What to do about Biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeminoleFan3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently finishing up my last semester of biology, and I've come to notice that my professor isn't teaching what we need to know for the MCAT. I've addressed this problem with the dean, but it doesn't appear that the issue will be resolved this semester. However, I'm taking the April MCAT. I'm worried I won't know everything I need to know. I'm taking practice tests, and have gotten 8, 9, and 10 in the BS section. I know I can do better. Any suggestions on what to study, review, etc? Please help :(

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, the A&P part isn't being taught. He appears to be real hung up on evolution. I have a good basis in Bio I (cell biology and the like), the part I'm not extremely familiar with is the physio part of biology.

Members don't see this ad :)
EK bio filled the holes on the A&P and microbio not covered in my bio 101/102 class. We spent about 1/4 of second semester on plants.

Don't worry too much about what isn't being taught in your bio class. concentrate on anything MCAT relevant when it does come up. Worked for me.

SeminoleFan3 said:
Yes, the A&P part isn't being taught. He appears to be real hung up on evolution. I have a good basis in Bio I (cell biology and the like), the part I'm not extremely familiar with is the physio part of biology.

You complained to the dean because a college course wasn't teaching toward a test that few students are going to take? I hope this is a Bio 2 for Prehealth majors or something...

Anyway, just read Exam Krackers. Their series is more than adequate prep for the MCAT.

I've complained to the dean because the prof isn't teaching what's in the syllabus. There are "master course" objectives for this class, and he doesn't seem to care. Plus, physio is standard for most Bio II classes.

Physio is only a small part of what is taught. We used the Campbell and did the second half of the book. Most of the stuff is phyla junk and evolutionary biology. The physio chapters are just kinda thrown in there at the end. If you want more physio than that, take the full physio class.

I'm taking Bio 2 right now also, and we've covered viruses, prokaryotes, protists, fungi, plants, and 4 chapters of evolution. We haven't gotten to animals at all yet. Maybe your teacher will cover this stuff at the end of class.
I've learned to never rely on teachers for things you need to know. I'm sure your Bio book has the stuff you need to know in it, and Bio isn't really hard to comprehend, so no teacher is needed.

saxquiz said:
I'm taking Bio 2 right now also, and we've covered viruses, prokaryotes, protists, fungi, plants, and 4 chapters of evolution. We haven't gotten to animals at all yet. Maybe your teacher will cover this stuff at the end of class.
I've learned to never rely on teachers for things you need to know. I'm sure your Bio book has the stuff you need to know in it, and Bio isn't really hard to comprehend, so no teacher is needed.

I just ordered EK's Bio book. Hopefully, that'll help.

This seems to fit into this discussion mildly. I am taking two semester of Anatomy and Physiology, as well as Principles of Bio and General Zoology. Of the following, which would you recommend for the MCAT:

Genetics, Medical Micro (more basic for allied health) or Microbiolgy, Cell Biology, and Molecular Biology.

Before I take the MCAT I will have the ones I mentioned plus my chems and physics classes, and probably genetics because I hear it really helps on the MCAT. What are the other Bio Classes I should take?

thanks
dxu

The genetics from what I have seen if covered well in general bio would be overkill.
If you could only choose one I would go with cell biology since it would reinforce the most concepts tested.

I want to know whether micro will be favored on the mcat? I have been advised to study in depth cell and molecular, as well as biochem.

IMo bio is the least difficult of the sciences, once you know the core principles and lots of examples to support them you're good to go. Where I'm from we are required to take a 2yr program in either one of the followinf groupings: bio, chem , math, phys, chem, math or phys, chem , bio. I am currently in my first year of this program with exams in less than 8 weeks. After we have completed both sets of examinations only those with all A's get into med school, so i am familiar with your plight. If there is any question you cant aanswer or any opic you need clarification with just send me an email and I'll be sure to respond to the best of my knowledge. Take care, and best of luck. i'm off to complete some chem labs now. Talk to you guys later.

Wow, you actually complained to the Dean about your course content? Very tactless--I would seriously watch my step doing something like this. Remember, your professors and their "higher ups" talk to each other, but professors are totally independent of administrative officials, especially with respect to course content (in fact, such separation is a requirement for accreditation). Really, you should pray that the dean you complained to doesn't mention anything to your professor because if he/she did, you would be in serious trouble with the department. All it takes is for your bio professor to casually mention you at the next department meeting ("so and so is such a little bastard complaining to the dean about the way I teach my course; what an annoying little kid") and you will never get a good recommendation from anyone in the department. Academia is the most petty place in the world; protect your reputation.

If you don't like a course, drop it and take another, or speak with your professor. Never be that guy that writes letters every week to the ombudsman or the dean or the provost. That person doesn't get a good reputation. A bad reputation will hurt you more than bad grades will, although the latter tends to grow out of the former.

Don't study biochem from a biochem source. You may find biochem material to study in your bio or orgo MCAT prep. Take a look at the MCAT topic list by the AAMC. Do not stray from this unless you have mastered everything on the list and have a lot of free time. Anything that is biochem on the exam will be basically a bio or orgo question all dressed up. Learn to identify these when you do practice MCATs.

Nobody can say what will be favored on your exam. My advice for micro is the same as biochem. Look over the AAMC topic list and be sure you master those topics.

Stick to the AAMC topic list and MCAT review sources or you may get bogged down learning low yield material.

A popular biochem example is a passage or stand alone question talking about an enzyme deficiency causing some type of problem and then you must identify the enzyme causing the problem. 4-5 molecules are named that you may have never seen before but only one of them as the ending "ase" in the name so you can figure that to be an enzyme and choose that answer. After the exam someone who took biochem and knew the answer from that will say you needed biochem to know the answer. It is actually a biology 101 question that you should have learned about when studying proteins.

akm_nawab_718 said:
I want to know whether micro will be favored on the mcat? I have been advised to study in depth cell and molecular, as well as biochem.

akm_nawab_718 said:

This is like asking is my stock in XYZ going to go up? Is it going to rain? If it's on the AAMC topic list it's fair game. Do you really want to gamble your future on what someone on the internet says they think is on the next test?

dxu said:
This seems to fit into this discussion mildly. I am taking two semester of Anatomy and Physiology, as well as Principles of Bio and General Zoology. Of the following, which would you recommend for the MCAT:

Genetics, Medical Micro (more basic for allied health) or Microbiolgy, Cell Biology, and Molecular Biology.

Before I take the MCAT I will have the ones I mentioned plus my chems and physics classes, and probably genetics because I hear it really helps on the MCAT. What are the other Bio Classes I should take?

thanks
dxu

Take cell bio.

I took it last semester and it covered the first half of EK.