What to expect during interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pillpharmer

Grabbin' pillz.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know some interviews require presentations kinda like a grand rounds assignment. Are there any other tips to prepare for residency interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

I know some interviews require presentations kinda like a grand rounds assignment. Are there any other tips to prepare for residency interviews?

Interview day activities will vary widely from program to program. They might include a presentation (prepared ahead), case presentation (developed on site or ahead), group interviews, 1:1 interviews, etc, etc.

Each site should let you know if there is something you need to prepare ahead of time (e.g. presentation).

Otherwise you should practice interview questions, think about examples from rotations/other situations to support your candidacy, generate questions you want to make sure you get answered during your interviews, etc.

I spoke to one residency coordinator from a site that required presentations ... she said they were always a bit annoyed when the topic of the presentation wasn't relevant to the site (e.g. peds presentation for a hospital that doesn't have a peds unit for example).

Members don't see this ad :)

Its a small thing but usually there is a tour involved (a looong tour in large hospitals) so wear comfortable dress shoes (especially important for the ladies).

I spoke to one residency coordinator from a site that required presentations ... she said they were always a bit annoyed when the topic of the presentation wasn't relevant to the site (e.g. peds presentation for a hospital that doesn't have a peds unit for example).

Yeah that's just poor prep by the candidate.