What sort of hobbies do you psych students have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

ClinPsycMasters

Gotta love my phrasing of it. :laugh:

Anyhow, psych is hard work and on top of that, being a caring profession, burnouts are common.

What do you do to relieve stress? It must be something that you do consistently--and how you stay motivated enough to do it? Exercise, play a musical instrument, or something more passive like watch TV or take a hot bath?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching tv can be a very active experience....just observe any hardcore sports fan. I took the day off to watch the World Cup (USA has a chance to win their group and move to the knockout round), and I'll be yelling at the tv and meeting new friends who yell at the tv too. ;)

I took the day off to watch the World Cup (USA has a chance to win their group and move to the knockout round), and I'll be yelling at the tv and meeting new friends who yell at the tv too. ;)

Me too...except for the meeting new friends part. I am at home yelling at the tv, hoping I'm not alienating neighbors. I've become obsessed with soccer this past year and find it's a great passtime during grad school. I watch the EPL, La Liga, and Serie A matches on Saturday mornings.

Members don't see this ad :)
You must be having a pretty good day today! No matter how many points the refs took away, USA still made it through the round. And I can't tell you how excited I am that Kansas City has an MLS team so I'll be able to see Real play once a season.

Did you get tickets for the ManU v. KC Wizards match on July 25th? I met a bunch of their staffers while out and about watching WC games.

i love reading, though since school started I veer more towards shorter reads, like novellas, short stories, poetry, and recipes. and i love cooking! if i don't have the time/money to travel right now, i can at least cook a world of dishes.

i love reading, though since school started I veer more towards shorter reads, like novellas, short stories, poetry, and recipes. and i love cooking! if i don't have the time/money to travel right now, i can at least cook a world of dishes.

I do gardening, music, oil painting (pictures not walls or houses), creative writing, travel and cooking unusual and exotic stuff like thai food, indian curries etc ... I also hang with my golden retriever child/dog.

My wife and I like to take professional dance classes togther. So far we have mastered ballroom and salsa....:laugh: We also are love doing law and order marathons on the couch and are really into The Office, Breaking Bad, and Madmen.

I enjoy, running, coaching lacrosse, and being a part our church's summer festival and fundraising committee.

For the soccer fans on the forum, I'm curious to know what teams you support. For me...

World Cup: USA :clap:
MLS: The New England Revolution
EPL: West Ham United
La Liga: Barcelona
Serie A: AC Milan

Members don't see this ad :)

I love poetry. I can't read fiction anymore though. I used to love it but now anything unrelated to psychology, "feels" like a waste of time. :(

I do gardening, music, oil painting (pictures not walls or houses), creative writing, travel and cooking unusual and exotic stuff like thai food, indian curries etc ... I also hang with my golden retriever child/dog.

wow, creative writing, that's great. I love that too. Pets can be wonderful too. I won't get one till I can make sure that I can take care of them really well. I love cats and little dogs. But I don't want to get a pet and then treat it like an object, or like a possession. I know of people who mistreat their animals.

My wife and I like to take professional dance classes togther. So far we have mastered ballroom and salsa....:laugh: We also are love doing law and order marathons on the couch and are really into The Office, Breaking Bad, and Madmen.

I enjoy, running, coaching lacrosse, and being a part our church's summer festival and fundraising committee.

I love The Office! I used to go jogging but now I'm overweight so I walk. Dancing is good...I was really into DWTS when it was on TV. I prefer watching dancing on TV rather than doing it...less work for me.:laugh:

For the soccer fans on the forum, I'm curious to know what teams you support. For me...

World Cup: Ditto...go RWB!
MLS: hard for me to get into it but I think it's improving.
EPL: Arsenal
La Liga: Madrid
Serie A: no horse in that race.

As a general answer to this thread: I do lots of physical things...exercise, weights, sports keep me sane. Can't stand the typical (or cliche at leadt ) nerd who becomes a therapist. I think you've got to be an interesting and well-rounded person first or all the training in the world won't make you a good (or sought after) therapist.

Can't stand the typical (or cliche at leadt ) nerd who becomes a therapist. I think you've got to be an interesting and well-rounded person first or all the training in the world won't make you a good (or sought after) therapist.

That's strange, I hadn't heard of that before. There is the nerd microbiologist, the nerd computer guy, but nerd therapist? :eek:

Anything that exercises my creative soul. Painting, photography, writing, theatre, just to name a few. Sometimes I really have to step outside the world of psychology and go on little adventures... like a quest for the best Thai food. :) When it comes to fitness, martial arts helps me a lot with stress relief and mind and body connection. Of course, Wii boxing and sword fighting also does the trick. :D

Photography, various club/sports leagues, and golf.

World Cup: USA...though the Argentinian storyline w/ Maradona has been great to follow.
MLS: Seattle Sounders FC (mostly b/c their ownership is very fan friendly)
EPL: Liverpool (started as "anyone but ManU")
La Liga: Real Madrid (gorgeous soccer)
Serie A: AC Milan (I've seen them play the most, so I defaulted to them)

I am a little more unusual than most. I like most need a break from the excessive intellectual pursuits, so I used to pursue more mechanical hobbies. Being in the military means that I can't take as many heavy tools as I used to, so I had to downsize from building cars and motorcycles to go fast.

So what do I build now... Firearms. Totally non-intellectual... but wholly satisfying.

dscn0993f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my favorite TV shows is the 'Big Bang Theory.' It has some psych humor every now and then.

I also enjoy road biking. Just got my bike fixed today so I'll probably go out tomorrow! These are just a few for me.

Ok, ok, my ecenetric hobby of sorts is shaving...Yes, Shaving.

I collect old safety razors (buy off ebay and restore them if they are all rusty or yuky) and also collect straight razors. I also have a growing collection of badger brushes, with Rooney's best badger being among my favs. There is just something very relaxing about taking ones time and actually using skill to shave, rather than being a mass conformer to these 5-bladed monsters they keep cranking-out these days. My current shaving line-up alternates between my 1959 Gillette "fatboy" and a nice extra hollow ground Kron Punkt straight that just came in the mail last week....:laugh:

I collect old safety razors (buy off ebay and restore them if they are all rusty or yuky) and also collect straight razors. I also have a growing collection of badger brushes, with Rooney's best badger being among my favs. There is just something very relaxing about taking ones time and actually using skill to shave, rather than being a mass conformer to these 5-bladed monsters they keep cranking-out these days. My current shaving line-up alternates between my 1959 Gillette "fatboy" and a nice extra hollow ground Kron Punkt straight that just came in the mail last week....:laugh:

Do you use them? If yes, have you been tested for hepatitis?

Six or seven years ago I did some research into a good "starter" blade, but I never got around to actually buying one. I did buy some other fun shaving accessories, with a badger brush being my favorite. I've experimented with hot foams, shaving oils, etc....and I've come back to my Keihl's products. Top notch.

Do you use them? If yes, have you been tested for hepatitis?

That was in reference to the actual shaver apparatus on the old single blade safety models... obviously I use my own new blades in them. I haven't restored any straights... I do know people that restore straights with waterstones and hides...i assume disinfecting with various agents is part of the process..

Last edited:
Six or seven years ago I did some research into a good "starter" blade, but I never got around to actually buying one. I did buy some other fun shaving accessories, with a badger brush being my favorite. I've experimented with hot foams, shaving oils, etc....and I've come back to my Keihl's products. Top notch.

Disclaimer: T4C sits on Keihl's advisory board. He also gets paid upwards of $10,000 per "talk", all sponsored by the good folks at Keihl.

Just thought you guys should know.:laugh:

Disclaimer: T4C sits on Keihl's advisory board. He also gets paid upwards of $10,000 per "talk", all sponsored by the good folks at Keihl.

Just thought you guys should know.:laugh:

:laugh:

I wish! In my prior career I blew a significant amount of money on "products", and if I was on their board I could have put that money towards other important things like vintage cuff links.

Everyone is different, but in my experience, preshave oil does little more than gunk up the razor. However, my wife loves using preshave oil on her legs:D

I am a big fan of adding liquid glycerin when whipping up a nice lather with my brush. Very slippery and good for the skin too...

I would encourage you to get into straight razor shaving, although I would recommend starting with old fashion single blade safeties so you can unlearn years of bad (and lazy) shaving habits and come to appreciate having to manually maneuver a sharp blade around hard to reach areas of your face (these don't pivot for you..haha.). Its a skill that is fun to learn and master. Moreover, it takes concentration and patience, therefore I find it to be therapeutic, almost meditative. Although you'll no doubt get some good weepers while learning, its really a myth that you could slice yourself open somethin fierce. You'd really have to be looking to hurt yourself in order for that to happen.

Last edited:
I love oil painting.

I also enjoy weight lifting- it really helps when I'm stressed or frustrated.

Sometimes I play the piano. I took lessons for 6 years but now I just do it occasionally.

My latest thing has been making jewelry. I got this huge butterfly pendant from a craft store and attached it to a belly button ring. It looks completely gaudy and ridiculous, but I like it.

Mark - that's awesome; full guns from scratch or following a guide?

As for me... I box and do home chemistry (very amateurish). Odd mix I guess!

I make a thread and forget to talk about my own hobbies and my way of relieving stress....ah yes, the forgetful me.

I do some deep breathing/stretching, go for a walk (or treadmill), treat myself to some of my favorite food (e.g. pizza, lasagna), take a hot bath (surrounded by candles while drinking juice/soda with ice shavings...no alcohol for me), watch TV (e.g. Frasier, The Office, Big Bang Theory, but also NHL, NBA...), browse the net (downloading pics/vids of my favorite celebs mostly), read interesting nonfiction (still can't get into fiction...feels like such a waste of time for some reason), and let's not forget creative writing and poetry (which I love but almost never do because my passion quickly stifled by perfectionism).

I have an acoustic guitar but I don't know how to play. My excuse is that I'm not good with my hands. I visit some gaming sites online too but not often. I love photography (have an older SLR) and akin to poetry, I rarely take it up.

I like to learn new hobbies.

I've started to get into crocheting (I've officially turned into my grandmother :)) and I LOVE LOVE LOVE to cook.

So what do I build now... Firearms. Totally non-intellectual... but wholly satisfying.

Awesome.

I couldn't begin to think about making one, though I'd be curious to pick your brain about your process. Did you use a kit or do everything custom? Have you assembled a working model yet? And most important...did you name it? ;) I don't want to get this too off topic, so feel free to PM me, as the "pro-gun" demographic usually isn't flush with psychologists and this isn't exactly a clinically relevant discussion. :D I'm hoping to find time to join a range this fall/winter, as it will give me something to do when it is snowing out.

Oh man.. soccer fans... Yes!

World Cup: USA and Mexico second since the folks were both born there. It would be a very awesome final if that were to happen.

MLS: got to go with my Houston Dynamo. I played drums for their band the first two seasons they were in town before moving to DC.
EPL: Don't follow EPL as much as Mexican soccer or La Liga, but will be following Bolton (b/c of Stuart Holden) and ManU b/c of Javier Hernandez
La Liga: Depo
Seria A: Juventus (only b/c I think Buffon is one of the top goalies in the world, but not a fan of Italian soccer).

Mexican Primera Division: Santos Laguna.. folks are from around there.

I'll have to pick your brain about this. I just got the Merkur 34C and started using it 2 weeks ago. So far things are good. I agree that the experience of shaving is very therapeutic. I also bought a sample pack of blades and the researcher in me led me to create a file to catalog my experience with each blade to see what I might like about each blade and how it shaves my face in combination with other factors (brush used-I have one and looking for a second(thoughts?)-, shaving cream, etc).

To the OP. I do photography. I picked it up when I first moved to DC and go out somewhere as regularly as I can. DC is a great place to take pictures and not just b/c of the monuments. I've been told that I'm good and told I should sell them. I even bought a kit to mat the pictures I get printed but I find the printing and selling of pictures is stressful, completely defeating the purpose of why I take pictures in the first place.

The one thing I used to when I lived in Texas was BBQ to my hearts content. I like to tell myself that I'm pretty awesome at it and would rather cook on a grill (charcoal and wood of course), than cook inside. I like to experiment with various sauces for my rubs (no time to make my own). I haven't been able to do that in my apartment in DC so I'm looking forward to my condo in Kansas City where I can finally grill.

Last time I was in Texas I grilled watermelon and pineapple... let me say. Grilled fruit is amazing. :)

On this whole nerdish thing. Doesn't being a soccer fan in the United States almost immediately qualify one for the appellation "nerd" in precisely the same way that "doctoral student" does! As far as firearms goes, I've always wanted to have an antque firearm or reproduction like a Ferguson flintlock rifle. There is something about things that go BOOM that makes nerds get all tingly inside :laugh: I say this as a proud middle aged nerd!

Did you get tickets for the ManU v. KC Wizards match on July 25th? I met a bunch of their staffers while out and about watching WC games.

I will also be moving out to KC after the ManU game but if I get lucky, someone in my family will fly me down to Houston and get me tickets to the MLS All-Star game (ManU vs MLS All-Stars) as a good luck in grad school present. :) Wishful thinking really.

I've started to get into crocheting (I've officially turned into my grandmother :)) and I LOVE LOVE LOVE to cook.

Crocheters unite!

I'm totally into my old lady crafts. And regular crafts. And doing crafts in front of the TV, where I have DVR'ed all my shows.

Awesome.

I couldn't begin to think about making one, though I'd be curious to pick your brain about your process. Did you use a kit or do everything custom? Have you assembled a working model yet? And most important...did you name it? ;) I don't want to get this too off topic, so feel free to PM me, as the "pro-gun" demographic usually isn't flush with psychologists and this isn't exactly a clinically relevant discussion. :D I'm hoping to find time to join a range this fall/winter, as it will give me something to do when it is snowing out.

Mark - that's awesome; full guns from scratch or following a guide?

As for me... I box and do home chemistry (very amateurish). Odd mix I guess!

I will PM the both of you.

On this whole nerdish thing. Doesn't being a soccer fan in the United States almost immediately qualify one for the appellation "nerd" in precisely the same way that "doctoral student" does!

I think "hipster" may be more accurate than "nerd."

I casually play World of Warcraft, I play the ukulele, play and train my dogs (that behavioral stuff comes in handy!), and I do open water swimming if the weather is nice.

Are those strange enough to be considered what psych students do? :laugh:

My hobbies? I don't have time for many between my husband, 3 children and internship.

I guess I like to listen to music, cook, and hang out with my friends and chat over coffee.

Exciting huh?:D

oh yeah-- I like to play doodle jump on my iphone...it's rather addictive.

I play and train my dogs (that behavioral stuff comes in handy!)

Haha.. that reminds me, I purchased a russian dwarf hamster with the intention of building a skinner box and testing classical conditioning. I was too busy with classes though, and now I think he's probably too old to learn anything. Oh well, now I have a cute pet :)

My main hobby is indoor rock climbing. I have also been getting into jogging/running and ab exercises.

I also like to watch movies. I doubt there will be much time for reading, but I love that, too.

I have wanted to get into knitting or crocheting, as well, and I should probably learn how to cook :)

Crocheters unite!

I'm totally into my old lady crafts. And regular crafts. And doing crafts in front of the TV, where I have DVR'ed all my shows.

Definitely! I love AC Moore and other craft stores! It's so relaxing! :):)

My undergrad I double majored in art-I mostly do acrylic painting (also paint walls), Shibori fabric dyeing, and felt-making. I also read fiction-everyday-now on my Nook ereader, which I LOVE. Anything to do with cooking/baking and food, I've baked three cakes this week alone and like to hunt down specialty foods online. I like to take naps with my two dogs and spend time with my family and friends. I am just starting grad school in the fall and hope to schedule regular time for physical activity-it's the best way to get out of my head...but I am really good at staying unmotivated when it comes to exercise. TV-I like football and hockey, any true murder mysteries, Top Chef, and I am a long-time Survivor fan. I also like good beer and the sound of my own voice-lol.

Going broke, getting drunk and fighting with my friends...

and singing the blues. :cool:

that's stressful enough that you need hobbies to cope with that! ;)

I begged my boss for a break so I could cool off at Portland's Waterfront Blues Festival this week, but no sir :uhno:

Looks like I'll be singing the working man's blues, instead. :cry: