and learn the vocabulary
2) find out from your school what your class starts with and read that chapter.

But if it takes you weeks to remove the boulder because you don't have the right tools or don't know how to go about it, is it really worth it?? Especially when right before you start building the house it only takes an hour or two because you know what you're doing with guidance.

I meant "boulder".......... not bolder....
Substitute boulder with pebbles for better analogy.

Oh wow! This analogy battle gettin good!

Is nobody else concerned that OP claims to have nothing to do and they're saying they have 18 WAKING HOURS PER DAY. Why would you only want to sleep 6 hours a day if you had nothing to do?!?! Madness, people. Madness.

Is nobody else concerned that OP claims to have nothing to do and they're saying they have 18 WAKING HOURS PER DAY. Why would you only want to sleep 6 hours a day if you had nothing to do?!?! Madness, people. Madness.

ACTUALLY... keep that routine up so you can maintain in through medical school. Many people have difficulty waking up early or not getting enough sleep due to being accustomed to sleeping more hours.

ACTUALLY... keep that routine up so you can maintain in through medical school. Many people have difficulty waking up early or not getting enough sleep due to being accustomed to sleeping more hours.
You can sleep 10 hrs a day if you want to during the first two years.

That's solid advice, butttttt...... I will be sleeping as much as I can, as often as I can until school starts :sleep:

Same. I sleep 8 hours a day.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
Yes... because my point was if you sleep anymore than 6 hrs, you won't succeed in medical school... Yea, that was my point.
If you want to succeed, sleep less.

:troll:

That's solid advice, butttttt...... I will be sleeping as much as I can, as often as I can until school starts :sleep:

This is a wise decision. No sarcasm (you're not the troll).

Seriously though-- on the original question-- if anybody is planning on pre-studying anatomy, at least go on your class Facebook group (or be a super-over-achiever and ask your school) what chapters you start with. Read Chapter 1 of Gray's to get familiarity, and then read the next one you're supposed to know. It would be a shame to "learn the bones" (which overall are kind of low yield to be honest) only to find out you won't be going over the lower extremity until December. I don't think it'll be super helpful and I still recommend sleep and/or Netflix and/or adventures, but it might make you a little less lost during week one.

:troll:

This is a wise decision. No sarcasm (you're not the troll).

Seriously though-- on the original question-- if anybody is planning on pre-studying anatomy, at least go on your class Facebook group (or be a super-over-achiever and ask your school) what chapters you start with. Read Chapter 1 of Gray's to get familiarity, and then read the next one you're supposed to know. It would be a shame to "learn the bones" (which overall are kind of low yield to be honest) only to find out you won't be going over the lower extremity until December. I don't think it'll be super helpful and I still recommend sleep and/or Netflix and/or adventures, but it might make you a little less lost during week one.

Kind of low yield ha?
At least for my school, I took a practical on block 1 that was all on bones.
Overall it is low yield? Not low but at max medium. However, they do come back again and again.
Also, the point of studying before school starts is for easier transition and easier time in the beginning, not using those information to ace exam several months into medical school.

Got ya covered -- remember, 1 heart, 2 lungs, air goes in and out, blood goes round and round -- all you need to know --

Well, you gotta know the bones i.e. the toe bone's connected to the foot bone et al. Very important. It also helps to know the male from the female.

Reactions: 3 users
Well, you gotta know the bones i.e. the toe bone's connected to the foot bone et al. Very important. It also helps to know the male from the female.
But how could one possibly tell to which sex a person belongs? All this anatomy is so confusing.

Kind of low yield ha?
At least for my school, I took a practical on block 1 that was all on bones.
Overall it is low yield? Not low but at max medium. However, they do come back again and again.
Also, the point of studying before school starts is for easier transition and easier time in the beginning, not using those information to ace exam several months into medical school.

You had a practical on bones? Wtf? That's like undergrad level anatomy. What a waste. Our bone questions were randomly sprinkled throughout each and we had maybe 1-2 question per 30-40+ question practicals.

Pretty sure the post you're quoting was joke. We really do need a sarcasm font on here...
Whoops. I don't feel like digging through to find the post I quoted in the first place but my apologies!

You had a practical on bones? Wtf? That's like undergrad level anatomy. What a waste. Our bone questions were randomly sprinkled throughout each and we had maybe 1-2 question per 30-40+ question practicals.

Agreed-- which is why I said focusing a summer on bones would be low yield, and bones are low yield in general. Plus, if you take it to the next step and try to learn the landmarks on bones (trochanteric fossa, acromion, surgical neck vs anatomic neck of humerus, etc) it's pretty hard to memorize without the context of muscles that attach or clinical context that makes them important.

But how could one possibly tell to which sex a person belongs? All this anatomy is so confusing.
Not sure if serious or sarcasm, but if serious-- the female pelvis is shaped differently than the male pelvis, for reasons you can probably imagine pretty easily. There are other differences but they're less universal.

Our first practical was on bones as well haha

Don't study anything for WesternU anatomy until you start school. It's all based on the slides. Learning netter's will be useless. It's all about getting into the mind of these professors and see what structures they enjoy the most and those will be tested along with some pseudo-clinical scenario these PhDs come up with. Don't waste your time with BRS anatomy either. You'll get yourself accustomed to a style of question that is not used by them.

Try buying Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy. The teachers basically plagiarize the book because they are that lazy.

Not sure if serious or sarcasm, but if serious-- the female pelvis is shaped differently than the male pelvis, for reasons you can probably imagine pretty easily. There are other differences but they're less universal.

Yeah sarcasm haha. Thanks for trying to help anyway though!

You sound like an MD.

Agreed-- which is why I said focusing a summer on bones would be low yield, and bones are low yield in general. Plus, if you take it to the next step and try to learn the landmarks on bones (trochanteric fossa, acromion, surgical neck vs anatomic neck of humerus, etc) it's pretty hard to memorize without the context of muscles that attach or clinical context th...

Agree here. A bone anatomy practical isn't necessarily easy. It isn't just humerus, femur, etc.

MY advice:

Another analogy:
Our professors expected us to know everything- there was no structure, grove, crevice, triangle, or curvature that was not fair game. Anatomy varies highly between schools.