What to do after getting rejected everywhere?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paul411

ANES
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Match Day is over in Texas and I need to figure out what was lacking in my application as I try to fill in the gaps and strengthen it overall for the next cycle. Any input will be appreciated.

My MDapplicants covers most of this...

GPA: 3.93; B in "US History 1 (3.0 cr); B in "Health and Fitness" (1.0 cr)
sGPA: 3.98; B in "Critical Writing in Biology (1.0 cr)

I graduated in 2.5 years with 83.0 hours taken at my undergraduate institution (the rest, 48.0, were AP credit). Out of these 83.0 hours, 12.0 hours were obtained through research for credit. I AP'ed out of some pre-med requirements: Physics, Chemistry, Calculus and English. Could this be a hindrance?

MCAT (1/5/10): 30P = 11PS 11BS 8VR, P

Other stuff:
- Habitat for Humanity volunteer
- EMT-B course
- EMT-B clinicals + ~150 hours of extra volunteering in ER and ambulance
- Research: Been with the lab for about 2 years and I'm still working in it (Almost 3 years now) - we're about to publish a basic protocol paper (not first author)

Applied to Texas MD schools and got 5 interviews at UTSW, UTMB, UTH, TTUHSC-Lubbock, and TTUHSC-El Paso. No pre-matches and no matches :cry:

More details on the MDapplicants page, I guess

----

So, what should I do? It's already Feb and I have to apply in < 4 months.

• I'm starting to study for the MCAT which I will probably retake on May 1st.
  • Take more undergraduate courses to bump up the coursework load a bit?
  • Shadowing a doctor? Volunteer at the ER?
  • I joined the university's "Emergency Care Team" in which I'm the medic in charge at sports games.
  • Also, I probably need to make sure that my interviews weren't the problem... felt like I did pretty well but I guess not. How do I request the schools for feedback on what was weak in my application?

----
UPDATE 1:
6/2/2011: One day after submitting my app for the next cycle, I got accepted at Texas Tech - Lubbock off the waitlist!

UPDATE 2:
6/14/2011: Accepted to UTMB Galveston! Awesome :D!

UPDATE 3:
6/28/2011: 39 (12PS 13VR 14BS) on the MCAT retake! SUPER FREAKING STOKED (even though this score is useless :()!!!! :D:D:D :highfive:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So, what should I do?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdtejCR413c[/youtube]

But seriously, I'm really shocked you didn't get matched to any Texas schools. How do you think you did on the interviews? Did you apply to only Texas schools or did you apply OOS as well?

This sounds like a case where the interviews might not have gone in your favor. I would suggest some interview practice and having someone check the outfit that you wore to your interviews.

I have seen some people at interviews with khakis and a blazer, or khakis and short sleeve dress shirt with a tie... :eek:

Regardless, I would work on your interviewing, because you need to be able to articulate your passion for medicine and who you are in front of a panel.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no way you have those stats and don't get in unless you red-flagged with your interview, PS or rec letters. I don't think you need to retake the MCAT. you should focus on the intangibles of your application and interview skills IMO.

I guess it's time to head to the pre-med office for interview practice. Also, if anyone is willing to take a look at my PS, I'd like to get some feedback on that as well.

How do you think you did on the interviews? Did you apply to only Texas schools or did you apply OOS as well?

didn't apply OOS, just in Texas.

On the interviews, I thought I did AT LEAST okay... but self-evaluations aren't always useful. As for the interviews, I wore a tailored navy blue pinstripe suit which was pretty traditional, nothing that stands out.

The rec letters: one was from my research prof of 2 years who showed me the letter and it was pretty great. The second letter was from a statistics professor who showed me the letter as well, it was great too. The third letter was from a microbiology professor who I didn't know that well but I became very close friends with the TA and the TA was asked to add a paragraph to the letter, so I'm assuming it was okay.

This leaves my interview and PS and potentially the third rec letter. Maybe my pre-med advisor will let me see the third rec letter or tell me about it now.

Last edited:
I don't think they've started a 2011-2012 PS readers thread, but I'd be happy to read for anyone who needs it.

How about you call the school and ask why you didn't get accepted and for advice on how to better your application for next year.

It's gotta be the interview.

With that many interviews, even with the relative crapshoot that is med admissions, you should have gotten in somewhere.

The good thing is that is one of the easiest things to fix, as opposed to GPA/MCAT repair.

The MCAT score is a little bit of a red flag, but many struggle on verbal. And if you retake and only improve verbal, I don't think that will help you a ton.

Certainly, re-evaluate your PS and essays and all that, but it really is all those interviews and no acceptances that is sticking out to me.

Interview Skills
8 VR

I know UTH does a re-applicant workshop. Check the school specific thread because I think a date might have been mentioned there.

You graduated in 2.5 years......so how old are you, exactly?

Turned 20 in November 2010.

I know UTH does a re-applicant workshop. Check the school specific thread because I think a date might have been mentioned there.

Good to know these exist... I'm in College Station so I'll try to check if A&M has one too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Turned 20 in November 2010.
I am going to say something that has absolutely nothing to do with your posts, because in this thread you come off fine. I also am not attacking you and I am only bringing it up as possibility. But is there a chance that they are worried about your emotional maturity?

I don't mean that you are immature in that you necessarily project something by your words or actions....but just that you have less experience in the world than someone who is a few years older than you are.

And while many applicants are only 2 years older than you are...the average age at most med schools is 24. And 4 years of experience at this age is actually a lot. Think about the difference between you at 16 and you now.

Do you feel like you have been through enough challenging life experiences that you could talk about these challenges with an adcom and be articulate about the nuances and complexities of the situations? Having overcome difficulty is thought of as being sort of a prerequisite to a career where you deal with people (and, necessarily, their difficulties) every day.

I interviewed someone a year or more ago who was at that time where you will be a year from now.... didn't get in on the first round after graduating in 3 years with AP credits etc. He worked a year as an EMT B and I'm certain he got in during that second cycle. Not Texas but no reason the story should be any different there. You need time and seasoning.

Is there still a chance to be accepted if you didn't pre-match/match? I'm not familiar with the Texas system, but if its not over yet, I'd find something to update schools on and write some letters.

Hope is not lost! You could be waitlisted at any of those schools, and they send those lists out pretty soon after match I believe. I have not seen any movement on the Tech Lubbock thread for today AT ALL. I find it hard to believe there wouldn't be a couple of students on SDN who matched today... so again, hope is not lost. (I wouldn't mind being on the Tech waiting list either)

Best of luck to you! :xf:

Three things to work on as I see it:

-You're too uni-dimensional. What have you done besides things oriented toward a med school application? Buy a motorcycle and join a biker gang. Go climb a mountain, backpack through Europe, be a ski instructor, spend a few years working at a school in a dangerous neighborhood, something to give you some life experiences.

-Your interviewing skills clearly need work, you were 0 for 5. You should have gotten at least 2, maybe 3 acceptances from 5 interviews just as an average applicant.

-You're too young. Despite what a lot of people think, racing through undergrad years (and doing little more than academics and resume building) doesn't impress anyone and is not a plus.

I wouldn't reapply next year. I think you need a few years of personal growth before schools will take you seriously.

-You're too uni-dimensional. What have you done besides things oriented toward a med school application? Buy a motorcycle and join a biker gang. Go climb a mountain, backpack through Europe, be a ski instructor, spend a few years working at a school in a dangerous neighborhood, something to give you some life experiences.

I'd like to think I'm not uni-dimensional... I guess it comes off that way on the med school app with just the med-related stuff listed there. I try to balance things as much as possible: I either play soccer or workout pretty much every day (Texas A&M's Rec center is the bomb!). I spend a lot of time composing music (I play the keyboard and I taught myself guitar and drums). I was actually going to buy myself a motorcycle as a reward if I got into med school this cycle (just got my motorcycle license). I go mountain biking and paintballing on the weekends fairly regularly. Now, since I graduated from college, I'm doing this nomadic thing where I live out of my car and live on friends' couches (because I've always wanted to and probably won't get a chance to once I'm older). To be honest, I've always felt that I didn't do enough med-school geared things. Perhaps, I should somehow append these to the uni-dimensional me as appears on my med-school app.

Your interviewing skills clearly need work, you were 0 for 5. You should have gotten at least 2, maybe 3 acceptances from 5 interviews just as an average applicant.

Sigh, this seems like the most probable problem.

You're too young. Despite what a lot of people think, racing through undergrad years (and doing little more than academics and resume building) doesn't impress anyone and is not a plus.

I wouldn't reapply next year. I think you need a few years of personal growth before schools will take you seriously.

I feel like I have developed the framework necessary for personal growth and maturity. I just feel that I can attain personal growth throughout med school and beyond and not just before it.

And I guess now I have a whole year off to do all the other things I've wanted to. It's not all bad news.

:thumbup: Completely agree with this.

Oh yeah? I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOUR MOM!

JK, I guess emotional maturity is a valid concern for adcoms that I should try to address in my personal statement and interview. I didn't really think much of this the first time around.

I'm in agreement with LizzyM, also in agreement on the coursework. Are you CERTAIN that they are willing to take your AP credits into consideration in your coursework? I am skeptical because I see 83 credit hours, and I know many schools say a minimum of 90 before application. If they won't count your AP credits, it could be a deal breaker...

Oh yeah? I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOUR MOM!

JK, I guess emotional maturity is a valid concern for adcoms that I should try to address in my personal statement and interview. I didn't really think much of this the first time around.

Haha nice.

I've seen myself grow so much in four years. Every year, I learn something new about people/myself, and I am a better person because of these experiences. I'm very surprised that you didn't match anywhere, so it might be a combination of all of those things mentioned. But good luck man, you'll get in. Even after another year, you'll still be younger than most applicants.

I interviewed at 5 Texas Schools and also wasn't matched to any...

However I applied OOS so it's not completely over for me yet.

We had a 17 year old and an 18 year old in my MS1 class. I don't think schools will discount you just because of age.

Match Day is over in Texas and I need to figure out what was lacking in my application as I try to fill in the gaps and strengthen it overall for the next cycle. Any input will be appreciated.

I graduated in 2.5 years with 83.0 hours taken at my undergraduate institution (the rest, 48.0, were AP credit). Out of these 83.0 hours, 12.0 hours were obtained through research for credit. I AP'ed out of some pre-med requirements: Physics, Chemistry, Calculus and English. Could this be a hindrance?

Other stuff:
- EMT-B course
- Research: Been with the lab for about 2 years and I'm still working in it (Almost 3 years now) - we're about to publish a basic protocol paper (not first author)

Applied to Texas MD schools and got 5 interviews at UTSW, UTMB, UTH, TTUHSC-Lubbock, and TTUHSC-El Paso. No pre-matches and no matches :cry:

----

• I joined the university's "Emergency Care Team" in which I'm the medic in charge at sports games.
  • Also, I probably need to make sure that my interviews weren't the problem... felt like I did pretty well but I guess not. How do I request the schools for feedback on what was weak in my application?

I'm confused. Did you AP out of the preqreqs and take upper level classes in those subjects? I really hope you didn't use AP credits for physics, chemistry, calculus and english, and then not take any courses in those subjects. Sounds like some really bad pre-med advising if they told you that was okay. It's one thing to take an AP credit here and there, and then take upper level classes instead, but testing out of 4-8 prerequisites is a terrible idea (srs)

-Your interviewing skills clearly need work, you were 0 for 5. You should have gotten at least 2, maybe 3 acceptances from 5 interviews just as an average applicant.

-You're too young. Despite what a lot of people think, racing through undergrad years (and doing little more than academics and resume building) doesn't impress anyone and is not a plus.

I agree with all this advice, but don't join a biker gang lol

South_Park_Harleys.jpg

Honestly, how do you think you come across in person? Are you overly reserved? Do you tend to stray from topic or make inappropriate comments? Do you have a hard time conveying your ideas to interviewers?

Honestly, how do you think you come across in person? Are you overly reserved? Do you tend to stray from topic or make inappropriate comments? Do you have a hard time conveying your ideas to interviewers?

I would say that I am generally reserved in that I don't normally walk up to people and start conversations (unless they're really close friends). However, once a conversation is initiated, I think I can hold at least a decent conversation. If the thoughts are clear in my head, I have no problem articulating them and I maintain good eye contact, posture, smile, all that good stuff.

I think my problem with this application cycle was that I didn't articulate my passion for medicine as well as I should have. A&M and UTSA didn't even offer interviews, so the problem might be entrenched in my PS itself. One thing I've realized over the application cycle and the last few days is that I need to sit down and seriously reflect on why I want to go into medicine and how best to articulate that. In the last cycle, I don't think I addressed this important question with adequate depth and insight -- probably a poor reflection of my emotional maturity.

Anyways, some progress is being made: Since I'm in College Station, I called and made an appointment with the Dean of Admissions at TAMUHSC to sit down and discuss my application. I feel that meeting will be very helpful in determining my course of action.

Just a couple observations.
1. Your an idiot for graduating in 2.5 years. College is a place to experiment, try new things, expand your mind, go nuts, take a semester abroad, etc. I wish I took 5 years. (one fraternity brother took 6.5, really) There's nothing like it. Your rapid race through school cost you leadership opportunities, among so many other things...
2. Your age/maturity is almost certainly hurting you. Applying again will likely help some with this concern. You're committed enough to reapply.
3. You mentioned your EMT "internship" but not physician shadowing. Shadowing is not something that requires hundreds of hours, but 20 hours with 5 different physicians shows that you have some clear understanding of the career of a physican.
4. Your notes here and on the MD aps link don't strike me as particularly passionate about a lifelong commitment to medicine. Your essay and interview may have been different, probably not. This may be your deal breaker. Only you know.
5. You do seem very one dimensional.
6. Your grades are great, but that MCAT VR of 8 is a giant red flag to my eyes. Your a 19 yr old fast track genius on paper and you tank the VR? Not good. Maybe, just maybe, you need to consider retaking that.
7. It would seem unlikely you would get an interview if you lacked the proper amount/type of classes. That's probably not your problem. If you didn't check all the pre req boxes, it's foolish to waste time interviewing you.
8. You can fix the above pretty easily, but I would wait another year to apply. You probably need the time to address all the concerns.
Good luck.

Add me to the chorus of those saying it was most likely the interviews. Looking at your numbers and EC's, I can't imagine you'd be shut out everywhere. As for the AP credits, I don't claim to know anything about the TX system, but I would imagine that if they were a deal breaker, you wouldn't have gotten the interviews. Maybe LizzyM could address that. Hopefully, you'll get on the waitlist at least, but I'd definitely ask the adcoms what needs improvement.

Barring that, the reapplicant workshop sounds like it could be a great deal. Or, spend a year living out loud.

Good luck to you!

I would say that I am generally reserved in that I don't normally walk up to people and start conversations (unless they're really close friends). However, once a conversation is initiated, I think I can hold at least a decent conversation. If the thoughts are clear in my head, I have no problem articulating them and I maintain good eye contact, posture, smile, all that good stuff.

I think my problem with this application cycle was that I didn't articulate my passion for medicine as well as I should have. A&M and UTSA didn't even offer interviews, so the problem might be entrenched in my PS itself. One thing I've realized over the application cycle and the last few days is that I need to sit down and seriously reflect on why I want to go into medicine and how best to articulate that. In the last cycle, I don't think I addressed this important question with adequate depth and insight -- probably a poor reflection of my emotional maturity.

Anyways, some progress is being made: Since I'm in College Station, I called and made an appointment with the Dean of Admissions at TAMUHSC to sit down and discuss my application. I feel that meeting will be very helpful in determining my course of action.

I'd be happy to read a personal statement as well for 2011-2012. You don't seem clueless in these posts, so I'd say your self-awareness isn't hopeless. It never hurts to be more articulate though - and definitely make sure you come off personable and agreeable.

Sorry to hear that you didn't have any luck in the match, but that doesn't mean that you were rejected! Apparently the Texas waitlists really move, so I wouldn't lose all hope yet.

Also, I'm an Aggie too...have you utilized our pre-med advisor? If not, you really should. I think she's awesome, very knowledgeable and a great resource. We're really lucky to have an advisor who actually knows her stuff. I know that she will help with your PS, if you wanted her to. I'd definitely schedule an appointment with her to go over your application and see if she sees any red flags. One time that I met with her, I told her to be brutally honest with me, and she was. I'd ask her to do the same for you so that in the event that you do have to reapply, you'll have an objective opinion of what you need to work on. Also, she won't show you your letters, but she did tell me that, at least for this cycle, no one had any bad rec letters submitted.

Anyway, good luck! I bet you'll get in somewhere off the waitlist :luck:

We had a 17 year old and an 18 year old in my MS1 class. I don't think schools will discount you just because of age.
Age=/=Emotional Maturity

But it is a factor....just based on amount of life possibilities. Especially when a good portion of your life is spent trying to get into medical school.

lack of shadowing and clinical experience

Other stuff:
- EMT-B course

----

This is just a side note. B in health and fitness?

That just seems cruel. They should be enjoying college.

Do not lose hope, I am 20 and got prematched to one school out of the two I interviewed at. Stat 32, 3.565 gpa. Though we mature with age, but it is not the only factor. I am finishing undergrad in 3 years. I applied super late in this cycle and was doubtful of my sucess.

Your interview could be reason. It is too early to give up, though the waiting sucks, You might end up getting selected from waitlist. The good thing about starting out young, is we have the time.

Your ec and stat is more impressive than mine. I had applied to UNT master program in case I do not get anywhere. Do not loose hope. You have everything else going for you.

This is just a side note. B in health and fitness?
Yeah it was for running class. I had too many absences (mostly excused absences for med school interviews), got 20 points docked. Did everything else I could but couldn't get it up to an A. I did work my ass off near the end to run the 2 mile run under 14 minutes to get a 100 on that part!

lack of shadowing and clinical experience
My EMT-B clinicals at the ER and other depts at the hospital were pretty good clinical experience but I definitely lack the shadowing. I'm going to shadow a few doctors over the next few months.

My first thoughts:

1) 8 in verbal is a concern. But you still got 5 interviews so apparently wasn't a deal breaker. Need to retake and get a 10.

2) You're only 20. Do you come across as emotionally mature and able to understand what you're getting into and able to handle med school.

3) Clinical experience. Looks ok, but what did you get out of it? Do you have a clear idea of what physicians life is like and what its like dealing with patients.

4) Interview skills. 5 interviews with no acceptances - something went wrong. Either you don't come across well or something is wrong with your answers.

Some thoughts of what can go wrong in interview from another thread:
1) You are more impressive on paper than in person. On paper your activities and grades look good but when they actually sit down and talk to you, you can't talk about your activities in a meaningful manner or discuss what you got out of them. You don't sound excited about the activities.

2) You are abrasive/arrogant/obnoxious in person and aren't hiding it well.

3) You are average on paper and average in interview knocking yourself behind those who are above average on paper or above average in interview.

4) You don't interview well and sound scared/nervous/rambling/dishonest.

5) You don't have a good answer to "Why Medicine?" "How are you going to pay for it?" "When are you going to have a family?" and "What if you don't get into medical school." These questions are excellent at weeding out people who really don't understand what it takes to be a physician and are not ready to make the choice to enter medical school.

You can also call the admissions offices and see if they will give you any feedback. Many will.

1. Your an idiot for graduating in 2.5 years. College is a place to experiment, try new things, expand your mind, go nuts, take a semester abroad, etc. I wish I took 5 years. (one fraternity brother took 6.5, really) There's nothing like it. Your rapid race through school cost you leadership opportunities, among so many other things...
2. Your age/maturity is almost certainly hurting you. Applying again will likely help some with this concern. You're committed enough to reapply.
3. You mentioned your EMT "internship" but not physician shadowing. Shadowing is not something that requires hundreds of hours, but 20 hours with 5 different physicians shows that you have some clear understanding of the career of a physican.
4. Your notes here and on the MD aps link don't strike me as particularly passionate about a lifelong commitment to medicine. Your essay and interview may have been different, probably not. This may be your deal breaker. Only you know.
6. Your grades are great, but that MCAT VR of 8 is a giant red flag to my eyes. Your a 19 yr old fast track genius on paper and you tank the VR? Not good. Maybe, just maybe, you need to consider retaking that.
7. It would seem unlikely you would get an interview if you lacked the proper amount/type of classes. That's probably not your problem. If you didn't check all the pre req boxes, it's foolish to waste time interviewing you.
8. You can fix the above pretty easily, but I would wait another year to apply. You probably need the time to address all the concerns.
Good luck.

Yo OP, print this out and carry it around in your pocket. I think IlDestriero nailed it.

Like everybody said, OP is seriously ignorant and does NOT know anything about medical admissions, period. The fact that you are asking why you did not get into a single medical school with AP courses covering many of pre-requisites alone indicates how lacking you are in this process.

I am actually surprised that Texas medical schools decided to give this student interviews. Really. I also think that what's more disturbing is that OP has NOT indicated anywhere why he/she wants to become a doctor, and I'm sure that was reflected in the application.

And let's face it - from medical school's perspective, do you think they would really expect this guy to rock USMLE Step's after acing prerequisites like this? I doubt it.

Your application seems to be impressive enough stat-wise to warrant admission. I would have to agree that it is likely the interview or leadership. Other than that it might be the verbal or LORs. I know it's extremely difficult to nail down what happened without any feedback... I didn't get in my first time in Texas (got 4 interviews), but just matched this cycle.

Since there might be a possibility of some 'age discrimination' going on, I would focus on finding some impressive sounding leadership roles as this would imply maturity. Also, I would get some work experience in with the EMT thing. You can bring this up in your next interview as proof of your committment to the overall healthcare field and that you are 100% dedicated to becoming a physician--also showing your maturity.

Speaking of interviews, if you're pre-med office staff is as unhelpful as mine was, I would suggest going elsewhere for interview help. I found a psychologist in Fort Worth who specialized in career and interview counseling. It cost me about $150 for 2 hours one-on-one, but I learned all sorts of "tricks" that she helped me gear especially for a medical interview. We also went over effective ways to word the answers to the most common questions. That was extremely helpful.

Last edited:
Like everybody said, OP is seriously ignorant and does NOT know anything about medical admissions, period.
If AP was a deal breaker, they wouldn't have interviewed him in the first place. He knows enough to get 5 interviews. How many interviews do you have?

Paul, while you revamp you application, I would still think about writing update letters. Also, this may not be an option for you, but you could apply to FAU when open up on AMCAS in a week or so (accepting for Fall 2011 start).

And let's face it - from medical school's perspective, do you think they would really expect this guy to rock USMLE Step's after acing prerequisites like this? I doubt it.
What do medical school pre-reqs have to do with the Step? Notta.

Apparently you are the one who knows nothing about medical school.

I've never really understood the whole thing against AP courses, I mean most follow up with upper levels anyway (especially if you're doing any sort of science major), and in my opinion, its usually much more difficult to earn a 5 (that's all my school will take for credit at least) on an AP exam than it is to do well at a lot of CC courses, which there seems to be less of a stigma about.

It's an unfortunate situation but I'm going to agree that either interviews were off, or you're just too young. Being young is a good thing though, there are a ton of things you can do to boost your app for next cycle and it won't put you at all "behind the curve" since you're all ready a few years early :)

Good luck.

So you are definitely NOT an idiot for graduating in 2.5 years. That is one of the most ******ed things I have ever heard. If you know what you want to do and can balance it with real world experiences then more power to you for graduating early. Personally, I think its financially irresponsible to spend more than four years on a Bachelors degree. I also don't think people should make general judgements based on your age. Not every 20 year old is an immature child. Clearly, your ability to complete the classes and thrive in various health care settings shows you have the maturity to respond well in those situations. That being said it may be how you're presenting yourself in the interviews that is hurting you the most. The AP credit should only be a factor if you didn't take the upper level classes afterwards for things like Chemistry. I don't see English or Calc being that big of a deal. Congratulations on graduating early and having your priorities straight!