What to do after getting rejected everywhere?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So you are definitely NOT an idiot for graduating in 2.5 years. That is one of the most ******ed things I have ever heard. Congratulations on graduating early and having your priorities straight!
I agree. People make too big of deal out of the "you have to do four full years of college or else" crap. If graduating in 2.5 years was a big deal to the schools he applied to, they wouldn't have interviewed him. Furthermore, its something thats already finished and in the past so everyone telling him that is was a bad move is just wasting posts. whats he gonna do....go back and ungraduate and take some more credits? :smack:

Members don't see this ad.

I agree. People make too big of deal out of the "you have to do four full years of college or else" crap. If graduating in 2.5 years was a big deal to the schools he applied to, they wouldn't have interviewed him. Furthermore, its something thats already finished and in the past so everyone telling him that is was a bad move is just wasting posts. whats he gonna do....go back and ungraduate and take some more credits? :smack:

Wasting posts? Did you even read my post? I think that was one of 8 points.
He missed out on opportunities to do many things by graduating very early. Academic, intellectual, social, etc. Some of that time could have been spent doing things to confirm his interest in becoming a physician, exploring other interests, and enhancing his application. Extended research, publications, a second major, leadership roles, etc. His posts don't really indicate a clear interest in becoming a physician at all. That all could have been cleared up in an extra year or so. I hope he does get in if that's what he wants, but graduating 3 semesters early doesn't seem to have helped his application very much. My wife graduated in 3 years from college, many years later, guess what? She wishes she had taken a 4th year to explore random interests when she had nothing but time. How do I know, I just asked her. I took 2 years off after college to sew some wild oats. No regrets, and good interview fodder.
Some people don't live enough for the moment. It's not going to get any easier.

I graduated in 2.5 years with 83.0 hours taken at my undergraduate institution (the rest, 48.0, were AP credit). Out of these 83.0 hours, 12.0 hours were obtained through research for credit. I AP'ed out of some pre-med requirements: [/QUOTE]

Advanced placement credit is accepted only if the school granting the credit lists the specific course(s) and number of units granted per course on an official transcript. Lump sum credit is not accepted.
info from tmdsas website http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/education_Requirements.html
it is located at the 4th bullet of the list of requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wasting posts? Did you even read my post? I think that was one of 8 points. He missed out on opportunities to do many things by graduating very early. Academic, intellectual, social, etc. Some of that time could have been spent doing things to confirm his interest in becoming a physician, exploring other interests, and enhancing his application. Extended research, publications, a second major, leadership roles, etc. His posts don't really indicate a clear interest in becoming a physician at all. He made like three or four posts in this thread and you're going to base his entire desire to be a physician around them? That all could have been cleared up in an extra year or so.or not.I hope he does get in if that's what he wants, but graduating 3 semesters early doesn't seem to have helped his application very much.My wife graduated in 3 years from college, many years later, guess what? She wishes she had taken a 4th year to explore random interests when she had nothing but time. How do I know, I just asked her. I took 2 years off after college to sew some wild oats. No regrets, and good interview fodder.
Some people don't live enough for the moment.
Your post was well put together....it was the redundant posters who have only to add "2.5 years? AP credits? you're were you thinking?!!?"

Sorry to hear that your wife has regrets, and good for you for sewing your wild oats. But whats right for you isn't necessarily right for everyone. OP made like 3 or 4 posts in this thread and you're using them to base his desire to become a physician meanwhile his mdapps indicates he's jumped through just as many hoops as most applicants on these forums. Its pretty obvious that the interview was the red flag here....which is rather unfortunate as he seems to be one of the most level headed SDNers Ive come across in a while.

We should focus on things he CAN change.

Advanced placement credit is accepted only if the school granting the credit lists the specific course(s) and number of units granted per course on an official transcript. Lump sum credit is not accepted.
and yet another poster insinuating that the state of Texas would offer him 5 interviews if they really weren't going to accept his AP credit.....:idea:

That a guy with these stats goes 0 for 5 at interview time tells you something and indicates where he needs to place his emphasis to improve for the next cycle. Frankly, I'd suggest a volunteer service opportunity (they are called "volunteer" although they generally provide health insurance & a small stipend) of a year or more as a way of gaining life experience. City Year, Peace Corps, Jesuit Volunteers, Vista Volunteers are just some examples.

What do medical school pre-reqs have to do with the Step? Notta.

It's still prerequisites. Why do you think prerequisites are in place? To assure that people do well in medical schools. Sure, taking algebra-based physics won't guarantee that you will ace anatomy in medical school, but prerequisites are there for a reason, and one way medical schools judge your performance as a medical student is your Step score.

If AP was a deal breaker, they wouldn't have interviewed him in the first place. He knows enough to get 5 interviews. How many interviews do you have?

Some medical schools forbid use of AP to fulfill the requirements. I recall some institutions who reluctantly accept AP in general chemistry and physics if the student shows the capability by taking upper level courses in that division.

Your pointed questions are clearly missing the point. It's not just the matter of saying, "Oh, he got 5 interviews, so he knew what he was doing." No, what matters at the end isn't the number of interviews he had, but number of acceptances he has.

How many acceptances do you have? And oh, don't answer that because that's called rhetorical question and we don't want your answer. :laugh:

As a side note, I think OP has a very good chance of becoming accepted somewhere next year provided that he applies broadly and gets additional EC's. By then, he would have matured and does better in the interviews. Best luck to him. :thumbup:

And as far as those people who are just answering the posts to defend the "2.5 year theorem" and flaming other members, well:

haters-gonna-hate.gif

It's still prerequisites. Why do you think prerequisites are in place? To assure that people do well in medical schools. Sure, taking algebra-based physics won't guarantee that you will ace anatomy in medical school, but prerequisites are there for a reason, and one way medical schools judge your performance as a medical student is your Step score.
apples are oranges?
Some medical schools forbid use of AP to fulfill the requirements. I recall some institutions who reluctantly accept AP in general chemistry and physics if the student shows the capability by taking upper level courses in that division.

Your pointed questions are clearly missing the point. It's not just the matter of saying, "Oh, he got 5 interviews, so he knew what he was doing." No, what matters at the end isn't the number of interviews he had, but number of acceptances he has. :laugh:
....there's that darn wing again. its been windy today, eh?

When I read your mdapps earlier today I noticed that you wrote something about leaving the schools right after the interview and not staying for the student panels, presentations and all the other stuff. I know the admission people don't keep track of people the whole day but maybe they do notice that stuff. You could seem like someone who doesn't care enough to stick around for the whole interview day when 50 other people can..:rolleyes:

Last edited:
When I read your mdapps earlier today I noticed that you wrote something about leaving the schools right after the interview and not staying for the student panels, presentations and all the other stuff. I know the admission people don't keep track of people the whole day but maybe they do notice that stuff. You could seem like someone who doesn't care enough to stick around for the whole interview day when 50 other people can..:rolleyes:

Wow seriously? Didn't see that.

And now we have our answer. How anyone would think that is appropriate is beyond me. I knew someone who did that on their residency interviews...they didn't match well.

:( Yeah, I did bail after the interview at my last interview at UT Southwestern (after the tour and morning presentations). I skipped the student panel because I honestly felt like I was getting the same information from the med students who were chosen to represent the school at every school. I had time to ask questions I had to the tour guide and the student at our lunch table. I'm not trying to defending this action. In retrospect, it was really rude; the least I could have done is stay put for the entire interview day.

I realize the value of the opportunity now that I feel it slip away.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can understand wanting to leave UTSW early. Their program is just too long and repetitive. After lunch on second day I felt like I had heard the same thing thirty times. Still, while I think it's unlikely anyone would notice I guess it's possible. I think that this is most likely not the issue, but the attitude behind it may have been.

:( Yeah, I did bail after the interview at my last interview at UT Southwestern (after the tour and morning presentations). I skipped the student panel because I honestly felt like I was getting the same information from the med students who were chosen to represent the school at every school. I had time to ask questions I had to the tour guide and the student at our lunch table. I'm not trying to defending this action. In retrospect, it was really rude; the least I could have done is stay put for the entire interview day.

I realize the value of the opportunity now that I feel it slip away.

5PlTg.gif

Edit: No, but that's just one school. What about the other 4? Lettuce be reality: your age was holding you back a lot(did you have any valid reason to graduate college so fast? Or you just didn't like it? While there are certainly young people in med school, it's getting more rare as the median age goes up. You probably needed to impress them even more than the typical 22-24 year old with similar stats, to prove you were cereal about being a med student.

That whole AP credit thing still confuses me also. I'm not familiar with the texas match system...if you don't match are you rejected or on a waitlist? Your GPA is great so you really don't need to retake the mcat, but focus on getting more real life experience (medical and nonmedical). Best of luck with your med school goals in 2011 OP

Last edited:
One could make the argument that the interview step is the easiest hurdle to get past (statistically). And you were 0 for 5.

I can understand wanting to leave UTSW early. Their program is just too long and repetitive. After lunch on second day I felt like I had heard the same thing thirty times. Still, while I think it's unlikely anyone would notice I guess it's possible. I think that this is most likely not the issue, but the attitude behind it may have been.

^^
this

I hope Etzio has this one bookmarked.

It doesn't make sense for 5 schools to reject him post-interview due to AP credits. If that were the case, they wouldn't have invited him to interview in the first place! I think the OP needs to practice his interviewing skills and beef up some of his ec's for the next cycle.

It wasn't your age, your AP credits or the fact you graduated so quickly.
It had to be interviews and I'm positive you are on some wait lists bc you seem like a good candidate.

Hold your head up and stay positive, I say this because your thread title says it all... "rejected everywhere." Not being match doesn't mean your rejected, tons of Physicians/MS's that were pulled from wait lists every year.

Last edited:
It had to be interviews and I'm positive you are on some wait lists bc you seem like a good candidate.

Hold your head up and stay positive, I say this because your thread title says it all... "rejected everywhere." Not being match doesn't mean your rejected, tons of Physicians/MS's that were pulled from wait lists every year.

Just a side question and mean this in no derogatory way nor do I want to start a huge debate but why didn't you apply TCOM? It was only one more click of the mouse.

I agree - let us know what happens in the dean meeting!

Just a side question and mean this in no derogatory way nor do I want to start a huge debate but why didn't you apply TCOM? It was only one more click of the mouse.

I feel like the answer to this question is incredibly obvious and is going to start exactly the debate you seem not to want.

He probably realized, like me, that if he got accepted there, he wouldn't go. Simple as that.

I don't know why people are harping on your age so much...I'm 20 right now and applied this cycle. (I am graduating after the typical four year mark though, I'm not sure if that makes a difference) I received five interviews and was accepted to my state school back in October. Never in any of the interviews did anyone seem to express doubt in my emotional or mental maturity, and I was able to convince all of them that my decision to pursue medicine was definitely one that I had given mature thought to. All interviewers were fully aware of my age, and one of them even applauded me for deciding to go to medical school immediately after undergraduate. Seeing your list of extracurriculars makes me really think that your interviewing was your problem. Perhaps there was nothing bad, but rather your interviews were unremarkable. Try working on your charisma and giving thoughtful responses that do more than just simply answer their questions. For example, if they ask about what your parents do, you can discuss more about your family and their influences. If they ask if you've done any volunteering, it would be a great opportunity to expand on what you got out of your volunteering, rather than just what your tasks were. I don't think it has anything to do with your age, unless you somehow came across as underdeveloped in other areas of your application. If that's the case, add more shadowing/clinical experience to your app? Good luck with everything :luck:

I'm in a somewhat similar situation myself. I've been to 5 interviews so far but haven't brought home an acceptance yet. (1 rejection, 2 WL, 1 hold, 1 decision pending)

I got some feedback on my interview skills. I was basically told that I was well spoken and communicated well, but didn't show the passion and excitement that was evident from my writing. I've always been a kinda reserved person, and I think that has held me back a lot this application cycle. I have one more interview coming up, so I've got to try to get all pumped up and show the excitement this time (without weirding them out).

I just wanted to throw another option out there for you. It's not necessarily wrong answers or emotional maturity that hold one back at the interview stage.

I'd like to think I'm not uni-dimensional... I guess it comes off that way on the med school app with just the med-related stuff listed there. I try to balance things as much as possible: I either play soccer or workout pretty much every day (Texas A&M's Rec center is the bomb!). I spend a lot of time composing music (I play the keyboard and I taught myself guitar and drums). I was actually going to buy myself a motorcycle as a reward if I got into med school this cycle (just got my motorcycle license). I go mountain biking and paintballing on the weekends fairly regularly. Now, since I graduated from college, I'm doing this nomadic thing where I live out of my car and live on friends' couches (because I've always wanted to and probably won't get a chance to once I'm older). To be honest, I've always felt that I didn't do enough med-school geared things. Perhaps, I should somehow append these to the uni-dimensional me as appears on my med-school app.

was i the only one who read this and took it to mean that OP only put things s/he deemed medically related on the application? That could be it right there, they have no sense of who this person is, as a person. i think it was dingyibvs made this mistake his first cycle, corrected it and got in on the second try (not that the 41 MCAT retake hurt, either :rolleyes:)

speaking of which, the numbers are fine. the people in here saying that VR8 isn't good enough have seriously taken leave of reality.

Last edited:
Just met with my pre-med advisor. She pointed out two potential problems:
  1. General lack of experiences outside the typical pre-med stuff
  2. Not effectively communicating passion for medicine during interviews

She also indicated that getting off a waitlist is still a plausible option.

I'm planning to do the following so far:
  1. Continue research
  2. Retake the MCAT (May 26, 2011 - 16 weeks of studying)
  3. Emergency Care Team on campus (medic at sports events)
  4. Shadowing physicians
  5. [TBD] - some random activity that I enjoy but haven't tried... probably like coaching kids soccer or something

I'm planning to do the following so far:
  1. Continue research
  2. Retake the MCAT (May 26, 2011 - 16 weeks of studying)
  3. Emergency Care Team on campus (medic at sports events)
  4. Shadowing physicians
  5. [TBD] - some random activity that I enjoy but haven't tried... probably like coaching kids soccer or something
How many of the things on this list, and the resulting time you're committing to pursue them, address #1 on the first list?

I'm in the same boat. 5 interviews and nothing to show for it. I can understand my interview skills aren't the best, but they aren't horrible. I don't come off as a psycho or anything. At least I hope. Well, it sucks and I feel for you.

I was reading through your MDapps, and you have a couple of non-medical ECs (mainly soccer and a bit of Habitat for Hummanity). I think the main problem with graduating in 2.5 years was not that you are a young applicant, but that you didn't have enough time to develop significant and meaningful ECs. Like you, I didn't do a whole lot my first year of undergrad, but I had 3 additional years to become heavily involved in activities. You only had 1.5. I think your best bet would be to find some organization that you enjoy working with and spend some time doing that. This should help strengthen your list of ECs. Your MCAT score is also not terrible, even though you think it is. If you truly think you can raise it at least 5 points, then go ahead an re-take, but if not, don't. It seems that you fault laziness for not performing up to your standards the first time around, so if you are willing to fix that, then go for it.

How about you call the school and ask why you didn't get accepted and for advice on how to better your application for next year.

From my experience this is good advice. I was rejected during the application process for the class matriculating in 2010, and called every school I interviewed at to ask them what I could do to improve my application in their eyes. Not every school was receptive, but those that were were very helpful in targeting areas of concern for me, and the one school where I met with the director of admissions in person about how to improve my application ended up accepting me this year. Seeing if you can visit some of your schools to ask questions between admissions cycles might work well with your nomadic lifestyle too.

Honestly, don't listen to some of these guys on here. You graduated in 2.5 years! Awesome, that means you got your money's worth and you didn't sacrifice your GPA. Sure you look one-dimensional -- you finished incredibly early which means you had little time to take a minor or a second major or go study abroad. Does this matter? Maybe.

So many pre-meds try to have 'dimensions' and it just looks false. It reminds me of how I feel about 'chinese mothers' (from that article in the WSJ by Amy Chua). Sometimes pushing so hard towards a goal at all costs, you forget to take in the journey and you become an automaton. Be aware, that life isn't about destinations as much as its about the journey. Explore OTHER facets of your personality, and DONT do it to look more well-rounded for a stupid application. Live your life for gods sake, don't live it for someone else.

As for your maturity, most 22 yo's don't know anything about being mature let alone 20 yo's. I doubt your maturity is a primary reason for your lack of acceptances. You'll mature throughout your training.

As far as your MCAT score...shame on you. You graduated early primarily because of your excellent scores on AP tests. This tells me you're an excellent studier and an excellent test-taker. You should have done better on the MCAT. Get that VR score up by practicing until you're sick...I really liked the EK book. It's $20 and it will do you a world of difference. I went from a 7 when I first took a dry run to two 13's and mostly 12's (I got an 11 on the test) by the time I was done. Obviously, not the 'best', but it's in the top percentiles. It should be easy for you to do better on the MCAT with a good two-months blocked out for studying. You're done with college, so you have TIME to do this.

Your PS might need work, and it won't hurt to work on it. However, to me, what you did wrong was quite clear...the interview. Your stats were good enough to get interviews at 5 schools. That's a significant first hurdle. Work on your interviewing skills...this unfortunately, comes with practice (simulated and real).

Talk to the schools themselves and get feedback. Send a LOI this cycle. Apply broadly next year.

The medical school admissions process isn't a foolproof process. They let people in when they shouldn't, and they don't let some people in that they really ought to. That's why you apply broadly. It all depends on who's reading your application, who interviews you, what they remember about the interview...etc. etc. There are a lot more variables to consider than just your 'stats'.

Well, thanks for all the input guys. Based on it, I am doing the following as of now:
  1. MCAT prep (4h/day) - Will take on May 26th. Prep is going rather well. I've been supplementing the EK books with a lot of Khan Academy lectures which have been quite helpful in gaining an intuitive understanding of concepts in every subject. Doing the EK 101 Verbal, as recommended. Going to do TONS of full length practice tests this time around.
  2. Research Lab (4h/day) - Same old science-y stuff - Also, prof said he'd address my "emotional maturity" and "drive to be a physician" in his letter this time plus whatever else the A&M dean deems to be lacking
  3. Emergency Care Team (5h/wk) - medic at sports games
  4. Soccer coach for a U5 kids team (5h/wk) - This one's just FUNNN!!!

I'll probably start shadowing doctors once I meet with A&M's dean and figure out what else I need to address...

Other than this, I don't think I'll have much time to do anything else before the May 26th MCAT.

Plus, thinking about about this over the last few days, I'm actually looking forward to finishing applications and having a year off. I'm going to be living with my college buddies and I'll be 21! This could very well be the best year of my youth that I may have missed.

Last edited:
Hey OP, I just want to say props to you for graduating in 2.5 years! Thats pretty awesome and I really don't know why you didn't get in anywhere. Since you graduated so early, maybe you could that time to do something your passionate about, travel abroad, broaden your horizons and get something thats really unique so that you will definitely get in next time.

Well, thanks for all the input guys. Based on it, I am doing the following as of now:
  1. MCAT prep (4h/day) - Will take on May 26th. Prep is going rather well. I've been supplementing the EK books with a lot of Khan Academy lectures which have been quite helpful in gaining an intuitive understanding of concepts in every subject. Doing the EK 101 Verbal, as recommended. Going to do TONS of full length practice tests this time around.
  2. Research Lab (4h/day) - Same old science-y stuff - Also, prof said he'd address my "emotional maturity" and "drive to be a physician" in his letter this time plus whatever else the A&M dean deems to be lacking

I'll probably start shadowing doctors once I meet with A&M's dean and figure out what else I need to address...

Other than this, I don't think I'll have much time to do anything else before the May 26th MCAT.

Plus, thinking about about this over the last few days, I'm actually looking forward to finishing applications and having a year off. I'm going to be living with my college buddies and I'll be 21! This could very well be the best year of my youth that I may have missed.

I would also suggest writing letters on intent to the schools you have been waitlisted at... Maybe you were not able to convey your enthusiasm during your interviews, but you can surely do that in a letter and maybe help you move up to the top of the waitlist.

Wish you luck, especially for the rest of the cycle as you might be get off a waitlist.

Maybe something else to do, just a stupid thought- remove your misanthrope label... I mean who wants a misanthrope for a doctor?

can someone explain this prematch to me? Does not prematching essentially mean you're rejected, or do you still have a chance at these schools?

OP, you mentioned the possibility of not sounding enthusiastic enough. When you talk are you effusive or very to-the-point? I am naturally very to-the-point and that was one of the main things I tried to fix up prior to going on interviews. I also slipped back into my natural mode a lot of times, so looking back I probably should have put a stronger effort towards that goal.

TMDSAS states "Exceptionally Mature students with 90 semester hours will be considered........"

Maybe.....?

You have good stats. I would say that maybe your personal statement and letters of rec were not strong enough or the interviews went badly. My only advice for the next cycle would be: 1. Write a better personal statement 2. Hope for better interviews 3. Maybe retake the MCAT (30R is good, but if you can get a higher score it would help.) 4. Apply out of state. It maybe more expensive, but you increase your chances of getting into medical school

Wow. TMDSAS removed 8 of my AP courses from the course-listing last year because TMDSAS claims they didn't show up on the official transcript... So my physics, general chemistry, and calculus credits (pre-med requirements) weren't on the TMDSAS list. I just ordered an official transcript to make sure; I always figured my "unofficial transcript" on the student website contained the same content as my official transcript.

Anyways, the main point of this post is an UPDATE:
I got an acceptance to Texas Tech Lubbock off the waitlist today! It was a weird mix of joy and confusion because I was all prepared for reapplication: retook the MCAT a week ago and just submitted my TMDSAS yesterday! Oh well.

Wow. TMDSAS removed 8 of my AP courses from the course-listing last year because TMDSAS claims they didn't show up on the official transcript... So my physics, general chemistry, and calculus credits (pre-med requirements) weren't on the TMDSAS list. I just ordered an official transcript to make sure; I always figured my "unofficial transcript" on the student website contained the same content as my official transcript.

Anyways.

I got an acceptance to Texas Tech Lubbock off the waitlist today! It was a weird mix of joy and confusion because I was all prepared for reapplication: retook the MCAT a week ago and just submitted my TMDSAS yesterday! Oh well.

congrats bro. i am really happy for you and you had amazing stats. good luck through out med school.:luck:

Anyways, the main point of this post is an UPDATE:

Haha, sweet timing! Send acceptance the day after new primary submitted, problem?

trollface.jpg

Btw, congrats!!!

Congrats!!! I believe a celebration is in order. :hardy:

tumblr_l9zg1vAX2Z1qazkdco1_500.gif

Shameless bump to gloat over my MCAT score which won't count for anything: 39 WOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Also, I'm matriculating at UTMB Galveston! (no disrespect Tech, but YAY I DONT HAVE TO GO TO LUBBOCK!)

/shameless gloating

Shameless bump to gloat over my MCAT score which won't count for anything: 39 WOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Also, I'm matriculating at UTMB Galveston! (no disrespect Tech, but YAY I DONT HAVE TO GO TO LUBBOCK!)

/shameless gloating

Congrats! That 39 MCAT is crazy, even if it won't be used for anything.

Whatever you did to study this time around, remember those skills/habits in 2 years for the Step 1. :D

what did you do to study this time around for the mcat? exact study plan if you could please. (like what books, how many hours, daily schedule, etc.)

/shameless gloating

nice VR increase :eek: