what should we expect after friday?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i matched! congrats to everyone else who did, and for those in the scramble good luck and i'm hoping the best for you. i guess the title speaks for itself; after we found out where we matched on friday, what should we expect next? i guess this is more site specific, but should we expect a contract in the mail and schedules for the introductory weeks, things along these lines?

Members don't see this ad.

1720257-duck_sauce_charlie_sheen_spinstyles_bi_winning_edit_super.jpg

I'm GTFOing of the country and backpacking Europe. They can mail me whatever they want, I ain't checkin that nonsense until June.

Probably you have some mandatory paperwork to start work (like state license, VA paperwork, fingerprinting). You might want to make sure you take care of that before you stop checking your mail/email. These things have to be done months in advance. Otherwise you might find out in June you can't start work.

Probably you have some mandatory paperwork to start work (like state license, VA paperwork, fingerprinting). You might want to make sure you take care of that before you stop checking your mail/email. These things have to be done months in advance. Otherwise you might find out in June you can't start work.

Crap...I have already booked tix for end of March. I hope any documentation is sent out soon after Friday so I can have it mailed back in before I leave. Any insights?

Crap...I have already booked tix for end of March. I hope any documentation is sent out soon after Friday so I can have it mailed back in before I leave. Any insights?

You'll be fine. You'll hardly be the only one so they will be at least a little flexible.

You'll be fine. You'll hardly be the only one so they will be at least a little flexible.

There is an amazing amount of administrative work that has to be done for a new resident personnel appointment with limited potential for flexibility. Contract, training license application, insurance, health screening, and W-4 all have early deadlines (ranging from April 1 for the training license to April 30th for the health screen documentation).

For anyone planning an extended trip without access to internet and/or postal service, I urge you to contact your new coordinator as soon as you get your Match results. It will be important to develop an action plan and prioritize the paperwork. Some things, like direct deposit or privacy training can probably be done when you get back, but certain items, such as lack of licensure or health screen clearance, will undoubtedly keep you sidelined, and that would make for a bad beginning.

Should we wait for the Program Director to contact us first? Will they? How long should we wait before making contact without sounding naggy?

Should we wait for the Program Director to contact us first? Will they? How long should we wait before making contact without sounding naggy?

I'm making a phone call on Friday afternoon to the program coordinator to see what they want to do next to get things rolling. After all, that is the coordinator's job. They should be happy to hear from their newly matched residents. If they're not, too bad, I'm calling anyway. =)

I'm making a phone call on Friday afternoon to the program coordinator to see what they want to do next to get things rolling. After all, that is the coordinator's job. They should be happy to hear from their newly matched residents. If they're not, too bad, I'm calling anyway. =)

Your new coordinator will be delighted to hear from you any time after 1 pm on Friday. I used to call my new interns but often felt like I was interupting their celebration so switched to a nice Welcome Aboard email instead.

I used to call my new interns but often felt like I was interupting their celebration so switched to a nice Welcome Aboard email instead.

That's a great idea. I don't want my new program to hear all the noise from the bar we'll be at or talk to me after I start drinking. Not really the greatest impression even if it they are expecting the celebrating

Your new coordinator will be delighted to hear from you any time after 1 pm on Friday. I used to call my new interns but often felt like I was interupting their celebration so switched to a nice Welcome Aboard email instead.

I agree this is probably best! It definitely puts us at ease getting some correspondence from the program, and we won't bug you guys with calls, missed calls, questions that are probably asked 10000 times, etc. :)

Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely give the PC a call on Friday afternoon to let them know.

There is an amazing amount of administrative work that has to be done for a new resident personnel appointment with limited potential for flexibility. Contract, training license application, insurance, health screening, and W-4 all have early deadlines (ranging from April 1 for the training license to April 30th for the health screen documentation).

For anyone planning an extended trip without access to internet and/or postal service, I urge you to contact your new coordinator as soon as you get your Match results. It will be important to develop an action plan and prioritize the paperwork. Some things, like direct deposit or privacy training can probably be done when you get back, but certain items, such as lack of licensure or health screen clearance, will undoubtedly keep you sidelined, and that would make for a bad beginning.

I just want to "Like" JohnnyDrama's post and say that I will be participating in the booze as well... Once in residency, it will be alot harder to do...

Wrong. Once in residency it will be even more necessary.

And drink super mega hot sauce and puke all over the PD's desk... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I love the comic on your avatar, the Bob's are great.

The contract and other documentation gets mailed? I think I'll stay in US a bit longer then.

The contract and other documentation gets mailed? I think I'll stay in US a bit longer then.

It's program dependent. Until this year I sent a huge packet out which needed to be returned with original sigatures, notarized forms, and copies of social security cards and drivers licenses. This year my institution has moved toward having the majority items on a secure personnel site that will utilize electronic signatures. Still, some very important items can't be done that way--such as the training license aplication and health screen. So it will be a combination effort for me, and I'll make sure the incoming interns know they can call me when they are ready to complete the electronic portion if they have any questions.

Just let your new coordinator know your travel plans so that all the necessary deadlines are met. Then go and have fun!

You definitely need to find out exactly what your program requires. State licensing and credentialing can be a huge pain, and if you don't get the paperwork done, you don't start residency on time.

It's program dependent. Until this year I sent a huge packet out which needed to be returned with original sigatures, notarized forms, and copies of social security cards and drivers licenses. This year my institution has moved toward having the majority items on a secure personnel site that will utilize electronic signatures. Still, some very important items can't be done that way--such as the training license aplication and health screen. So it will be a combination effort for me, and I'll make sure the incoming interns know they can call me when they are ready to complete the electronic portion if they have any questions.

Just let your new coordinator know your travel plans so that all the necessary deadlines are met. Then go and have fun!

What does the health screen entail? Is it just a record of all our immunizations (+ PPD)?

Drug testing for a lot of programs. Sometimes a quick physical. And updates immunizations, ppd.

I get the drug testing and immunizations/PPD since it's a question of safety for the patient, but the physical I find inappropriate. What business is it of their's?

I get the drug testing and immunizations/PPD since it's a question of safety for the patient, but the physical I find inappropriate. What business is it of their's?

We all just became very curious about what it is you've got to hide.

Thank you for choosing a title that speaks for itself.

I had an ADHD graduate school adviser, and learned to make very specific subject lines in emails, like headlines in a newspaper.

It's such a time saver and so respectful of other people.

Thank you!

i matched! congrats to everyone else who did, and for those in the scramble good luck and i'm hoping the best for you. i guess the title speaks for itself; after we found out where we matched on friday, what should we expect next? i guess this is more site specific, but should we expect a contract in the mail and schedules for the introductory weeks, things along these lines?

We all just became very curious about what it is you've got to hide.

Oh, nothing. Healthy as a horse. But, a forced physical exam makes me cringe just as much as those forced mental evaluations that you hear people are subjected to at some malignant programs as a way to get rid of residents.

I mean, if they do find something wrong (heart murmur, bad liver, etc.) in one of their interns, then what? Are they disqualified from the program? This seems highly unethical. Thus, if nothing comes of this information, what's the point of a physical in the first place?

I mean, if they do find something wrong (heart murmur, bad liver, etc.) in one of their interns, then what? Are they disqualified from the program? This seems highly unethical. Thus, if nothing comes of this information, what's the point of a physical in the first place?

two reasons for the physical I suspect. First, you are going to be offered insurance through the program, and second, it's considered bad form for a hospital if their doctors drop dead running to Codes. I doubt they are looking to get rid of you before the first day, and it's usually the hospital/health system seeking the info, not you program that seeks this info. But is there a risk management component to it? Possibly.

Oh, nothing. Healthy as a horse. But, a forced physical exam makes me cringe just as much as those forced mental evaluations that you hear people are subjected to at some malignant programs as a way to get rid of residents.

At my program (and I would suppose most others), the info goes directly to occupational health and the PD/PC never see them. It's a patient safety issue to make sure all of your immunizations are up to date, but it's also personal health information, so only the people in OH have "need to know" access.

But residents can't work until they give the "all clear"--so it's important that the forms be completed and returned in a timely manner.

Do we just wait till we get a call or package in the mail or do we have to call in first?

My program director called at about 1:15 to congratulate me and said they'd be mailing some stuff out on Monday with additional info and some paperwork to sign and it would include information about everything that needs to be done before we start. I assume most programs will be similar.

My program director called at about 1:15 to congratulate me and said they'd be mailing some stuff out on Monday with additional info and some paperwork to sign and it would include information about everything that needs to be done before we start. I assume most programs will be similar.

Glad you made this post, I was curious. I have not had any news so far from my program. Given that I have a gap year, I wonder if I won't get any paperwork until next year for my advanced position? Anyone know/care to comment?

Mum's the word from my program too. I assume everything I need is en route via mail, but a phone call or email woulda been nice...

I had already received a phone call (couple times actually) from my PD and the Program Coordinator as well.

I got a call from one of my future chiefs today. And she said they'll be mailing all the paperwork early next week. I am dying to know who my co-interns are though :)

I got three emails from my program including one general welcome, one from the chiefs, and one from the program coordinator with information about paperwork and schedules and orientation. It also including the names of my co-interns which was nice.

Do some (or most or all) programs offer a sign on bonus?

I'd love to get a list of co-interns, as well as additional info. I guess my program is going to mail it all instead of email.

My program offers $2000 up front 2 weeks before you start to help with moving, etc, but that comes out of your salary...Just $40 less per week for the first year.

Not exactly a sign on bonus, but my PD said we'll get a 'moving allowance' of 5K added to our first paycheck in July...much appreciated!

One of the DO programs I interviewed with gave a signing bonus of $3000 to primary care specialties (they included IM, FM, and OB/GYN), payable after advancement to PGY-2 year.

Hmmm thanks for letting me know of the process.

Just got the email with the mountain of paperwork to be filled out this morning. All due by 4/15.