What The F*&%?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kbrown

chicken
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So say that you are a 4th year med student, who lives in the same town as their new residency program (i.e., you matched at your home institution). Let's just say that a resident from that program pages you one night (when you aren't even on that rotation, or any rotation for that matter). Their request: "so we (all the residents) have this thing that we have to go to twice a year, could you (4th year med student) come in and cover my shift?"

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Just for clarification this is not me, this is a classmate of mine. For those who are skeptical I currently live in a state different from the one in which I will be training, so obviously not me. Anyhow, this person will be going into a field that requires the delivering of babies, etc., and was asked to "RUN the L&D floor" while these residents were off doing whatever they have to do. This is seriously the most obsurb, unethical, bull**** thing that I have ever heard.

Please tell me if you have ever heard of something like this?

Members don't see this ad.

i am sure (since as a medical student he/she cannot even legally sign orders) that this was some sort of joke/hazing that maybe the OP took seriously but was meant as a joke...there is just no way this would actually happen (even in a community program! :laugh: )

Gotta agree with missdr on this one....

Members don't see this ad :)
i will confirm that this IS NOT a joke. i have been in this program for two year (our campus is split for clinical rotations) and was considering doing OB/GYN for about 9 months (easy fella's, I converted). I know that this (event) is indeed something that they really do have to do.

kbrown said:
i will confirm that this IS NOT a joke. i have been in this program for two year (our campus is split for clinical rotations) and was considering doing OB/GYN for about 9 months (easy fella's, I converted). I know that this (event) is indeed something that they really do have to do.

If you knew this dept you would also know that this was not a joke. From day 1 the interns run a 24 bed Laboring for 24 on/off. this residency is pretty flippin' intense.

The attending was "on call" for him if he needed anything in the staff call room.

i hope deep in my bones that this wasn't a joke/hazing, but from personal experience it wouldn't even make me bat an eye if they were serious. As a student i have delivered more babies alone than most b/c there was only myself and the intern in-house with 14 people laboring, 2 simultaneously delivering.

Someone has the facts wrong. "Flippin Intense" training is one thing -- playing doctor as a 4th year med student is something completely different entirely.

But thanks for a "specialty re-affirming" moment! :laugh:

bulgethetwine said:
Someone has the facts wrong. "Flippin Intense" training is one thing -- playing doctor as a 4th year med student is something completely different entirely.

But thanks for a "specialty re-affirming" moment! :laugh:

I have chosen to completely forget that this whole event ever occured. I REFUSE to believe that this really happened. As far as having facts wrong, I am just going off what my classmate told me in a phone conversation. I doubt the facts are wrong, rather it is either a) a joke like everyone has said, or b) a really screwy program.

Yeah talk about a specialty re-affirming moment....sheeezzzzzzzzz. Yeah EM!!!!!

Draft day... sweet.. Williams to houston.. this makes the whole thing interesting..

EctopicFetus said:
Draft day... sweet.. Williams to houston.. this makes the whole thing interesting..

Yeah thats a load of cr@p!

We won the Reggie Bush Bowl in January, and all we get is a lousy defensive end? Stupid Texans! :mad:

as ralph would say.. ha-ha...

anyways I think bush is overrated.. USC players are all sliding today.. Leinart #10 he would have been #1 last yr.. and from people in the know I hear lendale might not even be in the 1st round... Also Winston Justice was at one point a top 10 pick. now he might be on my dolphin squad which would make this fetus... a happy fetus...

EctopicFetus said:
as ralph would say.. ha-ha...

anyways I think bush is overrated.. USC players are all sliding today.. Leinart #10 he would have been #1 last yr.. and from people in the know I hear lendale might not even be in the 1st round... Also Winston Justice was at one point a top 10 pick. now he might be on my dolphin squad which would make this fetus... a happy fetus...

Oh well, at least soon I will be watching Mario sack Vince Young at Reliant Stadium! end thread jack.....

EM Junkie said:
Oh well, at least soon I will be watching Mario sack Vince Young at Reliant Stadium! end thread jack.....
True true...