What to do after submitting???!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swongy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I do believe there are similar thread, but I want to be a little fun and stress-free with this topic!

I just submitted my VMCAS and the supplementals, so I was wondering what you guys do to keep your mind off of decisions and vet schools!!

good luck :D

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend volunteering in your community, reading a good book, or picking up a new hobby.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone!

I do believe there are similar thread, but I want to be a little fun and stress-free with this topic!

I just submitted my VMCAS and the supplementals, so I was wondering what you guys do to keep your mind off of decisions and vet schools!!

good luck :D

Did your transcripts get verified already? If ya did, how long did it take? I did the Transcript entry service and now I'm worried they won't finish it all in time for Oct 2nd

Members don't see this ad :)
@Lightinthedark thanks! as of right now, i am trying to occupy myself with a whole bunch of work and volunteering. i will take up a new hobby to relax me in a different way :D

@Meurks not yet! I just submitted them today- literally! I don't imagine them actually sifting through my application til Tuesday. But, VMCAS does says it takes about 2 weeks to process and verify. Good luck with your application :)

@Lightinthedark thanks! as of right now, i am trying to occupy myself with a whole bunch of work and volunteering. i will take up a new hobby to relax me in a different way :D

@Meurks not yet! I just submitted them today- literally! I don't imagine them actually sifting through my application til Tuesday. But, VMCAS does says it takes about 2 weeks to process and verify. Good luck with your application :)

I submitted mine already too, but with their new coursework service you have to submit everything before they even have the coursework finished, hopefully they do mine after labor day haha. Good luck to you too! Maybe we'll be Cornell '19 classmates :)

Reactions: 1 user
I would recommend volunteering in your community, reading a good book, or picking up a new hobby.

Best damn advice ever given. I swear I'm always amazed at how many people go into a frenzy after submitting. Just move on with life. The application process will come find you when it's ready.

What to do after applying is obvious: keep working on your application by building experience. It's a no-brainer. Either it pays off because you don't get in and you're that much further ahead for the next go-around, or it pays off because you do get in and you've just spent that much more time building up contacts in the vet community that may pay off down the road.

Reactions: 3 users
Best damn advice ever given. I swear I'm always amazed at how many people go into a frenzy after submitting. Just move on with life. The application process will come find you when it's ready.

What to do after applying is obvious: keep working on your application by building experience. It's a no-brainer. Either it pays off because you don't get in and you're that much further ahead for the next go-around, or it pays off because you do get in and you've just spent that much more time building up contacts in the vet community that may pay off down the road.
A great point. So many people (including myself in the past) only value experience in terms of how it can benefit their application, rather than seeing the other benefits. One vet I've worked with told me that she wished she hadn't gotten into vet school on her first try so that she could have gained more experience.

I realize this is supposed to be a light-hearted thread, and of course taking some time for non-vet med related pursuits is both well-deserved and healthy. But if you realize in April that you're going to have to apply again, and you spent the past 7-8 months just sitting around biting your nails, or watching Netflix, or working your same job/finishing up pre-reqs, you're going to be that much more behind. Even if you don't have to apply again, during interviews schools like to hear that you've been continuing to get experience.

But back to the initial question, after I've got everything submitted I plan on, as suggested up-thread, actually reading for fun, and catching up on some of my shows I'm way behind on. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Panic until your mind decides to forget you're applying to vet schook as a defense mechanism. It may sound like I'm kidding, but since I submitted my applications months ago, there have been times that people ask me how the app process is going and I'm like "oh that's right vet school..."

I like this @Felixor90! Then, when I magically get that email or call, I will be completely and utterly shocked lol :soexcited:

I submitted mine this week, so the waiting begins...... None of my eLORs have been submitted yet and only 1 of my 4 has even started. I need to stop looking every 5 minutes to see if anyone finished it yet. I hope they start getting them in soon so my application can be verified!

I submitted mine this week, so the waiting begins...... None of my eLORs have been submitted yet and only 1 of my 4 has even started. I need to stop looking every 5 minutes to see if anyone finished it yet. I hope they start getting them in soon so my application can be verified!
If it helps, as I recall from last year you'll get an email whenever someone submits one. :)

Yeah, VMCAS sends you an e-mail when your evaluators have submitted their recommendation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they send an email after everything is verified?

@Meurks I just got my stuff verified from VMCAS. Got an email notice. I submitted it the labor day weekend, so it probably took them a week or so to verify the coursework. Don't worry :D

I am rather curious how many people are applying this cycle. These threads have been pretty quiet compared to last year, but maybe that will change. In other words it feels good to finally be getting down to the wire! I submitted my stuff back in July and all I have been doing is working two jobs to distract myself and save money!

I'm betting the threads will pick up once interview invites start going out.

This process is way too stressful lol

on the brighter side...it's already mid-september!! :D staying positive amidst all the chaos and stress :nod:

I will become even more positive once I get verified and submit my final supps. :x

OK just submitted, so stressful but at least I don't have the option anymore of reading and re-reading my application ten times a day. It's out of my hands now.

Anybody else starting to get anxious with the deadline coming up in two days??!?!
I mean I know we have everything all done, but for some reason I am freaking out. Maybe it is because it seems like just yesterday was June 5th....

Anybody else starting to get anxious with the deadline coming up in two days??!?!
I mean I know we have everything all done, but for some reason I am freaking out. Maybe it is because it seems like just yesterday was June 5th....

I'm having that same problem. I keep going back and checking on my applications making sure I didn't forget anything...even though it's all submitted and finished, and totally out of my hands now. :)

Did your transcripts get verified already? If ya did, how long did it take? I did the Transcript entry service and now I'm worried they won't finish it all in time for Oct 2nd
I did the same thing!! They said even if your courses arent entered my Oct 2 you are still meeting the VMCAS deadline so its okay

I'm having that same problem. I keep going back and checking on my applications making sure I didn't forget anything...even though it's all submitted and finished, and totally out of my hands now. :)
I am still waiting for mine to be verified!:bang:

I am still waiting for mine to be verified!:bang:
Me too! Does anyone know how long verification should take at this point? Some schools say they already have my VMCAS on their portal page so IDK what that means?

So what I have been told is that the schools are able to access our apps as soon as we submit. Even before they are verified. I have a friend who submitted 3 weeks ago and was just verified yesterday and another friend who submitted last week and was verified in 2 days, so I am not exactly sure their process on this!

I have a friend who submitted 3 weeks ago and was just verified yesterday and another friend who submitted last week and was verified in 2 days, so I am not exactly sure their process on this!
Weird! It took a while to get my application verified but I figured it was because I have transcripts from two different schools and 179 credit hours.

Weird! It took a while to get my application verified but I figured it was because I have transcripts from two different schools and 179 credit hours.
Dang. Ill probably wait a while too then. I have transcripts from 3 different schools. :(

Dang. Ill probably wait a while too then. I have transcripts from 3 different schools. :(
I don't know, really. That's just my experience. Doesn't mean it's the overall trend. :)

I don't know, really. That's just my experience. Doesn't mean it's the overall trend. :)
I have a feeling this will be the longest 4-5 months of our lives! Ha ha

Reactions: 2 users
So...I submitted my VMCAS application 3 weeks ago, and it still says "Your application is MEETING VMCAS REQUIREMENTS". I'm not screwed, am I?

If fortunate enough to get into one school right away, will there be enough time to wait for all the other acceptance/rejection letters to come in from other schools before accepting the offer??

If fortunate enough to get into one school right away, will there be enough time to wait for all the other acceptance/rejection letters to come in from other schools before accepting the offer??
You'll have until April 15th to decide on one school. After the 15th is when schools will start calling waitlisters. But to ensure your seat in a school (whether it be your first pick or not) you have to put the deposit down before the 15th.

So...I submitted my VMCAS application 3 weeks ago, and it still says "Your application is MEETING VMCAS REQUIREMENTS". I'm not screwed, am I?
Nope, as long as you had everything, including all three evaluations, in by the deadline, you're fine. Verification is just taking longer this year than last.

Nope, as long as you had everything, including all three evaluations, in by the deadline, you're fine. Verification is just taking longer this year than last.
I just hope that verification gets done in time for other supplemental apps to be completed by deadlines, like OSU.

I just hope that verification gets done in time for other supplemental apps to be completed by deadlines, like OSU.
Im in the same boat! Mine still says Meeting VMCAS requirements. Hoping it gets verified by the time OSU's supplemental is due, but then there are people who submit the day its due and they have gotten into OSU. So I don't think we should worry quite yet!

Im in the same boat! Mine still says Meeting VMCAS requirements. Hoping it gets verified by the time OSU's supplemental is due, but then there are people who submit the day its due and they have gotten into OSU. So I don't think we should worry quite yet!
If you mean submitting VMCAS the day it's due and being fine for OSU, keep in mind that VMCAS didn't do verification before last year, and last year it was much quicker (IMO because they scared people into thinking they had to be verified by October 2nd, so more people submitted earlier). Not trying to make you worry, but this year is a little different. I didn't apply to OSU, but I imagine if the verification process is delaying people's ability to start the supplemental, they'd extend the supplemental deadline.

Yes, most schools (if not all) have their main decisions before the April 15th deadline. That being said, if you got accepted to one school, and waitlisted at another you want to really go to, you can pay the deposit for school number 1 and wait (after April 15th) to see if you get into school number 2.

If you mean submitting VMCAS the day it's due and being fine for OSU, keep in mind that VMCAS didn't do verification before last year, and last year it was much quicker (IMO because they scared people into thinking they had to be verified by October 2nd, so more people submitted earlier). Not trying to make you worry, but this year is a little different. I didn't apply to OSU, but I imagine if the verification process is delaying people's ability to start the supplemental, they'd extend the supplemental deadline.
I DIDNT KNOW THAT! Now Im super worried!! I have a friend who submitted Oct 2 last year and mustve been verified before the supplemental deadline because she got into OSU. Now Im super worried.

I DIDNT KNOW THAT! Now Im super worried!! I have a friend who submitted Oct 2 last year and mustve been verified before the supplemental deadline because she got into OSU. Now Im super worried.
Like I said, not trying to make you worry! I don't know when their supplemental deadline is, but like I said, if verification delays people's ability to gain access to the supplemental, I would think they'd extend the deadline rather than punish people for unexpected delays on the part of VMCAS. VMCAS has said multiple times on here that if you had everything in by the deadline, you're fine, and verification will continue as long as necessary. You could call OSU on Monday to be sure.

Like I said, not trying to make you worry! I don't know when their supplemental deadline is, but like I said, if verification delays people's ability to gain access to the supplemental, I would think they'd extend the deadline rather than punish people for unexpected delays on the part of VMCAS. VMCAS has said multiple times on here that if you had everything in by the deadline, you're fine, and verification will continue as long as necessary. You could call OSU on Monday to be sure.
I think I will call Monday! Thanks!!

I think I will call Monday! Thanks!!
The Ohio State College of Veterinary Medicine's supplemental is due October 31st at 1:00 PM so you should be ok but they're PPI is due October 15th. just to let you know. :)

I feel bad I submitted my VMCAS so early because now I have over 200+ Equine hours. Think I can mention that at the interviews? Haha

I feel bad I submitted my VMCAS so early because now I have over 200+ Equine hours. Think I can mention that at the interviews? Haha

Definitely. Some schools even allow you to send email updates, but I'd only do this if it is a super awesome experience or in a new category you don't have already. Not sure where you applied, but I think Tufts, Auburn, Ok State, Glasgow and Penn accepted my updates. Illinois, and CSU didn't if I recall, and I don't remember about Missouri.

During my first year of application, VA-MD and UGA also accepted my update if I remember correctly.

Oh, awesome! Thanks for that information!

Of course you should mention it if you get an appropriate opportunity! Not only is it worth it to know that you've got more hours than your application says, but just the fact that you're continuing to build experience after submitting says something about you.

Don't hesitate to bring it up if it makes sense in the context of whatever they are asking.